Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost iPhone or Android and disabling access to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking for one of my phone (it is a BB which runs early version Android) recently and I could not find it, my main worry at that time was whether I have lost it. This is my second phone and this also has Tesla app but I did not enable bluetooth key for this. Unfortunately as this is an Android I enabled NFC, so the phone can act like a back up key card. I was quickly thinking what needed to be done in case if I lost my phone. I googled and searched TMC but not many threads. So thought we can add an useful thread that can come up if anyone does a google search.

iPhone users:
This is straightforward. No NFC so iPhone cannot act as key card. If you have enabled bluetooth use the keycard (to enter the car) and disable mobile access from console’s security menu. This disables app access completely. However, this also disables if your partner or another member using phone as a Key. Let them know that you are disabling it till you can confirm that you have lost your phone. And if you are pretty sure you have lost it - remotely erase the app. If you are unsure then try and log out of the Tesla account in a webpage and that will log you out in the app.

Also remove the phone from the key list and this disables the bluetooth key.

To transfer the phone access to a new phone please follow the Tesla video how to activate mobile phone as key.

Android users:
This is slightly tricky as most of them have NFC and act as key card if enabled. First, repeat the para 1 as iPhone. But the tricky bit is variations in Android versions make it difficult to have a common solution of remotely erasing the app. Now the phone I have has a older version of BB modified android and there are no credible information on how to erase the app remotely, AVOID USING OLDER VERSIONS OF ANDROID as with some there are difficulties in completely disabling the app or phone.

Then remove the phone from the key list and this disables the bluetooth key and removes the physical key. I am not 100% sure whether this removes the NFC physical key as before I removed the phone I found my lost phone, so couldn’t test it.

Repeat the para 3 once you get the new phone.

THIS ALSO APPLIES TO MODEL Y

Last edited:
With modern phones - both iPhone and android - without the passcode/fingerprint/face unlock the storage remains encrypted and inaccessible so it’s far more likely a thief would factory reset and sell on eBay.

(Even that is less common now as IMEI blacklist effectively renders stolen phones useless).

Still worth removing from the list of keys etc. because *sugar* happens.. just not as urgent.

Also, to completely remove app access change your password. Change it back again if you like - the change invalidates the stored tokens forcing the app to log in again.

Reactions: spdpsba
With modern phones - both iPhone and android - without the passcode/fingerprint/face unlock the storage remains encrypted and inaccessible so it’s far more likely a thief would factory reset and sell on eBay.
an iphone cannot be factory reset if 'find my iphone' is activated as it will require the apple id password to disable it first, most stolen iphones just go for parts

an iphone cannot be factory reset if 'find my iphone' is activated as it will require the apple id password to disable it first, most stolen iphones just go for parts
We recently had a company phone which had been lost or stolen turn up on eBay.

We found out about it when the person who had bought it phoned up to get it unlocked as the software on it locks it and displays a message.

Reactions: drdumont