Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics of beta visits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am posting my pics of three different beta visit trips in the last two months (first to Menlo Park, second and third to Santana Row). I saw three different cars over the course of the visits, and noticed many differences along the way.

The pics are available here:
Model S Beta Gallery

If you have pics of unique things you noticed, please post them here so we can all share!

Edit: Yes, I will admit that I lack patience to focus on my iPhone camera... :crying:

Last edited:
I am posting my pics of three different beta visit trips in the last two months (first to Menlo Park, second and third to Santana Row). I saw three different cars over the course of the visits, and noticed many differences along the way.

The pics are available here:
Model S Beta Gallery

If you have pics of unique things you noticed, please post them here so we can all share!

Edit: Yes, I will admit that I lack patience to focus on my iPhone camera... :crying:
Thanks for sharing the pics!

MobileMe Gallery
Is the lower right half for the regenerative braking?

One to share of me in the beta at Santana Row -- nothing notable here except the silly Tesla grin that is hard to wipe off one's face....
Santana Row RBS.JPG

The black looks stunning in Robert's pic, and in Arnold's we can see so far the front seats still have built-in headrests while the rears are adjustable (guessing for many reasons including visibility and helping the seats fold forward).

The black looks stunning in Robert's pic, and in Arnold's we can see so far the front seats still have built-in headrests while the rears are adjustable (guessing for many reasons including visibility and helping the seats fold forward).
Agreed re the black -- stunning look. Correct re headrests, and I confirmed with the sales rep that that was in fact final.

Noooo! That means the X probably won't have them either. This is a terrible, terrible trend. Volvo's switch to un-adjustable headrests eliminated them from contention - made the seating position my wife's bad back untenable (that's how we ended up with the tank-of-an-E-wagon).

Mayhap it will change over time. Does anyone know if there was a specific reason for Tesla to do this? Are they safer? Cheaper?

Mayhap it will change over time. Does anyone know if there was a specific reason for Tesla to do this? Are they safer? Cheaper?

IIHS safety ratings are simplest to design against using fixed headrests. For adjustable headrests, IIHS averages the results from the best and worst positions, or something like that, because few people place the headrest at the most safe position. So it's easier/cheaper for Tesla to nail that part of their 5-star safety rating goal.

Last car I drove with a fixed headrest was a 1973 Ford Pinto! Just for historical reference.

I had a 74 Pinto, but the last car I drove with a fixed headrest was a Tesla Roadster.

The primary purpose of the headrest is crash safety, and most people don't actually rest their heads on them. Solid works for everyone if it's tall enough.

FWIW, I found the front headrest in the Santana Row beta to be fine for me. I'm 6'2" (but relatively leggy; my 5'10" wife and I sit nearly at eye-level to each other). For the seats to be perfect for me, I would have wanted a little more padding, extendable thigh supports, and more lateral bolstering.

IIHS safety ratings are simplest to design against using fixed headrests. For adjustable headrests, IIHS averages the results from the best and worst positions, or something like that, because few people place the headrest at the most safe position. So it's easier/cheaper for Tesla to nail that part of their 5-star safety rating goal.

It doesn't really help us that obsessively check head rests to make sure they are positioned correctly. I really hope they are tall enough because I have yet to sit in a car with fixed headrests that don't come up higher than the top of my neck. Granted most of those are back seats, but they all seem perfectly positioned to break by neck right at the skull.

Ok after looking at some other foums comlaining about headrests and what they did to 'fix' them. I agree fixed headrests are probably a good idea. I just hope they are tall. I would hate for Tesla to help out the shorter people who don't know how to use a headrest, and let me crack my neck in a crash, just because I am a bit taller. Sounds good from Robert.Boston as I am probably about the same size.

Some responses:
Take them off.
Turn them backwards.
Move it down behind your neck.
and more such crazyness.