Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This article probably explains why all those Model 3s were in that random parking garage....along with S and X's.
Build fast, fix later: speed hurts quality at Tesla, some workers say

Known as “kickbacks” within Tesla, these vehicles have glitches as minor as dents and scratches to more complex troubles such as malfunctioning seats. Easy fixes are made swiftly on the factory floor, workers said.

Trickier cases head to one of Tesla’s outdoor parking lots to await repair. The backlog in one of those two lots, dubbed the “yard,” has exceeded 2,000 vehicles at times, workers told Reuters.
If you are trying to achieve a high quality, high speed production process, this is correct way to go about it. You don’t slow down the process to deal with defects, you learn from defects, tweak the process to address root causes, then crank the speed up further to surface the next level of defects. That’s the only way to increase quality and volume. I’m not surprised that some workers, with pride and a stake in every car, feel pain every time there is a defect.

You already configured yours, Jennifer? Jealous, but here in New England I'm waiting for AWD.

The Aeros do look pretty good on the silver - I am debating between blue and red myself, can't wait to see them in person.
Yes, I configured on Nov 23. I'm very pleased to be living in CA! Hope to have before xmas.

We decided on the 19s after seeing the larger wheel gap on the rear tires with the 18s. Figure we can always black out the wheels after anyway.

If you are trying to achieve a high quality, high speed production process, this is correct way to go about it. You don’t slow down the process to deal with defects, you learn from defects, tweak the process to address root causes, then crank the speed up further to surface the next level of defects. That’s the only way to increase quality and volume. I’m not surprised that some workers, with pride and a stake in every car, feel pain every time there is a defect.

Agreed.

There's an interesting anecdote in the Model S ramp up days... they had to stack a significant number of produced cars because of a late batch of USB cables. They were a $0.50 part on a boat delayed from China, but they couldn't deliver the cars without them. It illustrates the logistical nightmare of managing a supply change... especially one ramping up rapidly.

So it doesn't surprise me they'll have kickbacks with the Model3.

As an aside, the article mentions this happening at times for couple thousand cars... this most certainly is referring back to Model S/X days... although seeing Model 3 coming off the line and stacked by the thousands would be a nice "problem" to see...

More truck loads at Costa Mesa

23916024_10215191968335183_7605577302938695909_n.jpg

and here is the white one there (VIN #221) that someone else also spotted

23915571_10155881172078491_1760384854275910693_n.jpg

24068125_10155881172083491_5072740748202206561_n.jpg

On the Swedish Tesla forum an owner comment that article with a question if Tesla really do quality checks, too many cars comes back to service centers after delivery to fix everything that have been wrong under the manufacturing.

There is a cost to quality checks so it is a business decision. Tesla would rather pay the cost to fix defects after delivery.

However controversial this practice is compared to other manufacturers, this is obviously not impacting their business model.

• Disagree
Reactions: dennis
2 Model 3's spotted at the Buena Park supercharger in South CA. I was not unable to get pictures of the VIN's or close vehicle shots. While I was waiting for the truck to be unloaded he then proceeded back on the freeway North on the I-5. The truck had one grey and one blue Model 3 with sport wheels. It's a good sign to see more and more cars being loaded and delivered on trucks. I hope to see an invite soon to configure my Model 3. (Day 1 reservation in store)

Model 3.jpg

Model 3 2.jpg

Model 3.jpg

Model 3 2.jpg

There is a cost to quality checks so it is a business decision. Tesla would rather pay the cost to fix defects after delivery.

However controversial this practice is compared to other manufacturers, this is obviously not impacting their business model.
If you have 100 miles(wish is short in Teslas case) you maybe need to take a day of to get your car to the service center and fix it, is that good customer service? If you have your own company, what does it cost you to don't work for a full day only because that Tesla didn't give you a car that was finish for delivery?

I haven’t had a chance to actually sit in one to check head- and legroom (I’m 6’8”, so lack of space is a real issue for me in certain vehicles). The owner immediately offered to let me sit in it and get a feel for it...and I was quite happy with what I found:

I think it’s safe to say I’ll be using my reservation.

This is a huge help, thank you! I'm 6' 4" and I've been very nervous about the possibility of not fixing comfortably into the 3. Many cars fit legroom-wise but the roof panel makes for an uncomfortable neck-scrunch to see overhead traffic lights and such. I've been waiting a long time to hear a report from a tall driver. Thanks again!

Best practice would be to stop the line and address problems immediately. I think the story is either bogus or hyperbole.

It is not my experience with blue collar guys to create a focus group and spontaneously reach out to the investment community or short position bloggers for a spot of tea. where did these sources come from? Why are these fired workers hanging with employees? The backstory needs some detail, cause this just doesn't sound authentic.

Status
Not open for further replies.