Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key locks car no problem, But doesn't unlock it as quick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What am i doing wrong?

When i walk away from the car it locks almost immediately.

When i walk to the car it doesn't unlock. I try the handle a few times before it finally unlocks.

The app is always open in the background but its just not slick enough and its annoying me. sometimes i have had to get my phone out and tap the padlock.

Any advice please? Is this common?

Another thought for those with issues, are you using any particular phone case? If so, have your tried it without the phone case?

The lock and unlock is based upon Bluetooth signal strength.

It is possible that some issues are actually a fault with the phone, e.g. a broken/damaged Bluetooth antenna from the phone being dropped. A test might be to pair some Bluetooth headphones and see how far you can walk away before the music breaks up and compare this to another phone. If the range is short, that will also explain the issues with the car

Upvote 0
OK think i've sorted it.

I did a sequence of events .. dunno which one fixed it as i did it all same time.

Deleted the phone key
Deleted the app and reinstalled it
reassigned the phone key
Removed the app completely from my work phone

Hey presto .. it works 100% of the time now.

Reactions: Dilly
Upvote 0
I have issues of unlocking when my 11 Pro is in my back pocket, but seems to work fine when in my front pocket. With locking i find it can lock too quickly. I quite often get out the car, walk around the back of the car to the charger cable, 7ft from the car, pick it up and here the car lock, so i can't then open the charge port without opening the rear passenger door! I guess solution would be to open the charger door first but i always forget!

Upvote 0
Only had the car for 6 days or so and it's started doing the same thing this morning, iPhone XR and of course has been fine since I set it up before leaving with the car for the first time.

Phone has the latest IOS version, app is latest version and set to always use location (actually tried both always and when using the app, neither have fixed).

Coincidentally, this issue appeared at the same time as a "charge port may not open when pressed" error on the screen, probably unrelated.

Reactions: AntCahill
Upvote 0