Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up our 2nd Tesla. Must keep it a secret from my wife until she sees the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife still thinks I'm looking for a job and we are struggling. This is why it will shock her completely.

I don't know if she'll be more blown away by the car or by realizing we are financially secure.

I can't wait until Thursday.

Yikes, talk about a lack of communication. No idea that you aren't broke and buying a new car as a secret. Whatever makes you guys happy.

I did the same thing with my Roth. No taxes, never.
Weird to take decades to break 100k, then make millions in a year.
Wish I'd put my whole foot in, instead of just a toe...

How did you keep the app from sending a notice? That part wasn't clear.
To play it safe, I changed the password right before leaving to pick up the car. However, there was no notification of a new vehicle being added. You have to sign-out and sign-in for the new vehicle to appear. The app won't log you off to force the issue.

I went all-in on March 19, 2020 and was furloughed the following month. Sitting at almost 14x my net worth 10 months later. Ain't going back to work.

To play it safe, I changed the password right before leaving to pick up the car. However, there was no notification of a new vehicle being added. You have to sign-out and sign-in for the new vehicle to appear. The app won't log you off to force the issue.

THAT IS REALLY HELPFUL.

Yeah, the most interesting (and painful) play I made was buying ten 1/15/21 $590's for under $3k.
If I'd kept them to expiration they'd have been worth about $2.5 million.
1000x since august 2019?
Usually stop losses seem smart, with Tesla they've been dumb.
Hindsight...

THAT IS REALLY HELPFUL.

Yeah, the most interesting (and painful) play I made was buying ten 1/15/21 $590's for under $3k.
If I'd kept them to expiration they'd have been worth about $2.5 million.
1000x since august 2019?
Usually stop losses seem smart, with Tesla they've been dumb.
Hindsight...
I've blown it a few times also. Not being all-in when TSLA ran into the $900s early last year kept me up at night. I vowed to myself if given another chance to buy low, I would make the plunge.

What's weird for me is without COVID, this newfound wealth wouldn't have happened.

Reactions: Tedkidd
I just watched this. Oh wow!

There are similarities to my situation. I was furloughed effective May 2020.

The difference is I went all-in on TSLA March 19 last year and my net worth is now ~13x times what it was. My wife still thinks I'm looking for a job and we are struggling. This is why it will shock her completely.

I don't know if she'll be more blown away by the car or by realizing we are financially secure.

I can't wait until Thursday.

Buying a car for your wife is great, but if I were in your situation I know my wife would be furious... not about the car, but rather that I let her worry and feel that we were struggling financially this whole time and then I turn around and buy her a car AND tell her that we are all good. To each is own but I like to keep my wife fully informed on all major things, ESPECIALLY finances. Trust is one of the foundations of our relationship and this would violate that.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Buying a car for your wife is great, but if I were in your situation I know my wife would be furious... not about the car, but rather that I let her worry and feel that we were struggling financially this whole time and then I turn around and buy her a car AND tell her that we are all good. To each is own but I like to keep my wife fully informed on all major things, ESPECIALLY finances. Trust is one of the foundations of our relationship and this would violate that.
My demeanor the last 10 months has been (almost suspiciously) calm and cool. I told my wife on many occasions all was good. If I wasn't worried, she shouldn't be. I haven't been faking pins and needles. It had almost gotten to the point of comedy.

The reason I was able to do this is she trusts me completely and absolutely. In fact, when I said she needed to come with me outside to look at something on the [old] car, I asked if she completely trusted me to make sure that our finances would be OK. She said yes. Then I opened the door and she saw the car.

It was priceless! You only get a shot like this once in a lifetime and mine caused an earthquake (in a good way).

Another thing: My wife (1) is terrible at finances, (2) is a "worry wart" and therefore (3) passionately hates to discuss financial matters. There was zero backlash because I have a 30 year track record of putting her needs and wants before mine.

That said, I understand marriage relationships vary quite a bit and many would not have the leeway to do what I did. It is what it is.

Lastly, I'm leaving out many other details for the sake of brevity.

Titanic-Rose-Car-Window.jpg