Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up my M3 SLR Thursday. Or am I???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the rebate cutoff is C$55,000 before taxes? A new white/black SR Y is C$54,900. I don't see the issue here.

And Konas are small. I have never driven one but have looked at a couple in parking lots and I think there is way more room in a Model 3. Maybe not as tall of cargo area but definitely more volume internally for passengers. But none of this matters since the base white/black Model Y is under C$55,000.

1616015549290.png

So the rebate cutoff is C$55,000 before taxes? A new white/black SR Y is C$54,900. I don't see the issue here.

And Konas are small. I have never driven one but have looked at a couple in parking lots and I think there is way more room in a Model 3. Maybe not as tall of cargo area but definitely more volume internally for passengers. But none of this matters since the base white/black Model Y is under C$55,000.

View attachment 645373
Rebate cutoff is 45,000 but allows a trim upgrade to 55,000. Tesla priced the model 3 standard range at $44,999 and adds the “plus” as a trim level for another $6,000 and change. So even though the Y is close in price, it’s over the base model and doesn’t qualify.

Thanks everyone for your input! I took a Kona out for the day yesterday and followed up with yet another Tesla test drive. I was able to address my concerns with seat adjustments and changing the drive modes, thanks to the advice and comments made here.

The Kona has a lot going for it, I can’t knock it except for the fact that it’s basically the same price as the Tesla so it’s a no-brainer. The guy tried hard but it was so much about my CRV trade for them to make money. I’m biting the bullet and selling the CRV myself - fingers crossed that it works out.

No one can say I didn’t make an educated decision. Picking up my model 3 today!!

I’m curious how the Tesla would cost me less than the Kona?
I was referring to the operating costs. It might be worth figuring out the dollar cost in electricity to run your Model 3 per mile, vs. the dollar cost to run the Kona per mile. Usually, the Model 3 will be cheaper to operate on a per-mile basis, especially if you consider costs such as oil changes in the calculation.

This is especially true if you're able to use electricity from your home for the majority of the miles driven in your Model 3, as home electricity rates are usually quite a bit cheaper than paying Tesla Supercharger rates.

At this point, I think it's a bit of a moot point, as you've already made your decision; I just wanted to make sure you're aware of the lower operating costs on a continuing basis of a Model 3 vs. a gas powered vehicle, and especially of the fact that it will make it MUCH cheaper to drive if you charge at home as much as possible vs. charging at a supercharger.

Enjoy your new car! :)

I was referring to the operating costs. It might be worth figuring out the dollar cost in electricity to run your Model 3 per mile, vs. the dollar cost to run the Kona per mile. Usually, the Model 3 will be cheaper to operate on a per-mile basis, especially if you consider costs such as oil changes in the calculation.

This is especially true if you're able to use electricity from your home for the majority of the miles driven in your Model 3, as home electricity rates are usually quite a bit cheaper than paying Tesla Supercharger rates.

At this point, I think it's a bit of a moot point, as you've already made your decision; I just wanted to make sure you're aware of the lower operating costs on a continuing basis of a Model 3 vs. a gas powered vehicle, and especially of the fact that it will make it MUCH cheaper to drive if you charge at home as much as possible vs. charging at a supercharger.

Enjoy your new car! :)
The Kona she was looking at is an electric.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
@itscindy I'm actually excited at your purchase. Give yourself some time to develop a work-flow with the different driving ways and automation. A lot of people want to challenge it, look for the things it can't do, and they develop a sort of negative feedback loop. Embrace it, hey you own it, and it will assist you.

I'm wondering if FSD could be used to bring you over the rebates thresholds. My brain cells are a bit squashed with all the COVID stuff, so I'm not even trying to understand Canadian rebates. I've been using NOA for 2.5 years and in spite of the monthly cringe at payment time, I wouldn't ever buy a car without it, not to speak of what's coming with street-level NOA.

But either way, I think you'll soon be one of those people who look for reasons to go out for a drive. Happy Tesla discovery!

Tesla placed the Model 3 standard range base price right at the cusp of the rebate cutoff but because regulations allow for trim upgrade, the “plus” part is included. Very clever. The federal rebate is $5,000 and provincial (BC) is an additional $3,000. Maybe this explains it better:

“Up to $5,000 rebate for individuals purchasing vehicles with a base MSRP* under $45,000 before including delivery centre fees. Trims of the same Model qualify up to MSRP $55,000 before delivery centre fees.”

Delivery and inspection fee is $1280. Is this normal for the US?
Yes, that fee is normal even in USA. I was charged a $1,125.00 destination fee and $75 documentation fee for my Model 3 SR+ for pickup at my local delivery center (car was not inventory model shipped from a different store, as in those cases there would be extra shipping fees on top). So it's not part of whatever thing Tesla was doing to qualify for the rebate in Canada.