Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pick one: Premium Sound OR Smart Air Suspension

Pick ONLY one: Smart Air Suspension OR Premium Audio

• Smart Air Suspension

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • Premium Audio

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The decision about premium interior - for me anyway, would be interested to hear other viewpoints - isn't about a suade substitute composite over textile throw in. It isn't even the various lighting additions; ambient lighting, cornering lights, fog lights, running lights, et al, are nice to have but not compelling. For me it's the power lift gate, and specifically, the memory setting to keep it from going to max height.

If the option package were parsed further I would opt for PLG and forego most if not all of the remaining items.

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: DRLs are standard & not in the Premium Interior & Lighting option.

/rookiehasnotorderedyetmistake

What was that about the car code?

I'm not exactly sure what you were talking about here CricTic - Car Code? My wife keeps saying the SAS is "gimmicky" and not worth the $2,500. I am thinking now that I want to get it and then show her how useful it can be! Our son is on a traveling soccer team - we always wind up at some grassy, crappy field out in the middle of nowhere. That would be a great opportunity to have the SAS, raise it a bit to increase clearance.

Also, I think my ultimate goal with MS is to create the most efficient vehicle on the planet (for the time being of course!). The slight improvement on aerodynamics by lowering the vehicle at speed plays into my design perfectly + the 19's.

I wasn't sure what you meant by that part of the post.

I think I just got it though. SAS = British Special Air Service?

Do a search for Tesla 007 and you will find that for cars with Air Suspension, you can press and hold the Tesla T on the screen, enter 007 as the access code after releasing when it blinks, and your car diagram on the suspension screen will not be James Bond's boat rather than you car. I showed that off yesterday and it was pretty cool.

zHB6Eh6.jpg

Last edited:
I have >10,000 miles on an S with premium audio, and >10,000 miles on an S without premium audio.

I have >10,000 miles on an S with coils, and >10,000 miles on an S with air.

Ultimately this is up to what you value most, but:

-As others have said, audio can be upgraded (can anybody say Reus?!?) first time around I went with upgraded sound (it was $950 at the time) but I wasn't entirely happy with it because of certain frequencies distorting. To my knowledge this is still the case with today's upgraded sound system. I went with the basic audio and upgraded to the Reus system. Suspension cannot be retrofitted.
-Air suspension technically improves aerodynamics at speed, but based on my personal experience and what I've heard from others, this difference in efficiency is imperceptible given all other variables (wind, temps, etc.)
-Suspension height is not a problem with coils or air. However, the drawback with air is that you explicitly have to raise the car with air, whereas coils always ride slightly higher than normal setting on air car. I scraped bottom probably 4 or 5 times with air, and have never scraped with coils.
-Air is more expensive, complex, and maintenance is potentially much more expensive.
-Air is heavier.
-Most think air is slightly more aesthetic, because the car rides lower.
-Coils are a bit stiffer...more of a sporty feel.

I had this same decision to make. I went with basic audio and upgraded to the Reus system because sound quality was more important to me, and I wanted to avoid the potential maintenance costs of the air system.

If I were you, I'd look at it this way:

-If the look of the slightly raised coil car (compared to air on low) or a slightly stiffer suspension doesn't bother you, go with the premim sound.
-If there's a possibility you might later spend a few thousand dollars to upgrade your sound system and potential maintenance costs or the air system don't worry you, go with air.

Todd, thanks for this. I'm rereading it again. I've completely resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to upgrade the sound afterwards for less than the $2,500. But, I'm still on the fence about even getting the air. It would fit within the wife's budget, but long-term costs associated with SAS scares me and it only moves (6.4-4.7) 1.7 inches? That doesn't seem like much. What I'm expecting though is maybe TM will "open" that range and allow them to lower more or go higher via OTA update. If I go coils, then I miss out on this upgrade.

I drove SAS and then coils back to back and felt not much difference at all. The wife wanted the C7 so maybe I get the coils and show her why we chose MS over it! :)