Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I finally get comfy with red, someone goes and posts a new picture of midnight grey.

tumblr_ls7e3j7mdn1qbclhzo1_250.gif

Someone will complain .... but the fit and finish look great to me. I don't know how the alignment could look better.

I agree. Seeing pics of the RC's in the wild, I noticed a lot of issues with the fit and finish. I even brought some up to attention (the arms of the trunk lid meeting the roof rail). But looking at these production cars, I can't find any faults with the fit and finish. It looks superb, even for my OCD.

--Cintoman

I agree, fit and finish are greatly improved and I'm sure will continue to improve as build more and more of them. I still think some of their stamping dies are just a bit off. Some contours between panels don't seem to quite flow like they should. Not sure what is steel and what is aluminum as they behave quite differently during the stamping process.

This is the area where I see most noticeable. As you can see the door panel seems to protrude out more than the rear quarter panel and the top contour of the door panel is more concave than the rear panel. Definitely looks like some tooling is off. I have noticed this on almost all cars on either side.

BfN7Aof.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: CarlitoDoc
I agree, fit and finish are greatly improved and I'm sure will continue to improve as build more and more of them. I still think some of their stamping dies are just a bit off. Some contours between panels don't seem to quite flow like they should. Not sure what is steel and what is aluminum as they behave quite differently during the stamping process.

This is the area where I see most noticeable. As you can see the door panel seems to protrude out more than the rear quarter panel and the top contour of the door panel is more concave than the rear panel. Definitely looks like some tooling is off. I have noticed this on almost all cars on either side.

View attachment 242219
I did not notice that. But now that you pointed it out, I can't unsee it.

View attachment 242219

OCD alert ;)

• Funny
Reactions: gene and tomas
OCD alert ;)
I won't deny that :D But as a mechanical engineer who's been around the automotive design world, these kinds of things jump out at me immediately.

Metal stamping in auto manufacturing is such a fundamental thing as this is what is visible in the final product. Paint can hide some things but not everything. There is no excuse to be sloppy other than they rushed through the tooling to get parts made quickly as possible. It just speaks to the overall build quality. Hope it improves over time.

As you can see the door panel seems to protrude out more than the rear quarter panel and the top contour of the door panel is more concave than the rear panel. Definitely looks like some tooling is off. I have noticed this on almost all cars on either side.
This may just be an artifact of viewing complex curves from an angle. If you look at the side shots, it looks OK. Hard to be sure without seeing it in person, though.

The place I still seem to see irregular alignment is the front edge of the hood where it meets the front bumper. Bumper looks a bit too low (or hood edge too high). Also, on the RCs, the upper arms of the trunk lid sometimes didn't match up well with the upper surface of the rear quarter panel and trim. This seems to be mostly OK now.

Status
Not open for further replies.