Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Key Delay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 Model 3 LR and an iPhone 13 Pro. About 50% of the time I get a 5-10 second delay when trying to open the door or trunk (sometimes sentry mode activates). Is this normal?
Not sure....

We have been having an issue with ours (M3LR purchased 10 Aug 22) and have been having similar issues to what you mention. We also have been having an issue where my wife's iPhone 7 will not connect and we have to restart the bluetooth OR she has to unlock via the app. Maybe it is because I use my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra and it seems to like that better.

Considering a key fob for my wife just to make life a bit easier.

Let me know what you figure out please as I have zero solutions at this point.

Wife's LG phones seem a bit laggy as the phone key. My Samsung S10+ opens the door immediately like 99% of the time. The LGs are more like 90%.

It might have something to do with how the phone deals with low energy bluetooth or where the antenna is.

Wife's LG phones seem a bit laggy as the phone key. My Samsung S10+ opens the door immediately like 99% of the time. The LGs are more like 90%.

It might have something to do with how the phone deals with low energy bluetooth or where the antenna is.

Yeah not entirely certain on how it all works but it is frustrating for us. I try to tell my wife to be patient for a bit but as a local garage door company says...."When you want in...You need in...." LOL

where (on her person) does she keep the phone? Like, it doesnt work as a key for me in my back pocket, unless I turn sideways (as an example). It doesnt work very well "through" the human body. If she has her phone in a bag / purse, and that purse is at her back (instead of in front of her) when she tries to open the door, that could do it.

Reactions: rpiotro
The success of the phone-as-key seems to vary a lot. I had similar problems (and sometimes worse) with delays about 20% of the time when using a OnePlus 5t; but since upgrading my phone to a Google Pixel 6 Pro, those problems have disappeared (with the caveat that the Tesla app is no longer auto-launching for me). This experience illustrates the fact that some phones work better than others because of software versions and/or hardware. That said, the general consensus is that iPhones work better than Android devices, on the whole, although newer Android devices work better than older ones. The iPhone 13 is a new enough model that I wouldn't expect it to have problems because of its age, so I suspect that something else is going on. Some ideas:
  • As @jjrandorin suggests, keeping the phone close to the car's antennas (in the driver-side outside mirror, IIRC), without intervening body parts or a mass of stuff in a purse or backpack, may help.
  • It might be worth unpairing the phone, uninstalling the Tesla app, removing the phone from the Tesla's list of keys, and then setting everything up again. When setting it up, keep any other phones that are set up as keys, and perhaps even unpaired Bluetooth devices, well away from the car or turned off. The idea here is to provide as clean a Bluetooth signal to the car as possible. Some of these steps may be overkill and unnecessary, but they aren't likely to cause problems, beyond being an extra hassle, and if there's even a chance that they'll work, they may be worth doing.
  • I'm not an expert on iOS settings, but check whatever you can to be sure the Tesla app is actually launching and is not being put to sleep by iOS.
  • Look for patterns in when and where the failures occur. For instance, are they more often at home or at some specific location(s)? If so, there may be some source of RF interference at the problem site(s). Do the failures occur shortly after restarting the phone? If so, the Tesla app might not be automatically launching. Do they occur when the phone hasn't been used for a while? If so, then iOS might be putting the Tesla app to sleep.

where (on her person) does she keep the phone? Like, it doesnt work as a key for me in my back pocket, unless I turn sideways (as an example). It doesnt work very well "through" the human body. If she has her phone in a bag / purse, and that purse is at her back (instead of in front of her) when she tries to open the door, that could do it.
I keep mine in a front pocket facing up and forward. Much more reliable that way. iPhone 13 mini. My wife's iPhone 12 mini seems to work much better. Go figure.