Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking P3D or AWD with EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I love the performance of the P3D, EAP should always win. It is such a game changer, you just have to have it IMHO.
Do keep in mind: you can add EAP later, but you cannot add Performance.
(Yes I know plenty of folks think that the Performance model is simply a software tweak. But you still don’t have the Brembo brakes and such. Until Elon tweets you can buy all of that from Tesla one day... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Reactions: NeverFollow
If budgets are limited, and price of P3D without EAP and AWD with EAP are the same. What will you pick?

It may not the case in US and Canada, but it will be the case in China.

If you see a situation where you could afford the EAP "later" and you like performance cars, then you could always get the Performance version without EAP and add it later.

Unlike most other manufacturers, where you must choose options like this on build and can not add them after the fact, for EAP all of the hardware will be in the car whether you order the option or not. It can be activated by purchasing it after the fact, and since that is the case (and I like performance cars), I would order the Model 3 Performance, and then budget to add EAP later since that is an option.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mikeat00
Do your best to drive both.

I got seduced by the fun of the performance in the test drive (always lusted after a P85+), but if I could do it again, I would have got the LR3 with EAP (for range) and a used P85 variant. Since the LR3 is disturbingly gone, I’d get the AWD for the better daily ride quality.

But if performance is paramount, then you know what to do.

Do your best to drive both.

I got seduced by the fun of the performance in the test drive (always lusted after a P85+), but if I could do it again, I would have got the LR3 with EAP (for range) and a used P85 variant. Since the LR3 is disturbingly gone, I’d get the AWD for the better daily ride quality.

But if performance is paramount, then you know what to do.

That's actually what I'm doing now. Keeping my LR3 and buying a pre-owned P85D.

Sell your kidney and get P with autopilot :p
This, just get both! Save up for another couple months if you have to! Don't forget AP3 is on it's way too.

As cool as AP is, I'm starting to feel it is overpriced. With phantom braking and constant nags (even when your hands are on the wheel). I'm starting to use it less and less.

You can always get smaller wheels and tires later, if you want to get the same range as an AWD.

Performance is just fun to have, even if you only use it for freeway onramps or to jump ahead at a stoplight to get over a lane. But EAP can be very useful too, especially if your in stop and go traffic often. Or on an uncrowded freeway it works ok too other than it nagging you every 15 seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3laine
This, just get both! Save up for another couple months if you have to! Don't forget AP3 is on it's way too.

As cool as AP is, I'm starting to feel it is overpriced. With phantom braking and constant nags (even when your hands are on the wheel). I'm starting to use it less and less.

You can always get smaller wheels and tires later, if you want to get the same range as an AWD.

Performance is just fun to have, even if you only use it for freeway onramps or to jump ahead at a stoplight to get over a lane. But EAP can be very useful too, especially if your in stop and go traffic often. Or on an uncrowded freeway it works ok too other than it nagging you every 15 seconds.

Agree.

AWD with EAP Better range...
For me, having a Tesla without Autopilot is like taking a Cruise & never getting off at the ports.

This made me laugh - I opted for no EAP and when I go on a cruise I often don't get off at the ports (no joke). I don't go on the cruise ship to see places, I go on the cruise to be on the ship. I know this is odd but when I go places I really like to spend some time getting to them and cruise ships are great places to hang out when everybody leaves them:). When I travelled in Europe I ended up staying for 2 years, but only saw a few countries as I stayed in London for 3 months, a tiny village in Scotland of a month, Paris for 2 months, I tiny island in Ireland for a month etc. It was always funny when I ran into fellow travellers and they had been to 20 countries in two weeks, and I had spent a full 2 weeks visiting the Louvre every day and they would say, yeah "I saw the Louvre, we went in for an hour, saw the Mona Lisa and left".

So anyhow each their own.

As for the OP. I opted for AWD, but wish I had gotten a Performance. I opted for no EAP and after my 30 day trail I was glad I did not order it as it was not very useful for where I do 95% of my driving.

If I had to chose one, I would go P and upgrade AP later.
Because with P you get: 20" wheels + performance tires, super accelleration, better brakes, track mode, carbon lip, lower suspension and that ugly badge :p But of course it depends on which kind of driver you are, if you like driving on narrow / winding roads the P will be more fun. If you just drive street driving in the city, you wont notice much difference.

That means he has to get a mid range then though...
I understand that Tesla/Elon want to maximize profits, but I do think they would have sold out all inventory if they had kept the LR3 in the mix. I hope it comes back.

Then again, I don't plan on buying again until I can get real world trip range in the 350 - 400+ miles per charge including some rain/wind. I would prefer to travel destination to destination without long charging stops.

That goes away if the charging tech and distribution double or more. But this is off topic.

If you plan to do any road tripping...
(Teslas are so much fun to drive you probably will)
Range is everything.
We are now an All Tesla Family.
I now drive a 2018 MS 100D.
My wife drives a 2018 M3 LR RWD
I went from a Model S 90D to a 100D.
The 100D has a range of 335 miles!
~301 @ 90%
What a difference!
Just drove the same 1100 mile trip I drove last year in the 90D.
Having ~40 miles of additional range was huge. Faster charging. No need to charge over 90%.
From what I’ve heard (Ride the lightning podcast - a P3D following a LR on an 800 mile trip)
The P3D gets you a 20% hit in range.
So 248 vs 310
At 90%
223.2 vs 279

I believe this was the episode. (178)
Ride the Lightning: Tesla Motors Unofficial Podcast by Ryan McCaffrey on Apple Podcasts

• Informative