Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may have been there before but after upgrading to v1.1 on the iOS app ad v4.3 on the car, when I turn AC on standing next to the car, the small LCD screen turns on and starts pulling current from the wall (reads 240V 40A) but it is not charging since I have it charge in the middle of the night.

Concur, even though my app says Ideal, the number it displays is rated. This was working properly in 1.0. Little bug. Otherwise love the update. Also noticed that after it is charged, if I set it to Range the app shows it is not charging, but in fact the car starts charging again.

Might be a dumb question but: If I preheat the car when it is NOT charging, does this help or hurt efficiency? Is the preheat just for driver comfort in cold weather, or does it help the battery heat up before you start driving. If so, is there a point of diminishing returns as far as how long you preheat and how many degrees you raise the interior temp?

Of what I understand, preheating an unplugged car does only help comfort!
It deminishes range and does not heat the battery!
Battery is only heated when charging

Can I stop charging remotely by apple app? I don't want to keep charging when the car is charged full and I am not in San Jose for 3 months. Thanks

Yes. I don't know if it will then automatically start charging again when it loses a set amount of charge. I believe so. Anybody? I assume it will start again if u have scheduled charging set, when that time comes the next day.

I also notice the latest mobile app release now shows a colored ring at the charge port, I've seen green, does anyone know if it will show yellow and red as well? That could be helpful in remote diagnosing a charge issue, like mains problems or a loose connector at the charge port.

UPDATE: i checked in my garage, pulling the charge connector out till it was yellow, charging started, but at the reduced current rate (12A i think, on my 14-50). the mobile app port ring was still green, but the charge current did correctly indicate the reduced rate. so, seems like they haven't yet programmed different colors for the ring in the mobile app. fwiw.

Last edited:
Can I stop charging remotely by apple app? I don't want to keep charging when the car is charged full and I am not in San Jose for 3 months. Thanks
Yes, the app allows you to stop charging. If you're away for awhile, though, just plug the car in: it will automatically top up the charge daily. There's no need to manually stop and start the charging in this case.

In the car, of course, it is a setting. you can have ideal or rated range displayed in the speedometer screen. The app used to follow it and display the same. Now it seems to only display Rated range

- - - Updated - - -

2 more things noticed with the new version of the app. First, seems to be taking longer than before to connect and display the information from the car. Second, they seem to have changed the graphics on the Climate control. there used to be red or blue arrows displayed to indicate if the car was heating or cooling to get to the target set temperature. Now the graphic shows a combination of blue/red (looks like violet) arrows instead no matter if cooling or heating. I think the previous system was better and communicated some extra information.

Totally agree. It wasn't broke, so why did ya fix it? (bad English intentional) I have my theory but it's total conjecture on my part. One time I was heating my car and I noticed that the temperature must have overshot, as cooling had begun (blue arrows in mobile app). It's possible that TM didn't like the "appearance" of inefficiency in the process, so they are not providing that feedback anymore. This is total conjecture on my part but I see no reason for the change - the ver. 1.0 climate graphics were perfect. Big step backward as far as I'm concerned.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. I don't know if it will then automatically start charging again when it loses a set amount of charge. I believe so. Anybody? I assume it will start again if u have scheduled charging set, when that time comes the next day.

I also notice the latest mobile app release now shows a colored ring at the charge port, I've seen green, does anyone know if it will show yellow and red as well? That could be helpful in remote diagnosing a charge issue, like mains problems or a loose connector at the charge port.

UPDATE: i checked in my garage, pulling the charge connector out till it was yellow, charging started, but at the reduced current rate (12A i think, on my 14-50). the mobile app port ring was still green, but the charge current did correctly indicate the reduced rate. so, seems like they haven't yet programmed different colors for the ring in the mobile app. fwiw.

My experience with 4.3 was that when the Rated miles on my 60 dropped to about 185 charging would start up again, then shut off at 190 (full Rated charge on Standard). I didn't use the car for about four days and that process repeated over and over.

So, just an additional reason as to how AWESOME Tesla is, as a brand & company: I emailed Tesla (via their CONTACT US form on their main website) a brief note about the bug in v1.1 concerning the stuck ideal/rated range display.

Within an hour someone from Tesla in California called me directly to thank me for my feedback, to let me know that they know about the issue (they'll be rolling out a fix soon), and if there was anything else they could help me with.

Truly spectacular!

...I wish there was more from them I could buy! (I already have an X reservation..)

Just got mine, iPhone, update was there waiting, wrong rims but always was, I think you have to call to get that corrected. Great!!

Not sure how you can tell by the picture if your wheels are 19" or 21".....

i did have chrome wheels on my app (before and after the updste) even though I own the gray/smoke colored wheels. I then got the MS 4.3 software update today...and now my app shows the gray wheels!!!

the app AND the car must have to be updated....

Where in the app do you see the color of the charge ring? On iPhone I don't see that anywhere (or is that because I'm still on 4.2?)

A future iPhone app feature I'd like to see is a way to turn on the battery warming system from the app.

TESLA PLEASE NOTE: this Would be great - will be great - and is almost critical for those cold winter days when one leaves the house fully charged for a long ride. If the battery is not warm, it is like leaving with only 85% of a charge (number estimated). Makes all the difference not only for range but also for performance for the first 20 min or so, while regen awaits a warm battery before fully kicking in. And this, in turn, makes range even worse, not to mention driving without regen is like - oh my - drivng a gas car. And we just don't do that anymore.

A future iPhone app feature I'd like to see is a way to turn on the battery warming system from the app.
The app can't do anything the car can't do, and currently there's no "keep the battery warm" option on the car. The closest I've come is to start a Range charge at 5 amps. Unfortunately, the app doesn't allow you to adjust the amperage of the charging, yet.

The app can't do anything the car can't do, and currently there's no "keep the battery warm" option on the car. The closest I've come is to start a Range charge at 5 amps. Unfortunately, the app doesn't allow you to adjust the amperage of the charging, yet.

The car can do whatever Tesla wants it to do (that's what the software updates are!!!!!).

So when ToddR says he wants the app to do it....it's one in the same!

First Tesla sends software update to car allowing preconditioning of battery with the app. Then they update the app for the same!

bazinga!