Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up a 'new' Model Y on Inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the EDD uncertainty club (May -> July -> June -> June 19-30 -> ???)

Last weekend someone tipped me off to check inventory every morning. A Model Y with <220 miles appeared Monday morning. By the time I tried to register and pay the deposit, someone had snapped it up. The same happened Tuesday. Wednesday, I was quick enough and managed to get one. As it happens, the same spec' as I have on order. White, Black Interior, Enhanced AP and 19" wheels. Another appeared on Thursday and again yesterday. I'm not sure why Tesla are drip feeding them out.

I was concerned that something was wrong with it, so on Friday called and spoke with Tesla. They said there are several reasons for them coming up, but the most common is a lack of research into electric vehicles. People hear the buzz around Tesla, buy, but haven't considered the change that needs to be made to own an EV. They then return them to Tesla.

Anyway, I got the car I want. It was registered in April. It has <200 miles on the clock (I would have done most of that collecting from Southampton). I'm getting for 54k instead of 58.5k as there is no VAT (but Tesla are making a good profit still). Best still, I am getting it next week.

With the uncertainty on the EDDs, if you don't mind a lack of choice in specification and the fact you will not be the first registered owner, check the inventory around 9:30 and save a lot on money at the same time.

If you want to the first owner and pay full price, and you're after an MY W/B/19/EAP, you have just gone up in the queue by 1. :)

Last weekend someone tipped me off to check inventory every morning. A Model Y with <220 miles appeared Monday morning. By the time I tried to register and pay the deposit, someone had snapped it up. The same happened Tuesday. Wednesday, I was quick enough and managed to get one. As it happens, the same spec' as I have on order. White, Black Interior, Enhanced AP and 19" wheels. Another appeared on Thursday and again yesterday. I'm not sure why Tesla are drip feeding them out.

I was concerned that something was wrong with it, so on Friday called and spoke with Tesla. They said there are several reasons for them coming up, but the most common is a lack of research into electric vehicles. People hear the buzz around Tesla, buy, but haven't considered the change that needs to be made to own an EV. They then return them to Tesla.

Anyway, I got the car I want. It was registered in April. It has <200 miles on the clock (I would have done most of that collecting from Southampton). I'm getting for 54k instead of 58.5k as there is no VAT (but Tesla are making a good profit still). Best still, I am getting it next week.

With the uncertainty on the EDDs, if you don't mind a lack of choice in specification and the fact you will not be the first registered owner, check the inventory around 9:30 and save a lot on money at the same time.

If you want to the first owner and pay full price, and you're after an MY W/B/19/EAP, you have just gone up in the queue by 1. :)
Be very careful with ‘new’ inventory cars, i went to pick up a <600 mile M3P up a few months ago and the car was in a terrible state so i rejected it!

I'm hoping you were just unlucky. I just called my friend who tipped me off to this. He said his car was perfect and effectively 'as new'. Fingers crossed.
Perfect, it can be hit and miss with the inventory cars - a couple of threads around it, but sure yours will be fine!

mine had badly curbed wheels, scratches on the bodywork and the inside was pretty tatty, i was paying only a few K under a brand new P so rejected it and kept my LR, fingers crossed my Y arrives soon!

Reactions: Lee Davis

I did the same. Pick it up Wednesday. Good luck with yours.

Reactions: Lee Davis

I'm confused by this. I've had a Tesla since 2016. What change is there to move an EV? Maybe I've forgotten.

Just had a very disappointing phone call from Tesla. Apparently they can't release any inventory cars until the first week of June now ( I was supposed to collect Wednesday), some very vague excuse regarding software. Can't give a firm date either. Very very annoying!