Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics of beta visits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why are you doing oil changes every few months? Use synthetic and change it every 12k miles.

$600/year is outrageous and more than I've ever spent on maintenance before (granted I've never owned a car that cost more than $50k) and EV's are supposed to be "simple" and "low maintenance". I agree with qwk that after first wave of nutters (that would be us) people are going to balk. Especially since they're comparing Model S to a 5-series where all the maint. is free for the first few years. They're going to have no choice but to follow the germans down this path.

My Ranger mentioned a while back that most Model S maintenance will be done remotely through 3G, so he expected the actual physical work required would be minimal, and therefore the cost would be lower.

While I'm sure that many will think that, I think that it will be a net savings. Given the value of my time (i.e. what I could make in a given hour) the hour or two that I spend doing oil changes every few months costs a lot more than what I pay the dealer for the oil change . One service per year? Yesplease.

Several oil changes a year? What kind of car are you driving? And how many miles a year?
My car needs an oil-change every 30 K kilometres. And a service about once every three years.
If you consider 600 Dollars per year to be a savings I can only shake my head about your current choice of vehicle. I don't pay 600 Dollars in three years. It's enough to pay hundreds of Dollars / Euros a year for tax and fuel.

Several oil changes a year? What kind of car are you driving? And how many miles a year?
Several a year (well, probably 3) is what's been true on every car I've ever owned and, until just now, ever heard of. What do you have that goes 30k without needing an oil change?

Edit: well, I've known or heard of people going long distances with no oil change, so it's certainly possible, but it's not good for the car.

don't tell me you change your oil every 3000 miles?

Several a year (well, probably 3) is what's been true on every car I've ever owned and, until just now, ever heard of. What do you have that goes 30k without needing an oil change?

Edit: well, I've known or heard of people going long distances with no oil change, so it's certainly possible, but it's not good for the car.

don't tell me you change your oil every 3000 miles?
I do what the manufacturer says is required. Typically that's about 5k miles, maybe 7500, depending on the type of driving. Mine is almost strictly stop-n-go city which the manufacturer deems "harsh" conditions. If I had a long commute with lots of freeway, it be longer. I think my wife's Acura is every 7,500 miles.

As US residing European, I can add that oil changing habits differ greatly between the two continents. Most Europeans change their oil once a year, if that. In US, most car shops want you to do it four times a year.

2010 Suburban, it counts engine revolutions and tells me when to change the oil, as a result, sedate driving can lead to oil changes every 6,000 miles. I have to change more often most of the time because of towing the Airstream and because I don't drive sedately.

The wife's LR3 wants an oil change every 7,500 miles and the Audi TT Roadster gets it every year (because it mostly stays in the garage).

Here is one of the first pictures of the Model S at the 82nd International Motor Show, Geneva:

image_01.jpg

from: http://www.autojunk.nl/fotos/tesla-model-s-van-ver-af-mooivan-dichtbij-serieuze-afwerkings-issues/71070/1