Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone app not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife left the house at 10am to drive the golf club. As she was leaving the house I went to my phone (to see if she'd managed to get the heater on) and the wheel (top left of screen) spins round saying last seen 2 minutes ago and it has been spinning ever since, now (still spinning) saying last seen 2 hours ago!! I called Tesla and the agents response was 'what I am seeing is saying your car is off-line - that's weird!' - 'can you get your wife to call us when she's in the car' I've tried switching my phone (iphone) on and off. Any dieas?

It doesn't need to be online to function.
+1

You can still get into your car when the mobile phone networks are broken or you're out of signal range (underground parking, mountains, alien invasion). Bluetooth is local, card use is local. Just need to be physically close.

Only times it might be a problem (might be more I haven't thought of):
  1. your wife doesn't switch on phone's bluetooth
  2. she doesn't know that an android phone can be used like the card (NFC - How to use NFC on Android: Mobile payments, tags, fast pairing, and more) even without bluetooth on. Or she may have Apple phone or her android phone might have NFC disabled (some by default)
  3. phone battery dead (always take card as backup)
  4. phone & card both get stolen/locked away/lost - I try to separate them - card in wallet away from phone or my wife has it elsewhere (varies)

cancel the rescue party - she's back . . . . . the simultaneous two button push ion the steeing wheel sorted it
I had this issue a couple of weeks ago. One morning car offline. Had not fixed itself by the evening so i did a reboot problem solved. If it happened a lot i would be annoyed but a one off ( so far) i can live with. At least the new Ryzan reboots sooo much faster.

It doesn't need to be online to function.

No necessarily true. An offline car may be 'offline' because of a problem with the 'car computer' and a problem with the car computer may prevent the car from being used, especially if pin to drive is enabled. Been there, done that... intermittent hardware issue causing 'car computer'/MCU not to boot, car undrivable, needed a replacement car computer.

Whilst it is is a common occurrence where we regularly park semi underground and easily explainable, its less so less so on other occasions and concerns of deja vue.

Normally not an issue especially if easily explainable like weak signal, but if it happens regularly, it may be an early indication that the car computer is having issue.