Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Key issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tfro9

Apr 24, 2019
PA
I am on 12.1.2. It seems last couple of days my phone key is not responding to my car unless I take it out of my pocket and unlock my phone or put it near the door handle. Is anyone else having this issue? Thanks in advance.

Did anyone ever resolve this issue. I've been seeing the same behavior now. I'm on 28.3.1. My galaxy s8 used to be perfect for months, now my doors won't open until I turn on my phone screen, even though the tesla notification says its connected to the car. I've reset the car (two thumb wheels), reset the phone, logged out and back in to the app, deleted and reinstalled the app, deleted the phone key from the car and set it back up, I even cleared the cache in the bluetooth app of the phone. Nothing seems to help!

Did anyone ever resolve this issue. I've been seeing the same behavior now. I'm on 28.3.1. My galaxy s8 used to be perfect for months, now my doors won't open until I turn on my phone screen, even though the tesla notification says its connected to the car. I've reset the car (two thumb wheels), reset the phone, logged out and back in to the app, deleted and reinstalled the app, deleted the phone key from the car and set it back up, I even cleared the cache in the bluetooth app of the phone. Nothing seems to help!
do you have any battery saver settings on the app through google settings? maybe location sharing or some other permission is misconfigured. of course if you deleted and reinstalled these things should be cleared out/reset. i'm guessing based on the fact that you have to actually have the app open on the screen for it to work, the issue is with your phone and not the car.

do you have any battery saver settings on the app through google settings? maybe location sharing or some other permission is misconfigured. of course if you deleted and reinstalled these things should be cleared out/reset. i'm guessing based on the fact that you have to actually have the app open on the screen for it to work, the issue is with your phone and not the car.

I turned off battery optimization for the app before I even picked up my car in December (I was a little excited and didn't want to have anything diminish the experience). I don't always need the app open, often the car will open once the phone is unlocked. I'm about 90% that the problem is with the phone, but I know that there were some tweaks to Bluetooth in the last fw update for the car (I know that they were for volume, so I didn't think that would affect this to much). I just tried clearing Bluetooth cache again and reset the phone, this time I also cleared the cache for the Bluetooth MIDI service and BluetoothTest (even though I have no idea what those are). Hope to see an improvement.

I also tried to send Tesla a bug report from the car, but I always get cut off before I can finish saying what the problem is.

do you have a corporate email app on your phone that prevents notifications on your lock screen? do you have any apps that act like a device admin?

I do have a work email account that can act as an admin, but it doesnt prevent notifications. I've had that account active on my phone the whole time and it has only stopped working in the past 2 or 3 weeks.

just trying to come up with ideas to help troubleshoot. i have a Pixel XL and the only problems i'll have is if I haven't been in the app in a while and the car doesn't immediately detect it. most of the time I just need to be closer to the front doors.

I've had a few successful attempts tonight. It started working again after I turned off my smart watch (gear s2) and then rebooted my phone. 3 successful unlocks with the phone still in my pocket, and one I had to take it out of my pocket but didn't have to turn it on. Hopefully this continues, but i wonder if there is a new setting in how the phone operates when there is already a bluetooth connection to a device.

Back to square one. Haven't been connected to my smart watch for a couple of days now and I'm still having trouble. I almost always have to either take the phone out of my pocket at the least, or turn it on to have the car recognize it. I was eventually going to upgrade phones, but wanted to wait at least a few more months. Now I'm thinking it might be my bluetooth radio sucks, but am nervous that I'm going to upgrade before I want to and it won't help at all.

This has been weird, but after being unable to use walk up unlock for about a month my 3 updated to 32.2.2 and it worked perfect since last night. The car was in for service today (replacing the wire harness for the drivers seat) so it'll see more use tomorrow but it hasn't worked this well in a while.