Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking P3D or AWD with EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may not the case in US and Canada, but it will be the case in China.

Are you asking for a friend/relative who lives in China? If so, and I could be pulling this out of my a$$, I don't know if I'd trust AP just yet over there. The drivers mindset is different, lot's of random pedestrians and scooters, and depending on where you're at, the roads may not be drawn up clear enough for AP to track. The other thing is that the threshold for being "cut off" is a lot lower too, so the cars are operating from within inches of each other.

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
Personally, I'm glad I decided to get the LR RWD instead of MR+EAP. Having done the trial, it's interesting, but not worth the $5k for my use case. Furthermore, I've only used it for a couple ~90 mile trips, and it's already done some weird stuff like heavy deceleration at overpasses with no cars around and abruptly swerving back into the original lane after starting a lane change (for no reason... only 1 other car in sight on an open highway and it was way behind us).

When there's real FSD, then it pays for itself by allowing us to own just one car. Until then, it's cool and I'd be happy to have it for free, but I'd spend the money on something you can't add later.

Reactions: Wizard2416
If you plan to do any road tripping...
(Teslas are so much fun to drive you probably will)
Range is everything.
We are now an All Tesla Family.
I now drive a 2018 MS 100D.
My wife drives a 2018 M3 LR RWD
I went from a Model S 90D to a 100D.
The 100D has a range of 335 miles!
~301 @ 90%
What a difference!
Just drove the same 1100 mile trip I drove last year in the 90D.
Having ~40 miles of additional range was huge. Faster charging. No need to charge over 90%.
From what I’ve heard (Ride the lightning podcast - a P3D following a LR on an 800 mile trip)
The P3D gets you a 20% hit in range.
So 248 vs 310
At 90%
223.2 vs 279

I believe this was the episode. (178)
Ride the Lightning: Tesla Motors Unofficial Podcast by Ryan McCaffrey on Apple Podcasts
They don't make LR RWD anymore. Is the 20% comparing the P3D+ or the P3D-?

Range is important for sure, however AWD vs Performance range should not differ if they have the same wheels and tires assuming they are driven the same way. This also assumes you will want to do allot of range trips. For me I might do a road trip at some point, but the performance in my day to day is more important than extra charging during road trips (granted we would probably be in an ice SUV on a road trip anyways).

Reactions: jjrandorin
They don't make LR RWD anymore. Is the 20% comparing the P3D+ or the P3D-?

Range is important for sure, however AWD vs Performance range should not differ if they have the same wheels and tires assuming they are driven the same way. This also assumes you will want to do allot of range trips. For me I might do a road trip at some point, but the performance in my day to day is more important than extra charging during road trips (granted we would probably be in an ice SUV on a road trip anyways).
I believe he has a P3D+ & the other driver had a Standard Model 3, I didn’t hear him say weather or not it was AWD.
I have a LR RWD
Listen to the podcast

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
They do. You can still order it off menu. It's going overseas as well.

Tesla lineup for 3 will likely settle as

3SR
3SRD (though unsure if wise for Tesla to produce this)
3LR
3LRD
3P

3MR = LEMUR = Limited Edition, Medium Range
Really? I thought the LR RWD was only off-menu for a short period of time after the mid-range was introduced. I think it was a mistake to eliminate the LR RWD.

As said above: AWD LR and Performance model 3 has the same motors and they have the same batteries.
While the performance does let you utilize more power, the difference in range will just be down to tire choice if driven at same speed.

So you can put on better tires on the LR and it will drop in range :) But maybe you also gain some accelleration.
The performance can also gain some accelleration with wider tires, but its a good comprimize with OEM sizing for performance and range.

Really? I thought the LR RWD was only off-menu for a short period of time after the mid-range was introduced. I think it was a mistake to eliminate the LR RWD.

That was my understanding, also. Elon said the LR RWD would be available off menu "for another week or so" on Oct. 18.

Wouldn't be the first time something like that changed, of course.

Asssuredly the LR RWD is still in production because those are the same cars being sent to Europe and China.

It will be hard to find the information confirming it because new Elon tweets bury older tweets but the crux of it is that anything that has been available off menu is still available off menu.

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner
Asssuredly the LR RWD is still in production because those are the same cars being sent to Europe and China.

It will be hard to find the information confirming it because new Elon tweets bury older tweets but the crux of it is that anything that has been available off menu is still available off menu.

I mean, clearly they *could* do it, but would they? If I tried to off-menu order an LR RWD, could I? Would it be $47k ($2k less than before Jan 1)?

They also *could* build LR RWDs with white interior, but I haven't heard of it happening despite people trying to order them.

I guess we'll know for sure if someone does it!

I mean, clearly they *could* do it, but would they? If I tried to off-menu order an LR RWD, could I? Would it be $47k ($2k less than before Jan 1)?

They also *could* build LR RWDs with white interior, but I haven't heard of it happening despite people trying to order them.

I guess we'll know for sure if someone does it!

I am sure there are inventory LR left if you wanted to go that route. And I suspect that inventory can be easily replenished due to the identical cars being made for other markets.

Something to keep in mind is that off menu ordering should be much tighter at the end of Q4 due to the maximum production push.

Here’s an article that is less than 60 days old on the topic:

Tesla brings back all recently removed options as ‘off-the-menu items’

It takes extra work to install a 72AMP charger on a Model X. Extra work to install rear facing seats on a Model S, but Tesla seems accommodating.

I am sure there are inventory LR left if you wanted to go that route. And I suspect that inventory can be easily replenished due to the identical cars being made for other markets.

Something to keep in mind is that off menu ordering should be much tighter at the end of Q4 due to the maximum production push.

Here’s an article that is less than 60 days old on the topic:

Tesla brings back all recently removed options as ‘off-the-menu items’

It takes extra work to install a 72AMP charger on a Model X. Extra work to install rear facing seats on a Model S, but Tesla seems accommodating.

I actually bought an inventory 3LR RWD a few weeks agos, so I'm set haha

Just wondering if it's really still available or available with the white interior, for instance.

Reactions: Wizard2416
If you plan to do any road tripping...
(Teslas are so much fun to drive you probably will)
Range is everything.
We are now an All Tesla Family.
I now drive a 2018 MS 100D.
My wife drives a 2018 M3 LR RWD
I went from a Model S 90D to a 100D.
The 100D has a range of 335 miles!
~301 @ 90%
What a difference!
Just drove the same 1100 mile trip I drove last year in the 90D.
Having ~40 miles of additional range was huge. Faster charging. No need to charge over 90%.
From what I’ve heard (Ride the lightning podcast - a P3D following a LR on an 800 mile trip)
The P3D gets you a 20% hit in range.
So 248 vs 310
At 90%
223.2 vs 279

I believe this was the episode. (178)
Ride the Lightning: Tesla Motors Unofficial Podcast by Ryan McCaffrey on Apple Podcasts

Autopilot is more important than range, IMO. Then again, I wouldn't own a Tesla without Autopilot at all.