Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up a model 3 tomorrow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, been lurking here for quite a while.

Going for our delivery appointment tomorrow, I’m pretty excited, but I will for sure do a proper once over. I’m a little concerned because we are getting an car out of the stock... has anyone had a bad experience with stock vs order?

Reactions: VT_EE
Raro - first off, congratulations on your pickup today; I am still patiently waiting for mine as well;
To your question ... Tesla is a little different from other manufacturers in that when you place an "order" its not a true "customer order to build" scenario; People are not matched to a VIN until after the car is actually built; Tesla produces cars of different configs in batches - and when a batch that corresponds your "custom order" is completed, you'll be matched to a car from what is the new inventory stock. Everything I have heard from Tesla SAs suggests to me that there is no difference between an "order" car and one that you would buy from stock. (except of course the wait ;-)

All things considered, Tesla is able to do this, because there really are "relatively" few [in comparison to other auto makers' models] combinations of physical options / configurations;
(its really just exterior colors [5] * interior colors [2] * wheel options [1 or 2] * trim levels [3] )

By my quick math:
SR+ -> 5*2*2 = 20 different configs
LR AWD -> 5*2*2 = 20 different configs
P AWD -> 5*2*1 = 10 different configs

That is a total of 51 different configurations (I am counting the SR which is a NON-internet offered configuration)

Best of luck - post pictures when you get back to today .....

John

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Hi, been lurking here for quite a while.

Going for our delivery appointment tomorrow, I’m pretty excited, but I will for sure do a proper once over. I’m a little concerned because we are getting an car out of the stock... has anyone had a bad experience with stock vs order?
Congratulations! Please share photos of the delivery process and your new ride!

Picked it up a few hours ago, touchless delivery work well, looked over the car as well as I could, overall very happy with the exterior and interior, there are some small miss alignments on two doors but nothing you would notice unless you looked very close and on par with previous premium cars I’ve owned. Once I left the delivery center I did notice that the steering wheel is just a hair right hand down going straight. No big deal I will book a service appointment in the coming weeks!

7E783CF6-DC7D-4C3C-8B15-B7A7AB634AFB.jpeg

Picked it up a few hours ago, touchless delivery work well, looked over the car as well as I could, overall very happy with the exterior and interior, there are some small miss alignments on two doors but nothing you would notice unless you looked very close and on par with previous premium cars I’ve owned. Once I left the delivery center I did notice that the steering wheel is just a hair right hand down going straight. No big deal I will book a service appointment in the coming weeks!

View attachment 568648
Looks amazing! Congrats! What was the battery level when you picked it up?

Update:

after owning the car for a few weeks I can positively say the car is the best car I ever owned.

The issue with the steering wheel being right hand down got taken care of on warranty (as I expected) and I took care of door miss alignment myself.

the only other gripe I have is with autopilot (I have non FSD) it annoys me that I have to disengage autopilot just to complete lane changes on the highway. I’m not asking that it do auto lane changes, just let us manually take control of the steering by engaging blinkers, once lane change is complete and blinker reset, autopilot can take over again. It currently turns into a “bing-bong” chime fest trying to do lane changes. My Volvo XC40 pilot assist let me do lane changes without disengaging as long as I used the blinkers.

The other thing I noticed is ghost braking. I’ve had it happen a few times, always during the day in good weather, seems to be happening while going under overpasses or larger overhead signs. One of them was super aggressive, almost like emergency braking kicked in. I had to stomp on the accelerator to make sure I didn’t get rammed by the car behind me. I’ve reported every instance, hope they fine tune this part.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Update:

after owning the car for a few weeks I can positively say the car is the best car I ever owned.

The issue with the steering wheel being right hand down got taken care of on warranty (as I expected) and I took care of door miss alignment myself.

the only other gripe I have is with autopilot (I have non FSD) it annoys me that I have to disengage autopilot just to complete lane changes on the highway. I’m not asking that it do auto lane changes, just let us manually take control of the steering by engaging blinkers, once lane change is complete and blinker reset, autopilot can take over again. It currently turns into a “bing-bong” chime fest trying to do lane changes. My Volvo XC40 pilot assist let me do lane changes without disengaging as long as I used the blinkers.

The other thing I noticed is ghost braking. I’ve had it happen a few times, always during the day in good weather, seems to be happening while going under overpasses or larger overhead signs. One of them was super aggressive, almost like emergency braking kicked in. I had to stomp on the accelerator to make sure I didn’t get rammed by the car behind me. I’ve reported every instance, hope they fine tune this part.

Yeah agree 100% with turning off autopilot to change lanes is stupid. They should include auto lane change on turn signal with basic autopilot or at the least, make it so it doesn’t disengage when changing lanes manually. FSD would still have the advantage of lane changes without using the turn signal so I don’t think it would eat into FSD sales. It’s actually more dangerous and inconvenient to constantly be disengaging. Hope that changes soon.

Reactions: swb2734
Yeah agree 100% with turning off autopilot to change lanes is stupid. They should include auto lane change on turn signal with basic autopilot or at the least, make it so it doesn’t disengage when changing lanes manually. FSD would still have the advantage of lane changes without using the turn signal so I don’t think it would eat into FSD sales. It’s actually more dangerous and inconvenient to constantly be disengaging. Hope that changes soon.

Even my wife was like “does it have to bing-bong” every time we change lanes?” Plus it reduces the radio volume which is doubly annoying... someone needs to tweet at Elon :)

Reactions: Forensic
Getting ready to head over to the dealership! 12pm appointment! :)

Well - delivery went very smoothly - only 2 small issues with the car
1) a very small paint nick on the hood at the front tip - only saw it after I opened the hood ...
2) a minor mis-alignment with one of my rear tail-lights ....
Both items will be corrected by my local Tesla service center when I go back in .....

IMG_0411.jpg

Well - delivery went very smoothly - only 2 small issues with the car
1) a very small paint nick on the hood at the front tip - only saw it after I opened the hood ...
2) a minor mis-alignment with one of my rear tail-lights ....
Both items will be corrected by my local Tesla service center when I go back in .....

View attachment 576667
That looks sharp. Congrats and glad to hear it was a smooth experience