Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, shipping undrivable cars to SC is probably one of the more stupid things that anyone could do, where there are less trained staff and resource to handle repair/retrofit. And you end up paying more for shipping parts separately from the car. I don't see what is gained. If they need space to park 1000s of cars, I'm sure there are simpler/cheaper solutions than shipping them cross country in an undrivable state.

Well, the solution of correcting poorly built cars at the SC is EXACTLY the approach Tesla took with the X. If the 3 is experiencing issues even a 10th of the problems the X had,.......well, let's just say things will be bad for Tesla and its investors.

With that said, just looking at most of the pictured cars, the build-quality seems good. And if there is an issue that is holding up the cars from being delivered to the customer, it may be as simple as a piece of trim or door seal that is a 5 minute install. For something like that, I can see them going ahead and delivering the cars to the SC and then shipping the parts when they are built.

Your comment is really more suited for the investors thread. Nonetheless, I don't think you'd be seeing VINs in the mid 2000's being delivered if there were a bottleneck like you speak of. Also, why would they even ship the cars to the SC? And, if you say they will make the repair at the SC, then why aren't all the other cars being shipped?
For context, the Raleigh sales center is just up the street from the Raleigh service center. I'm not really positive, but I suspect they may do deliveries at the service center, but at the very least, that's where they prep them and just drive them up the block to the sales center for final delivery.

I agree, there is probably nothing weird going on here, just waiting on the new owner to finalize their purchase and pick it up (although I'm also not entirely sure what is meant by "under wraps"--maybe I'll have to go investigate myself). Maybe the buyer is located quite some distance away and needs a bit more time to make arrangements for the pickup.

Well, the solution of correcting poorly built cars at the SC is EXACTLY the approach Tesla took with the X. If the 3 is experiencing issues even a 10th of the problems the X had,.......well, let's just say things will be bad for Tesla and its investors.

With that said, just looking at most of the pictured cars, the build-quality seems good. And if there is an issue that is holding up the cars from being delivered to the customer, it may be as simple as a piece of trim or door seal that is a 5 minute install. For something like that, I can see them going ahead and delivering the cars to the SC and then shipping the parts when they are built.
Any hold up is likely just scheduling pickup or financing.

Seen heading to Fremont on 880S today around 8AM -

IMG_6646.jpg
IMG_6644.jpg

We were in the Sunnyvale area over the weekend and saw one driving down a residential street. So tempted to follow! Anyway I remember seeing some news story of cars with notes on them, in southern calif I think, sitting in a lot. Believe the notes indicated repairs needed. What occurred to me was maybe these were cars that Telsa intentionally sends ahead of time for the SvC to get some practice repairing before customer cars end up in the shop. Training purposes? I know the press took a negative spin on these as expected about Tesla and QC, but I think most owners would rather the technicians have some experience on the Model 3 before working on theirs when they bring it in for service.

Probably; in our case we are 170 miles from the nearest Tesla location. If I got the call for pickup it would be 4-5 days perhaps to get delivery scheduled unless we get lucky and it is available on a Saturday or Sunday.
At that distance they might deliver the car to you. That was the policy when I bought my CPO S in 2016, although it might be different for the 3. I had them take it to the small town nearest me, since the semi truck drivers didn't want to tackle the mountain roads to my house. (When they turned the car over to me it was the first time I had even sat in a Tesla before.)

FWIW.

Back to the thread topic ;) - from insideevs. I think the blue looks best in bright sunshine. Problem is picking the right color combo with the wheels - want the aero wheels for range and everyday usability but blue/black is not so great. Alternatives: blue/18'' wheels with aero covers removed most of the time or white, where the black aero covers look pretty good.

IMG_0065-768x576.jpg
https://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/IMG_0065-768x576.jpg

Sorry to "disagree" ;) but please note that people buy weeklies based on Internet rumors, speculation, sources etc. etc.

everybody and their cat have sources these days.......
I couldn't care less about artificial internet "likes" and "dislikes" and it's totally justified for you to question my credibility not even knowing me or where I get my info. I personally am confident however in my information and that's all that matters to me. I'm just posting this here because it was interesting to me, and might also interest others without being majorly consequential.

In this case Elon mentioned on the Q3 call that they would be producing "thousands" of M3s per week by the end of December, which would imply at least over 2000/week. With this being the last week of full production of 2017 and only 1000/week being reached, I consider this to not only be reasonable, but maybe even a bit lower than what would Tesla have hoped at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.