Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up Model Y Today Substandard Tires - Class Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WHICH Continental tires are on your car? Various sizes, within each brand's tires, have varying tread depths.

Fairscott: SC said 7/32" inches, NOT 8 mm. You might be onto something though, if the tech was reading the gauge in MM, not inches.

7mm = 9/32"
8mm = 10/32"

I think the gauge might be questionable. I find it hard to believe that Conti would release a tire that isn't very close to their advertised depth, which is 10/32", according to their website.

Reactions: hcdavis3
It is inches.
Odd that it would occur twice.
Last year on the nearly new Model X
And now on the new Model Y.
Will also check at local Continental dealer.

Attachments

• 20201110_121722.jpg
    20201110_121722.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: JavTPY
WHY would Tesla install a set of brand new tires on your "used" or "inventory" car with only 1,200 miles on it? My guess would be the delivery person thought they were new tires when in fact they were NOT new but 1,200 miles USED.

If the 1,200 miles were as a demo, loaner, or "Tesla employee" vehicle, it likely was driven "like it was stolen" with many full throttle starts... which obviously would reduce the original tread depth.

We bought our "inventory" 2015 Model S P85D at a discount off the showroom floor of a local Tesla store with 2,900 miles on it with the original obviously USED (not new) 21" Continental ContiSportContact tires... that lasted until ~ 20,000 miles.

Honestly it sounds like this is CLICK BAIT to try to publicly shame Tesla to install a set of NEW tires on an "inventory" or "used" vehicle with 1,200 miles on it. Makes NO sense to me.

I'd love to see if Tesla discounted the vehicle price... which obviously would cover some tire wear. Post the Vehicle Quote or Purchase Invoice showing if a discount was given.

Reactions: X Fan
Local Continental dealer just confirmed that the ContiProContact™ Specifications for
255/45 R 19(100V) (Model Y) should be 10/32 new.
Left message for service manager.

Pending......

But isn't your Tesla with 1,200 miles already on it NOT new ???

What discount did you receive for buying it with 1,200 miles on it?

Please provide all the facts...

But isn't your Tesla with 1,200 miles already on it NOT new ???

What discount did you receive for buying it with 1,200 miles on it?

Please provide all the facts...

Read all the facts.
I bought it new and returned to have the LUDICROUS download which wasn't available at time of purchase.
With 1200 miles on it, I realized the tire tread was 7/32. Likely impossible.

WHY would Tesla install a set of brand new tires on your "used" or "inventory" car with only 1,200 miles on it? My guess would be the delivery person thought they were new tires when in fact they were NOT new but 1,200 miles USED.

If the 1,200 miles were as a demo, loaner, or "Tesla employee" vehicle, it likely was driven "like it was stolen" with many full throttle starts... which obviously would reduce the original tread depth.

We bought our "inventory" 2015 Model S P85D at a discount off the showroom floor of a local Tesla store with 2,900 miles on it with the original obviously USED (not new) 21" Continental ContiSportContact tires... that lasted until ~ 20,000 miles.

Honestly it sounds like this is CLICK BAIT to try to publicly shame Tesla to install a set of NEW tires on an "inventory" or "used" vehicle with 1,200 miles on it. Makes NO sense to me.

I'd love to see if Tesla discounted the vehicle price... which obviously would cover some tire wear. Post the Vehicle Quote or Purchase Invoice showing if a discount was given.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both the X and the Y were new. I would never buy a used car for the reasons you have stated.
Read all the facts.
I bought the 2019 Model X NEW and returned it to have the LUDICROUS download which wasn't available at time of purchase.
As a standard of service they always check the tread when your car is in. The tech came to me and she said the tread on all of your tires is 7/32. Likely impossible with only 1200 miles on it. That is what raised my attention to check the tread on the New Model Y I picked up this week.

And sure enough, another 7/32 tread reading on all four "new" tires. This forum is for sharing information to help and protect TESLA buyers and owners. Just encouraging other new owners to check their tread wear on their new vehicles to ensure it meets new car standards.

Now, if TESLA wants to put less than new standard tires on their vehicles, I don't have a problem with it, but they need to inform the purchaser that they are not getting a new tire with the industry-standard tread depth (Conumer awareness), just like HP does with their introductory ink cartridges on new printers. Introductory tires. Who would of thought? I know of no other car company that does that?

Who know Tesla may not even know that they are being sold these 7/32 tires from Continental? I'm a TESLA fanboy and not bashingTESLA, just trying to protect the consumer and improve communication. Like the man said, "Who would think to check the tire tread on a new care." Well, now we have reason to.

Who would think to check the glass roof on a new car, so it doesn't fly off on the way home. Rest assured, I made a good check of the Model Y roof before I left the lot. That's why there are numerous checklists and videos out there to help the buyer beware.

• Disagree
Reactions: nyghthawk
Thanks for the info
8 mm is 0.315 inch
10/32" is 0.325 inch
7/32" is 0.218 inches

Sounds like you got new tires with the correct tread. Thanks again.

Sorry, I actually meant 8/32", not millimeters.

TireRack.com lists Michelin Primacy MXM4 for our Model 3 as 8/32" tread depth. Cross Climate+ is 9/32". Pilot Sport All Season 4 is 10/32". Not every new tire has 10/32" of tread depth.

Reactions: BrokerDon

TireRack.com lists Michelin Primacy MXM4 for our Model 3 as 8/32" tread depth. Cross Climate+ is 9/32". Pilot Sport All Season 4 is 10/32". Not every new tire has 10/32" of tread depth.

