Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up X100D Saturday, went to service Tuesday!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no it isnt ... that's a quality failure issue. THIS is an engineering problem - which we'd rather just live with, rather than deal w/ more shop time;

But since we might get another Camry as a loaner (as opposed to the loaner S we currently have - this time w/ rear windows that won't go up without seriously messing w/the switches) ... we'd rather struggle w/ the flaky MS loaner on pure EV.
During Yesterday's fiasco w/ our X not getting fixed proper, again - i couldn't help but notice a P100d model X owner (still had paper plates) getting a Mercedes SUV as a loaner, & the rep told him to save gas receipts and Tesla would pay for it. We've recently experienced no loaner scenarios. Anyone wonder if the loners are lemons that Tesla had to buy back - & would rather use as loners, rather than fix & sell at a super cheap price w/the lemon stigma? Just a thought.
Anyway - these issues are embarrassing - when excited / non-tesla folk inquire about how cool it is to have an X.

This reminds me of the first showroom Model X I looked at closely back in mid 2017 which had some very poor fitting body panels. But the handful of later cars I've inspected (3 or 4 examples at the Tesla showroom - late 2017) and my own car (Feb 18) are a whole lot better. Still not perfect (I have a very minor alignment issue with my passenger side FWD), but nothing I would be concerned about. Speaking to the local SC guys they are saying that delivery faults are much fewer than they were less than 12 months ago and usually less serious. I still don't think the panel fits are up to the standard of premium German cars, but they're not the disaster that they once were. The door panel fit and paint quality on our Nissan Qashqai is not as good as our Model X for example. Obviously the Qashqai is a £25K car, but Japanese build quality is often considered a good benchmark. Aluminium is also more challenging to work with than steel too, so combined with the complex FWDs, Tesla made the whole panel fit thing about as difficult as they could have for themselves!

Reactions: paperjohn
My last Porsche 911 (2011 997.2 C4S) had two trips back to the service centre on a flat bed in the first year with two unrelated show-stopping electrical faults. Both windows would regularly fail to move down when closing the doors ending up with the glass on the outside of the seal (very annoying and a pain to deal with). The Moll OEM batteries they insisted on using for warranty were junk (had 2 fail in less than 3 years). The bonnet fit wasn't great either, but not such a big deal. Oh yeah and the rear light clusters used to leak and then steam up. The 2004 996.2 I had before that had far more serious engine problems (the infamous IMS failure requiring a replacement engine at only 30k miles) and then the replacement engine smoked liked crazy when cold and went through a litre of oil every 1000 miles (apparently within spec). It was embarrassing firing it up in the morning and eventually traded it for the 997.2 and was glad to see the back of it. At least the engine in the 997.2 stayed together for a few years. Both great cars to drive though! But quality engineering is a bit of a stretch IMHO. Oh and our local service centre is rubbish too. So I'm not rushing out to order a Taycan just yet!

Yikes, looks like your Porsche experience is like our Tesla experience. I would understand if you had a hesitancy to purchase any Porsche products. Similar to your experience, I do like the way the Tesla drives (for now). I think Tesla really doesn't have a competitor in the market so there may be a bit of complacency. Hopefully, other competitors like the Taycan will inspire some sort of quality control initiative. Lets see...

None of us has data on this. If you go to any (yes, any) car forum you would be lead to think the maker produces absolute junk.

I believe we can all agree on the following two points: the OP got a substandard car by any standard, and engaging kindly with the service staff or refusing the car are reasonable courses of action when that happens.

For a new Tesla owner, I have to admit I'm not used to going on a forum where the majority of the threads and posts are dedicated to failures and defects. Sadly, these threads are not just me posting our experience :(.

Well you started a fair few of the recent negative threads, but yep there are quite a lot of threads dedicated to "issues". There are also quite a few dedicated to the flip side of how amazing the X can be too. It's just one of those cars that's packed with great cutting edge tech that sometimes goes wrong. The company is young and ambitious too, so that doesn't help with quality either. I don't think this is the right car for anyone with the mentality of expecting near perfection in build quality and reliability. It's really a car for those who want to live a bit more on the edge and are thoroughly bored with the old school premium manufacturers who are still living largely in the past. If you want perfect panel gaps and top level build quality then Porsche is probably the best out there, but their SUVs are starting to look very dated next to a Model X. Unfortunately we can't have everything in one car, so we have to pick what's most important for us personally. In my case I really wanted a high performance EV with the cabin space the X provides, so I was happy to put away my micrometer and take a small risk.

Yikes, looks like your Porsche experience is like our Tesla experience. I would understand if you had a hesitancy to purchase any Porsche products. Similar to your experience, I do like the way the Tesla drives (for now). I think Tesla really doesn't have a competitor in the market so there may be a bit of complacency. Hopefully, other competitors like the Taycan will inspire some sort of quality control initiative. Lets see...

Yes it looks bad, but I still have a lot of respect for Porsche and I still own a classic 911. This is basically all the bad stuff I had with Porsche in the last decade. I did have serious issues with previous classic Porsches too, but that's another story! But despite the faults I still think they are great driving cars, just not the engineering perfection they are sometimes made out to be. I still frequent a few Porsche forums and you guessed it, there are some threads just like this one! Grass is always greener etc, lol

You already guessed it. They will say it is "normal" and within their specs. Like ghosting windshields, shudder, AC condenser/fan noise, misaligned panels, leather defects, heading etc.

I recently sent them a video w/ audio of my AC making hilarious loud noises that it had never made before (I've had the car for 18 months or so and 20k miles) and they replied "this is normal. you must not have noticed it before. we won't do anything."

Good luck.

But, but, all those minor issues should be accepted because Tesla is such a young company, trying to "disrupt" the world,....Remember Tesla is not a "car" company, but more like a software company making cars. You are STILL considered an early adopter after all. Suck it up and be quiet, lest you're called a "troll". Lol.

Sense this post has been hijacked from the OP, now I am curious what the resolution was without going through 5 pages of garbage.

Apparently our thread about the car being half repainted prior to delivery got merged with the other OPs so there are two OPs (??). The manager of the local Tesla dealership is bringing a paint meter to our car to verify tomorrow. Let see what happens...

Hi. So the part came in on Wednesday, and they have not touched the car at all this week. We were on vacation this whole week so it didn't really upset us too much but we very much thought we would have it back this (Saturday) morning. We actually planned to come home late Friday (road trip in a rented minivan) so that we would be here and ready to go get it Saturday. My husband has been tracking it on his phone and it hasn't moved at all. I'm kinda freaked out it has been on the lot all week. Who knows who has been touching it or dinging it. This coming Tuesday will now be 2 full weeks that our brand new Model X has been at the service center. I've driven it for a total of 15 minutes, and it has only gone back and forth to the service/delivery center otherwise. All for a faulty wire in the front that is mis-triggering the air bag alert. This is supposed to be our main primary family car. We only have two kids but regularly have a third kid in the car. If this car is going to spend alot of time at service, I will have to give it to my husband and get something more reliable.

We are actually kinda embarrassed. Friends and family knew about getting the car and everybody is like where is it? This kinda stuff only fuels the fire...