Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pic of your Model 3.......RIGHT NOW! [model 3 pictures thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Ital You can go slightly larger in diameter, but not 3% because of the front knuckle. Sizes up to 26.8" outer diameter are generally safe fits. In some tires you can go up to 27" diameter sizes but others will rub the front knuckle in those sizes. Especially allseasons from what I've seen here, probably due to their relatively tall tread compared to summer tires.

Sizes like 245/45R18, 245/40R19, and 245/35R20 fit reliably. Tesla's official Track Pack comes with 245/35R20 on 9" wide wheels. However 255/35R20 on 9" wheels for example is borderline, some tires fit in that size, and some rub (unless you are willing to shave them).

Stock Model 3 tire sizes and nominal diameters (the actual exact diameter of a specific tire model will vary!):
235/45R18 26.3" (18x8.5" aero wheels)
235/40R19 26.4" (19x8.5" sport wheels)
235/35R20 26.5" (20x9" or previously 20x8.5" M3P wheels - note the Uberturbines are 9" wide so on newer M3P the 235s are actually stretched and that probably shrinks the diameter slightly!)

I've been running 245/45R18 on 18x8.5" wheels on my M3P, first summer tires, now allseasons in the same size. No issues, fits great. The difference vs 235/45R18 is small of course, but the 10mm wider 245s give 3.2% extra width, 6.3% extra sidewall, and 1.1% extra diameter. Those are all good things for this car in my book, even if the differences are small. Either is a perfectly standard width for 8.5" wide wheels.

I doubt that I could feel much difference between 245 vs 235 in the same tire model (assuming both are XL rated and with equivalent inflation), but on paper I like everything about 245s more. Plus 245s were generally cheaper last time I was price comparing!
dude, this is great info! I need to save it. Thank you!
Did the wider tire affect your range?
I was thinking to keep the same width to be honest and go with a higher ratio, for example go from 235/45R/18 to 235/50R18, i am however considering new lighter wider wheels so I guess the wider tire would work better anyway :) I just want a more flush\aggressive offset, but I do not want to lose a lot of range. Thanks!

I was thinking to keep the same width to be honest and go with a higher ratio, for example go from 235/45R/18 to 235/50R18, i am however considering new lighter wider wheels so I guess the wider tire would work better anyway :) I just want a more flush\aggressive offset, but I do not want to lose a lot of range. Thanks!

Try out some spacers. I have spacers on my car and it really changes how stock wheels look. it might be what you’re looking for.

Reactions: Rothgarr
@Ital Well I was coming from the 20" M3P setup so I gained range/efficiency going to 18", even with the slightly wider tires, non-aero wheels, and grippier tires from the same summer performance category. I wasn't looking for better efficiency but got it anyways, was pleasantly surprised.

I'm sure the base Model 3 OEM setup with aero covers and eco LRR tires is even more efficient, but I don't care. I want grippy performance tires and I'm not into hubcaps. Just my preferences. (I'd rather my brakes can breathe a little, for those times when I do push the car hard, and I'm not into the aero cover look anyways.)

From what I've seen here, going wider like 265+ does impact efficiency, though often the folks doing that are running <= 240 TW track/street dual use tires, which is another important variable. (Tires like that can be literally sticky and I'm sure have more rolling resistance than most non-winter street tires.) Even staying same width but pushing your wheels out to a flush fitment (lower offset wheels or spacers) could impact aerodynamics though I haven't come across many direct comparisons. Obviously very aero-focused cars like Honda Insight, Aptera, etc tend to keep their wheels well covered so I'm sure keeping them tucked vs flush makes some difference.

That said the Model 3 has pretty darn good range and efficiency. I'm quite happy with it and for my driving there's no need to sweat a few % here and there. However if you're regularly pushing the limits of your car's range and getting stressed about making it to your next charging stop, then yeah best to make these decisions carefully with that in mind!

Edit: Btw 235/50R18 is too tall, that's 27.3" nominal diameter and I'm pretty sure any tire in that size will rub. If you want more sidewall on the stock 18x8.5" wheels go for 245/45R18!

Reactions: JssonB and Ital
@Ital Well I was coming from the 20" M3P setup so I gained range/efficiency going to 18", even with the slightly wider tires, non-aero wheels, and grippier tires from the same summer performance category. I wasn't looking for better efficiency but got it anyways, was pleasantly surprised.

I'm sure the base Model 3 OEM setup with aero covers and eco LRR tires is even more efficient, but I don't care. I want grippy performance tires and I'm not into hubcaps. Just my preferences. (I'd rather my brakes can breathe a little, for those times when I do push the car hard, and I'm not into the aero cover look anyways.)

