Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went back to the Raleigh NC service center yesterday to show my wife the car, they were under wraps. I am surprised that two new cars show up and don't get delivered. What gives?

Perhaps all those cars sitting in lots are really missing something and cant be sent our until another bottleneck gets fixed? If so, great that the factory is running but it has me concerned.

Actually, the bottleneck may be with deliveries. They are stockpiling Model 3's in a way that indicates they may not have a well thought out plan on how to deliver them all.... lol.

I couldn't care less about artificial internet "likes" and "dislikes" and it's totally justified for you to question my credibility not even knowing me or where I get my info. I personally am confident however in my information and that's all that matters to me. I'm just posting this here because it was interesting to me, and might also interest others without being majorly consequential.

In this case Elon mentioned on the Q3 call that they would be producing "thousands" of M3s per week by the end of December, which would imply at least over 2000/week. With this being the last week of full production of 2017 and only 1000/week being reached, I consider this to not only be reasonable, but maybe even a bit lower than what would Tesla have hoped at the time.

Yes, no question it is lower than EM's guidance for exit-17, but that's not news. More importantly, it'd be higher than what the market has priced.

My shares and LEAPS sure hope you're right! Unfortunately, I learned at an early age not to tie my hopes (and investments) to internet sources.

Actually, the bottleneck may be with deliveries. They are stockpiling Model 3's in a way that indicates they may not have a well thought out plan on how to deliver them all.... lol.
Yeah, you're probably right. They probably didn't give any thought to how to deliver the 1000's of cars a week they were planning to produce.

It couldn't be batching for model-specific runs.

Or production ramped at a faster rate than anticipated after earlier challenges.

Or managing stock for EV tax credit purposes.

Or awaiting some additional supplier item.

Or ...

I have some insider info

This week Teslas production goal is 1000 model 3s. It's a pretty big milestone if achieved.
That's certainly my goal for them, produce more Model 3s (>1,000) in the last production week of the year so their early January production/delivery announcement can say they exited the year producing more Model 3s than Models S' or Xs. Would give a big jolt to TSLA.

Reactions: CarlS and avoigt
I saw 3 model 3's today. The blue one I was behind I got a decent look at. One thing I noticed is when I'm behind it in my Honda Civic, the back trunk looks higher than I thought. I wonder if this blocks some of the view when looking out the back.

model3blue.jpg

I saw 3 model 3's today. The blue one I was behind I got a decent look at. One thing I noticed is when I'm behind it in my Honda Civic, the back trunk looks higher than I thought. I wonder if this blocks some of the view when looking out the back.

I haven't driven one yet, but I've seen what I would charitably call 'less than great visibility' called out in several Model 3 impressions videos/articles, to the point that folks are turning on the rear-view camera to see if someone's behind them at night. Pretty sure that high trunk ceiling does block a significant portion of the rear view.

View attachment 267576
I was thinking the other day looking at a Mercedes, they're all like this now. Out of curiosity I did a quick comparison of a Mercedes C class, it's by no means to exact scale. The M3's rear window is indeed a little shallower, and more importantly has a more pronounced taper at the bottom, limiting the width of the view. I also noticed that the side mirrors on the M3 appear much lower but it could be the perspective tilting things, and the trunk opening on the C-class is horrendously small.

upload_2017-12-19_9-24-42.png

Status
Not open for further replies.