Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking out the best car has enabled me to find common issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am buying a White Performance Y and our Tesla lot has over 10 that fit what I want. So I have spent some time going over the cars to try to pick out the best one. Yes, very OCD. Going over the cars I find the same issues pretty consistently. Here is what I have found

- The front lights not being flush with the car on the bottom. In some I can put my fingers in underneath. Most had this issue to varying degrees.

- The rear passenger light is loose. This is the light piece that is opposite the one where you charge the car. I have discovered that I can fix the issue and been fixing on all the cars on the lot. Basically it was never clipped into place. You can do yourself by pushing it in until clicks. I had graded all the cars before I realize you could fix. So had to re-grade afterwards. Before this problem meant a no go.

- The rear doors are not flush. This problems tends to be a lot worse on the passenger side than the driver. But found it on both. All 10+ of the cars I am grading had this issue to varying degrees. I measure how far my fingers go in on each car. I do wonder if this issue will go away over time and the foam or whatever breaks in. Because I have checked a few used Teslas and they do not seem to have the issue to the same degree.

- I watched a lot of YouTube videos and some of the problems in the videos were not present. So for example the rear hatch door was perfectly aligned on every one of the cars I checked.

- The problem that really bugged me and a few cars had is hard to describe. In the front around the lights there is a place where several pieces of metal come together. I have found on several of the cars the metal on one of the pieces that comes together is is bent up and not flush. I tried to push it down and it did not help. So these cars were all given an F by me. About 33% of the cars I looked at had this problem to a very noticeable degree.

- The best of the cars and the one I am going to purchase had a rough spot on the wheel. But I do not think it is from hitting a curb. It appears to be just a small defect in the wheel and I hope they will replace. I did not find this problem on a single other Tesla. Basically if you take your fingers and circle where the tire meets the rim I found the rough spot. It is very slight. I prefer the one I purchased did not have this issue but there was not another that was nearly in as good of shape. This one the front lights for example are nice and flush and there was not another that had the same. Plus the rear doors are NOT flush but they are the closes of all the cars but the demo one. The demo one the doors are perfect and why I suspect this issue probably goes away over time as the rubber piece breaks in.

BTW, I am old and purchased many cars in my life and never done anything like this before buying a car. But when I go outside and do the same inspection with our existing cars there is not one that has anything like these issues. I look at the cars and the pieces fit a lot better than the Tesla. The lights are flush. The doors are flush. Pieces are very well aligned. It makes me curious why is the Tesla so much worse than other cars in this aspect?

All the things your describe I see often on these cars.
Some are better than others. A new thing I’m seeing that really bugs me is the alignment of the windshield with the glass roof, or rear hatch glass. Used to alway be perfect, now the contour or curvature of the roof glass doesn’t match the contour and curvature of the windshield or hatch. Or the glass roof isn’t centered in relation to the windshield edges.
Hood alignment and consistent gaps have always been a problem.
Not getting these things right is ridiculous and unacceptable. It’s complete laziness and lack of pride in workmanship.
Asian built cars are all perfect.
Tesla have beautiful styling and contour lines, but if the parts don’t line up, it kills the look of the car.

All the things your describe I see often on these cars.
Some are better than others. A new thing I’m seeing that really bugs me is the alignment of the windshield with the glass roof, or rear hatch glass. Used to alway be perfect, now the contour or curvature of the roof glass doesn’t match the contour and curvature of the windshield or hatch. Or the glass roof isn’t centered in relation to the windshield edges.
Hood alignment and consistent gaps have always been a problem.
Not getting these things right is ridiculous and unacceptable. It’s complete laziness and lack of pride in workmanship.
Asian built cars are all perfect.
Tesla have beautiful styling and contour lines, but if the parts don’t line up, it kills the look of the car.
I will need to recheck the windshield alignment. I did not notice it but did not really look hard for it specifically. But I did check the alignment of the rear hatch glass and everyone of the cars this was perfect.

I watched a YouTube video of a guy where it was not aligned and was very poor. I expected to see some with the same issue but none.

BTW, all of the cars on this lot so far have been built in Fremont.

Or the glass roof isn’t centered in relation to the windshield edges.
Mine has this for sure… didn’t notice it until I installed the roof rack. The entire roof panel is way over to one side, so far that it was difficult to get the rack mounts into the channel and under the glass at the mounting points. The other side is 3x as wide. 😂

Oh well… 🤷🏼‍♂️

BTW, I am old and purchased many cars in my life and never done anything like this before buying a car. But when I go outside and do the same inspection with our existing cars there is not one that has anything like these issues. I look at the cars and the pieces fit a lot better than the Tesla. The lights are flush. The doors are flush. Pieces are very well aligned. It makes me curious why is the Tesla so much worse than other cars in this aspect?
I suspect it takes a lot more time (and therefore money) to get everything 99+% perfect instead of 90% perfect.

The reality is most people don’t even notice or care about the small details like that. As long as it doesn’t hinder sales then Tesla doesn’t care to improve. And for a while they were basically the only EV game in town. Only now are there really more competitive EV offerings coming to market and most are still behind Tesla on paper specs.

Reactions: ucmndd
I'm confused, where would they even let you look at all the cars, let alone pick one? When you order one it assigns a vin, are they able to just assign you directly which one u want?
They’re just parked out in the open. From OP’s story, they did their inspections, found the car that passed the OCD litmus test, and then took that VIN into the sales location and said “I want this one”. They then provided the link to order it as an inventory car.