ContiProContact™ Specifications for
255/45 R 19(100V)

Is this your tire? If so, Conti specs say it should be 10/32 Yes it is.

Encouraging news. The service department replied. "We will measure your tire when you arrive for your service appt."

Model Y Tires.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: nyghthawk
Picked up the LR Y today.
The delivery was uneventful and smooth.
I had to ask them for my self-referral credit which they took care of straight away.
Largely a no-touch delivery. Had plenty of time to examine the vehicle.
Found only one small superficial scratch on the front bumper which I documented, but think it will rub out.

Major issue for me. Got the worthless Continental Tires. Now listen up!

I made the delivery rep check he tread all the way around and surprise!! They are all 7/32.

Now wouldn't you think when you order a NEW car, you would get new tires???

I had this same experience with my Model X, but it had 1250 miles on it before I got to measure it.

This really reeks of a CLASS ACTION SUIT to me. Anyone on board, let me know and I will get the atty.

View attachment 607205

View attachment 607207 View attachment 607210 View attachment 607211 View attachment 607208 View attachment 607209
Somebody need to do a little research on tires before claiming some type of fraud.
I had to ask them for my self-referral credit which they took care of straight away.
Found only one small superficial scratch on the front bumper which I documented, but think it will rub out.

I made the delivery rep check he tread all the way around and surprise!! They are all 7/32.

I had this same experience with my Model X, but it had 1250 miles on it before I got to measure it.

This really reeks of a CLASS ACTION SUIT to me. Anyone on board, let me know and I will get the atty.

View attachment 607205

View attachment 607207 View attachment 607210 View attachment 607211 View attachment 607208 View attachment 607209
Did you ask Tesla to fix the issue and replace it? People need to take it a little easy on resorting to legal action as their first option to address a potential issue.[/QUOTE
Picked up mine today. No issues with tires. You should learn a little more about tires before spouting off nonsense. BTW the tires are not worthless. Not great for ice and snow but a decent OEM tire. Why didn’t you order the performance tires on your Y? https://m.tirerack.com/tires/rating...Y+Long+Range&autoModClar=&fromTireDetail=true

Reactions: BrokerDon

View attachment 607205

Somebody need to do a little research on tires before claiming some type of fraud.

View attachment 607205

Read all the facts.
I bought it new and returned to have the LUDICROUS download which wasn't available at time of purchase.
With 1200 miles on it, I realized the tire tread was 7/32. Likely impossible.

Somebody need to do a little research on tires before claiming some

Did ask TESLA to replace them. Their initial response was that it was a tire warranty issue. They now are agreeing to measure the tire tread again at their first available service appt on Dec 29 at which point I how they don't say it is "wear".

What is the tread wear on your new delivery?

BTW your research link shows that 4.1 out of 10 owners would buy the tire again. I would not consider that support of your point or that it is a good tire.

If your new delivery tires are 10/32, then Congratulations. That's the information I have been looking for (research).

Point is - I have received two new Tesla vehicles with Continental tires with 7/32 tread. Wanted to know if this is a pervasive issue at which point it would be of class action variety.

I have also had two blowouts with low mileage Continental tires, so I wouldn't feel comfortable using autopilot with them. I'd keep my hands on the steering wheel and be safe.

Model Y with 750 miles here. I have the same Conti's as OP. This morning's measurement is the same as the one I took the day of delivery. I measured at two points, one at a wear bar and one at full depth. I also checked across the tire, as there is sometimes variation there. My measurements were 8/32 at the wear bar, 10/32 at full depth. Tread depth was consistent across the width of the tire.

My second career was as a partner at a GM dealership. Thirty-three years there, plus several years as an active auto-crosser. Also an avid rider of sport bikes during that time. My point. Between appraising trade-ins and my own enthusiasm for driving I am well used to monitoring tread wear. I will throw out another observation from my experience. It is not an unusual thing to see a difference in tread depth on new equipment tires (OEM) and the same tire bought from a tire supplier. In my experience, this is normally small, but sometimes on the order of 2/32.

I hope this adds some value to this discussion. Enjoy your Tesla and cheers!

Reactions: Fairchild
Model Y with 750 miles here. I have the same Conti's as OP. This morning's measurement is the same as the one I took the day of delivery. I measured at two points, one at a wear bar and one at full depth. I also checked across the tire, as there is sometimes variation there. My measurements were 8/32 at the wear bar, 10/32 at full depth. Tread depth was consistent across the width of the tire.

My second career was as a partner at a GM dealership. Thirty-three years there, plus several years as an active auto-crosser. Also an avid rider of sport bikes during that time. My point. Between appraising trade-ins and my own enthusiasm for driving I am well used to monitoring tread wear. I will throw out another observation from my experience. It is not an unusual thing to see a difference in tread depth on new equipment tires (OEM) and the same tire bought from a tire supplier. In my experience, this is normally small, but sometimes on the order of 2/32.

I hope this adds some value to this discussion. Enjoy your Tesla and cheers!

Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated.

Update: Discount tires measured the tire tread today at 8 all the way around.
I don't understand all the negativity towards you and I think you are on to something. Just checked my tires MY AWD w 1500 miles and all at 8/32 depth (to bottom not wear bar) which is odd. Tire is not on Continwebsite so just sent them email. These are extra load 104W which could be the difference as they still have a decent 400 treadwear index.