Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do with your house keys (for those that use their phone as a car key)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a moment yesterday, where we got home and realised neither of us had a house key on us. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s because we normally have a house key on our car keys, but now we‘ve got a Tesla and use the app to lock/unlock, it’s all a new routine.

Im wondering what you do? Do you have a phone case with a key(s) in it, or another solution.

Please share!

We *usually* always have someone home, so this is mostly not an issue... but if I expect that I'll need a house key I take our *other* vehicle key, which also has a house key on it.

I've been thinking about replacing my lock with a mechanical combination one. I don't want anything that needs batteries. Hidden key in the yard is another option. We've done neither of these yet though and have just been winging it for almost 3 years of ownership.

Reactions: neil_c
Upvote 0
We had a moment yesterday, where we got home and realised neither of us had a house key on us. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s because we normally have a house key on our car keys, but now we‘ve got a Tesla and use the app to lock/unlock, it’s all a new routine.

Im wondering what you do? Do you have a phone case with a key(s) in it, or another solution.

Please share!
Just get a Car Key Card Holder Protector Cover Key Fob Case from Amazon, and attach house keys to the ring. Keep in pocket just in case phone unlock doesn't work.

• Helpful
Reactions: KerryOH
Upvote 0

Please share!
I use a yale smart lock with a tab stuck to the back of my phone. so my phone now unlocks the car and house :)

Upvote 0
I keep my house keys on the same set as my Tesla keyfob, old school skillz.

I don't carry a wallet anymore though, just use Apple Pay and have a backup card on the back of my phone, so the Tesla key fob is my backup if the phone breaks.

Upvote 0
Hide a house key in the car.
We do this. Except it's our garage key. I hate bunches of keys in my pocket (notmally end up digging into my leg at some point). I used to use the keysmart thingy that turned your keys into a Swiss army knife kind of thing which I loved as it was neat and no jangling. But our new house has the bigger round keys and they don't fit. So hence just leaving via garage.

Upvote 0
Im wondering what you do?

Jam jar under the hedge in a concealed place with a spare key in it. The house has an alarm, so the key alone is not going to prevent the ensuing racket ...

We *usually* always have someone home, so this is mostly not an issue...

Me too, but that makes it a much bigger issue for me as I find I am now often heading out to the shops without a key as that habit has gone ... but I do have the hidden key. Perhaps an electronic lock is the answer.

I bought a wooden box for parcels recently. It sits on the porch, and works well. I don't really need a lock on it - the packages used to just sit on the porch until they were rescued, but I thought I should get something so I bought a cheap fingerprint padlock - I figured having to stuff a key into the padlock every time , or key in a bunch of numbers, would be a pain. Awesome! Just "thumb-forefinger pinch" the lock, and it opened. Cost me less than a tenner.

Until it stopped working. Red light every time. I thought about cutting it off, but I spent 50-quid on lock picking shims instead!

Moral: If you get a finger print lock, and given they normally allow a large number of authorised fingerprints, then fingerprint ALL your fingers!

Upvote 0

Please share!
Been there and done that
I can to crawl into rhe kitchen window and slide across the sink and counter

Now my wife has a spare key and I carry this in my Magsafe wallet
1693841936782.png

Next, HomeKit front door lock

Upvote 0
I've been thinking about replacing my lock with a mechanical combination one

We've got one at work. You can press the 4 digits in any order ... and of course (given it is used often) its obvious, from wear, which buttons to use ...

You can use a lock box for those times you forget

My elderly Father in Law has one ... same thing, buttons-in-any-order

I'm sure there are ones that are more secure than that ... but watching the LockPickingLawyer I now think that most locks are inadequately secure!

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
Upvote 0
they just go on a keychain along with the little fob thing that lets me in the office.

We’ve been locked out a couple times but for our door unless you lock it from the outside (whihc means you have keys) you can open it by turning teh handle on the inside. Which we found out when we called a locksmith who pulled an L-shaped bit of metal out of his van, popped it through the letterbox and opened the door in about 10 seconds. Shocked us

Since then I’ve kept something similar in the boot just in case - had to use it twice. If we’re leaving the house we’ll lock it which helps us to remember to take the keys with us.

I considered putting a spare in the boot of the tesla as its at home a lot now and I can remote open it - might do that

Upvote 0

Please share!
Fairly new to Tesla but our cars for the last 20 years have been a hybrid Prius and a hybrid Camry, both of which are a somewhat large key fob that really doesn't fit on a keyring, so for 20 years we fostered a habit of checking whether we had BOTH car fobs (in case either me or my wife needed to switch cars with the other) and checked that we had our house keys, which we both have on our own separate keychains. We are just about to install an electric keypad on our new front door, one that is not a wifi or internet based home control network but just a stand alone battery powered lock with a keypad. As of right now, I am more likely to forget my phone so I can't easily start my Model Y than I am to forget my house keys or the Camry key fob just because of habit. I do carry the Tesla card in my wallet as my backup for forgetting my phone or letting my phone battery die.

The Prius died two weeks after we got our Tesla Model Y last February. with a dead hybrid battery cell or cells, and because it had also been in an accident 2 years ago that left body damage we decided it wasn't worth spending $2000 to $3000 on getting the defective cell(s) replaced with refurbished ones.

Upvote 0

Please share!
You need one of these. 😉
Yale Assure Lock SL Touchscreen Deadbolt - Black

Reactions: mspohr
Upvote 0