Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do with your house keys (for those that use their phone as a car key)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a moment yesterday, where we got home and realised neither of us had a house key on us. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s because we normally have a house key on our car keys, but now we‘ve got a Tesla and use the app to lock/unlock, it’s all a new routine.

Im wondering what you do? Do you have a phone case with a key(s) in it, or another solution.

Please share!

from the installation videos it seems the Nuki are supposed to stick to the door, so how would it work with the multi point doors?

it does whatever happens when you turn the thumbturn on the inside.

for me I don't have a handle on the outside so I have it set to 'open' rather than unlock. Because when I turn the thumbturn it pulls the main latch back.
- if people are in the house and its not multi-point engaged, that opens the door and people can come in
- if we've lifted the handle to engage the multipoint then you have to do the unlock once which unlocks and lets you turn the stubby handle on the outside to pull back the multipoint (but won't open the door). Then press unlock again which opens the door.

This is because my door won't open from the outside at all without a key in the lock.

For those that can just turn the handle on the outside to open the door, and therefore need to push up to engage the locks when you leave, I think you set it to 'unlock' so the nuki turns the thumbturn, the latch unlocks which then allows the multipoint to be retracted when you turn the handle on the outside?

does that make sense? Have a play with your door - pretend your hand is the nuki and turn the thumbturn to see how it'll behave.

Upvote 0
Btw the thumb turn is inside - one of the video showed fixing it on top of the keyhole. I don’t have a keyhole inside. Attached the door picture. The first one is outside and the next one is inside.
you can't fit a nuki straight onto a door with the lock and handle in one piece its designed to fit to an isolated lock. if you have a setup like above you either need to separate the lock and handle or get the Ultion Nuki.

Upvote 0
I stuck mine to a handle just fine. They come with tape for that. I tried the ultion but the problem with that is its limited to only three different hole positions for screws (which didn't match mine) and a fairly narrow range of lock depth which also didn't match mine. So I had to send it back.

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71
Upvote 0
I stuck mine to a handle just fine. They come with tape for that. I tried the ultion but the problem with that is its limited to only three different hole positions for screws (which didn't match mine) and a fairly narrow range of lock depth which also didn't match mine. So I had to send it back.
So what do I do? As @Jason71 mentioned do I have to separate the lock and handle? It all sounds bit too complicated for me now. I am sure @WannabeOwner is waiting for my installation reports as that will be a huge piece of entertainment.

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Upvote 0
from your pic I think it’d work fine. If you buy from amazon and it doesn’t work just return it - thats what I did with the Ultion.

https://shop.nuki.io/en-gb/spare-parts/nuki-adapter/ Regular Nuku should go over your thumbturn but you may need to order an adapter - check that link and see if you can match the manufacturer or take off the thumb turn to see underneath the shape. They’ll send that out for free.

Worth a try I think. The instructions show it being used exactly with doors like yours

Reactions: spdpsba
Upvote 0
you can't fit a nuki straight onto a door with the lock and handle in one piece its designed to fit to an isolated lock. if you have a setup like above you either need to separate the lock and handle or get the Ultion Nuki.
There’d be no issues attaching the Nuki to the pictured door handle and lock. Don’t know why you’re stating this isn’t possible?

The thumb turn does look too big, though, so it would need to be removed and instead one of the free adapters used.

Upvote 0
There’d be no issues attaching the Nuki to the pictured door handle and lock. Don’t know why you’re stating this isn’t possible?

The thumb turn does look too big, though, so it would need to be removed and instead one of the free adapters used.
OK my bad. I don't have one (yet) but I have been reading up on them. I thought the nuki was not designed for the type of elongated handles with locks that we have a lot in the UK which is the point of the ultion nuki. I thought the Nuki was designed for separate key and lock setups like this
1701163390986.png

if that is not the case then what does the Ultion component add?

Upvote 0
its pretty? It also has arguably a better cylinder as thats what Ultion is known for. so a convenient and secure swap over for an existing door. If your current door has the holes in the right place and is the right thickness and the ratio of front to back allows the cylinder to be correctly aligned. Which they didn't in my case.

Upvote 0
I know the European locks are different however no matter what you choose I would stay away from buttonless keypads, fingerprint readers and make sure you can open the door with a physical key just in case. I keep a key hidden in the yard which has not been used yet in 3 years. Electronics today are rather dependable but not 100% and batteries do die at the worst of times.

I am using this, not sure if there is something similar for European styles then again this may work fine depending on your door/deadbolt. Go with the built-in wifi version if remote lock/unlock is something you want and this also allows you to receive a message when ever someone enters identifying the person through the code you have assigned them. Been running 2 of these in extreme temps in Canada for 3 years now, not an single issue whatsoever.

Upvote 0
OK my bad. I don't have one (yet) but I have been reading up on them. I thought the nuki was not designed for the type of elongated handles with locks that we have a lot in the UK which is the point of the ultion nuki. I thought the Nuki was designed for separate key and lock setups like this
View attachment 994322

if that is not the case then what does the Ultion component add?
That was my concern, but posters above seem to think the Nuki can just be put on despite the handle would blocks the Nuki from being attached to the door....

Upvote 0
I know the European locks are different however no matter what you choose I would stay away from buttonless keypads, fingerprint readers and make sure you can open the door with a physical key just in case. I keep a key hidden in the yard which has not been used yet in 3 years. Electronics today are rather dependable but not 100% and batteries do die at the worst of times.

I am using this, not sure if there is something similar for European styles then again this may work fine depending on your door/deadbolt. Go with the built-in wifi version if remote lock/unlock is something you want and this also allows you to receive a message when ever someone enters identifying the person through the code you have assigned them. Been running 2 of these in extreme temps in Canada for 3 years now, not an single issue whatsoever.
Locks over here in Europe are different to what you use across the pond, so we generally can’t use North American smart locks. However, I agree that it makes sense to have a backup. I use cylinders that can still be unlocked with a key in an emergency (though as with you, I haven’t had to use my key in 5+ years). The Nuki can be set to notify during actions, such as locking/unlocking, etc. The notifications are configurable, so I have mine set to inform me if the door is left open too long, if I leave and don’t lock the door, and when someone enters an incorrect PIN.

In relation to the difference between the Nuki and the Ultion/Nuki: The Nuki is the basic key turner mechanism, which attaches to the lock on the inside of the door. It then turns the key or the thumb turn, depending on what your cylinder has on the inside. The Ultion kit is the key turner mechanism together with a matching door handle and dedicated cylinder that is “fully” compatible with the Nuki. In relation to this latter point, I’m referring to a lock that allows a key to be used from the outside even when the Nuki is attached on the inside. Standard cylinders in the UK don’t allow you to use a key from the outside if there is a key on the inside. However, thumb turn cylinders are obviously ok.

Reactions: Midnightsun
Upvote 0
That was my concern, but posters above seem to think the Nuki can just be put on despite the handle would blocks the Nuki from being attached to the door....
As long as there is enough space to fit the Nuki and still be able to turn the door handle (which most standard lock/lever combos will allow) then there’s no issue. I have one of my Nukis on the front door, which has a handle and keyhole in one piece. Absolutely no issues.

Upvote 0
I don't have spare keys hidden in the garden or in a key safe, but we do have ones in both car gloveboxes, and at least for my tesla I can remote unlock that if someone else like my kids needs to get in. They also have physical keys. So it starts to get pretty edge case to not be able to get in if something fails. I've been locked out due to forgetting keys three times which is probably more often than any failure of this system might bring..

Upvote 0