TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pics of beta visits

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ddenboer, Jan 1, 2012.

1. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

#1 ddenboer, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
    I am posting my pics of three different beta visit trips in the last two months (first to Menlo Park, second and third to Santana Row). I saw three different cars over the course of the visits, and noticed many differences along the way.

The pics are available here:
    Model S Beta Gallery

If you have pics of unique things you noticed, please post them here so we can all share!

Edit: Yes, I will admit that I lack patience to focus on my iPhone camera... :crying:

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Thanks for sharing the pics!

MobileMe Gallery
    Is the lower right half for the regenerative braking?

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

That would make sense... I would assume so.

4. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

One to share of me in the beta at Santana Row -- nothing notable here except the silly Tesla grin that is hard to wipe off one's face....
    Santana Row RBS.JPG

5. Adstein

Adstein Member

Thanks for the pics. Does anyone have any pictures of the tan interior? I was hoping for saddle brown which seems off of the table so tan is the back up chice for me.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

The black looks stunning in Robert's pic, and in Arnold's we can see so far the front seats still have built-in headrests while the rears are adjustable (guessing for many reasons including visibility and helping the seats fold forward).

7. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

8. Robert.Boston

Agreed re the black -- stunning look. Correct re headrests, and I confirmed with the sales rep that that was in fact final.

9. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Do you mean the front seats don't have adjustible headrests?

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

That's correct.

11. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Noooo! That means the X probably won't have them either. This is a terrible, terrible trend. Volvo's switch to un-adjustable headrests eliminated them from contention - made the seating position my wife's bad back untenable (that's how we ended up with the tank-of-an-E-wagon).

12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Mayhap it will change over time. Does anyone know if there was a specific reason for Tesla to do this? Are they safer? Cheaper?

13. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

IIHS safety ratings are simplest to design against using fixed headrests. For adjustable headrests, IIHS averages the results from the best and worst positions, or something like that, because few people place the headrest at the most safe position. So it's easier/cheaper for Tesla to nail that part of their 5-star safety rating goal.

14. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Makes sense. To be honest, I never adjust mine anyway. Hopefully the default position is comfy.

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

The high seat backs, same as the Roadster, mean you always have support behind your head when those G's hit you.....:biggrin:

16. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Last car I drove with a fixed headrest was a 1973 Ford Pinto! Just for historical reference.

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I had a 74 Pinto, but the last car I drove with a fixed headrest was a Tesla Roadster.

The primary purpose of the headrest is crash safety, and most people don't actually rest their heads on them. Solid works for everyone if it's tall enough.

18. Robert.Boston

FWIW, I found the front headrest in the Santana Row beta to be fine for me. I'm 6'2" (but relatively leggy; my 5'10" wife and I sit nearly at eye-level to each other). For the seats to be perfect for me, I would have wanted a little more padding, extendable thigh supports, and more lateral bolstering.

19. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

It doesn't really help us that obsessively check head rests to make sure they are positioned correctly. I really hope they are tall enough because I have yet to sit in a car with fixed headrests that don't come up higher than the top of my neck. Granted most of those are back seats, but they all seem perfectly positioned to break by neck right at the skull.

20. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Ok after looking at some other foums comlaining about headrests and what they did to 'fix' them. I agree fixed headrests are probably a good idea. I just hope they are tall. I would hate for Tesla to help out the shorter people who don't know how to use a headrest, and let me crack my neck in a crash, just because I am a bit taller. Sounds good from Robert.Boston as I am probably about the same size.

Some responses:
    Take them off.
    Turn them backwards.
    Move it down behind your neck.
    and more such crazyness.