From what I've seen here, going wider like 265+ does impact efficiency, though often the folks doing that are running <= 240 TW track/street dual use tires, which is another important variable. (Tires like that can be literally sticky and I'm sure have more rolling resistance than most non-winter street tires.) Even staying same width but pushing your wheels out to a flush fitment (lower offset wheels or spacers) could impact aerodynamics though I haven't come across many direct comparisons. Obviously very aero-focused cars like Honda Insight, Aptera, etc tend to keep their wheels well covered so I'm sure keeping them tucked vs flush makes some difference.

That said the Model 3 has pretty darn good range and efficiency. I'm quite happy with it and for my driving there's no need to sweat a few % here and there. However if you're regularly pushing the limits of your car's range and getting stressed about making it to your next charging stop, then yeah best to make these decisions carefully with that in mind!

Edit: Btw 235/50R18 is too tall, that's 27.3" nominal diameter and I'm pretty sure any tire in that size will rub. If you want more sidewall on the stock 18x8.5" wheels go for 245/45R18!
That is good to know... as long as the range is not drastically reduced, I am fine.
You seem to have so much knowledge about wheels and tires, that is great!
I need to do a lot of research that is for sure. I still do not know what offset works best; I do not want to spend a ton of money either. I am thinking i will most likely get a "Fast Wheel" 18x9.5. with a 35mm offset, maybe with the 245 widths as you suggested, maybe something concave would be nice... of perhaps a Forgestar wheel :)
I would stick with 18 with good performance tires that is for sure, but I like the taller side wall.
Thank you so much!

Reactions: tm1v2
Try out some spacers. I have spacers on my car and it really changes how stock wheels look. it might be what you’re looking for.
Spacers make all the difference in the world. I have spacers with my stock 18" aeros and it looks so much better.

NOTE: In the pic below, I lowered it in Photoshop, but the wheels being pushed out are all from the spacers (20mm front / 25mm rear)

headshotb.jpg

I didn't see a thread for specific colors so I figured I would start one.
This thread can be repurposed for others with Blue Model 3's to see what different wheels/badges look like before they buy.

Here's my 21 Model 3 Long Range with 19" Sport wheels PlastiDipped (Black base, Metalizer-Graphite Pearl, Top coat Glossiifier)
Next up, black emblems all around.

9fV8qBT.jpg

Which wheels are these? Very nice

Reactions: pipestem
Black emblems now on a Blue Model 3.
I went with with these from Teslamaize (ABS T's and Metal Dual Motor)

Better pics when its not so crappy out and I can get a proper wash in too.
Overall, about an hour to do the whole process of remove, clean, install.\

Next up, touch up the plastic-dip on the wheels and get the drivers window re-tinted to fix a chip and small tear.

Attachments

• aRTUdF9.jpg
    aRTUdF9.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 99
  • fhD8AlP.jpg
    fhD8AlP.jpg
    738.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Ve2DozI.jpg
    Ve2DozI.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 97
  • AQAynDj.jpg
    AQAynDj.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 86
  • KiPNQ6x.jpg
    KiPNQ6x.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 9k5Uf2K.jpg
    9k5Uf2K.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 86
  • r7ScYJs.jpg
    r7ScYJs.jpg
    650.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 6VXzD0y.jpg
    6VXzD0y.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 94
Can you post a picture? Apologies if you already have one on this thread... But it's... Long. 😂

Where do you live?
Can you post a picture? Apologies if you already have one on this thread... But it's... Long. 😂

Where do you live?
I’m in North Carolina
It’s a 2 finger gap…. Little more than I want, but I also don’t want to scrape and mess up the car…. I have very high speed bumps here….

Attachments

• 14F06C98-FAA9-41F2-9234-869979A94E31.jpeg
    14F06C98-FAA9-41F2-9234-869979A94E31.jpeg
    498 KB · Views: 125
  • DAEB3E6A-FC50-4763-9E44-118960BCDDA4.jpeg
    DAEB3E6A-FC50-4763-9E44-118960BCDDA4.jpeg
    420.6 KB · Views: 140
  • A2245856-98DB-45A5-A222-0C0BCB314915.jpeg
    A2245856-98DB-45A5-A222-0C0BCB314915.jpeg
    473.2 KB · Views: 129
  • F60357FC-A802-431E-AD72-8FF329A8D917.jpeg
    F60357FC-A802-431E-AD72-8FF329A8D917.jpeg
    553.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 782E0E1F-6867-4A9A-AC64-39380BCC6F73.jpeg
    782E0E1F-6867-4A9A-AC64-39380BCC6F73.jpeg
    762.7 KB · Views: 142
Black emblems now on a Blue Model 3.
I went with with these from Teslamaize (ABS T's and Metal Dual Motor)

Better pics when its not so crappy out and I can get a proper wash in too.
Overall, about an hour to do the whole process of remove, clean, install.\

Next up, touch up the plastic-dip on the wheels and get the drivers window re-tinted to fix a chip and small tear.
The Teslamaize T's and Metal Dual Motor emblems price is excellent compared to the cost of one Mr.Emblem T logo for the rear of my Model Y that I just ordered!