Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The check digit is a calculated value based on the rest of the digits. Such that if you change any other digit the check digit would tell you that it isn't a valid VIN number.

So if those are really RCs then there is no way to identify a RC car from a production car by just looking at the VIN number. (You would have to have a list of VINs, or VIN ranges, and what they were.)

I think that's correct. They made the RCs with higher VIN numbers to reserve 1-30 for the first customer cars.

A spare plus jack weighs about 30-40 lbs. takes up cargo room and affects fuel economy.... which is why most high end manufacturers have switched to run-flats or inflator kits.
Except that run-flats are heavier, louder, and have lower fuel economy, so 2 of the 3 reasons you gave are not advantages of run-flats over regular tires, plus the noise factor is a disadvantage for quiet cars like EV's. Run-flats are a convenience feature mostly, though they also come with some really inconvenient side effects.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Except that run-flats are heavier, louder, and have lower fuel economy, so 2 of the 3 reasons you gave are not advantages of run-flats over regular tires, plus the noise factor is a disadvantage for quiet cars like EV's. Run-flats are a convenience feature mostly, though they also come with some really inconvenient side effects.

Did someone forget to feed you or something?

I said the one big advantage of run flats is that you don't have to stop when you get a flat.

Run flats affect fuel economy by maybe 1%, similar to going from 18 to19 inch wheels. That is likely offset in the typical car by the 40 lbs shaved off not hauling a spare and jack around.

I haven't noticed any road noise with the newer gen pirelli tires although some of the older continental tires got that complaint.

Harsher ride is a real problem which is why I don't recommend running them on cars whose suspension is not set up for them.

No, I did not see any sig red Model 3 in person ever. I suspect that the ones claimed to be sig red in pictures were actually the standard red in weird lighting.

Yes, the RC cars seem to have regular sequence VINs but made out of order. This is different from the way Tesla did things on previous models.
No "Signature" or "Founders'" series for Model 3 either.

And yes, that "check digit" in the VIN is just auto-generated so that software can double check that any particular VIN appears to be valid.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
RCs are still driving around (see C pillar), also standard red;
This beauty was spotted in Greenville, South Carolina this morning (not my picture) • r/teslamotors
sxkhzmr31eez.jpg

Concerning body panels, I keep wondering why this trunk line was placed where it was. The pic on the left is unmolested, the right is a photoshop that my OCD wants to be true. Yes, I've been looking at this car way too much.

View attachment 240395
No kidding. You have it bad, man.

Take some deep breaths,

have a glass of wine made from grapes grown near Fremont,

take a 30 minute walk in your neighborhood.

Read the local newspaper but not in a serious way.

Talk to an old friend.

It is bad design to have two panel joins crossing ... too easy to get wrong at manufacture ... they jogged them on purpose.

I figured there was a good reason for it, just wasn't sure what that reason was. So it's the kind of thing where it's too easy for the eye to notice if it's a little off, so you intentionally design it a fair distance apart?

Vern- I've been substituting all that with beer, but it's just not working.

Concerning body panels, I keep wondering why this trunk line was placed where it was. The pic on the left is unmolested, the right is a photoshop that my OCD wants to be true. Yes, I've been looking at this car way too much.

View attachment 240395

If the trunk opening were smaller to help you with your 'condition', that would trigger the OCD of oh so many others. Hope you don't mind taking one for the team here.:)

View attachment 240395
This was discussed already way back on the mule days, when another OCD member (although he says it's not OCD, but rather as a design professional) made the same suggestion:
There seems to be some confusion about what I and others are referring to with regards to the seam lines and top of trunk opening. Here is my quick and dirty attempt to display what we are referring to. Yes, it is a lack of attention to design. The outer edge of the tail light would have to be realigned to work with the new break line for the "charging door." However, there may be manufacturing, engineering, and technical reasons for this resolution that I am unaware of. It is not OCD, it is a lifelong career as a design professional and getting paid a lot of money to resolve the details. Yes, it may be inconsequential and unnoticeable to most but it is sloppy design. No, it is not a deal breaker for me, just irritating.
18381988_218688548626716_1446343010160738304_n-jpg.226655
Reason why it's done this way (and not sloppy design):
I'm guessing people will want this
View attachment 226684
People may want that but they do not not realize there would be a hole where those 4 panels meet.
A hole you could stick your finger into.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Timo
This is the image I posted in another thread - looks like this one is sporting the 20-inch wheels. Man I want this size!!!

I agree. At first I thought the car was just lower -- like maybe it was testing Smart Air Suspension. But sure enough, compare that to, say, the production 3 below with 19-inch Sport wheels and it definitely looks like this red RC is rocking 20-inch wheels. Which is awesome! Can't imagine they'd be testing them if they didn't intend to release them at some point, particularly when they hadn't been seen before today since the original alpha prototypes. I want those 20s!!
model-3-presskit-hero.jpg

Vern- I've been substituting all that with beer, but it's just not working.

Try it again.

And again the next day.

Beer is good. I've made 97 cases myself. Gruits, stouts, porters, all drinkable.

Have a stout and toast Zum Woll to Elon. Or Prosit. Or Skoal. Or Slanche. Or Salud. Or Lach Heim.

Read Walden by Henry Thoreau.

Read something by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I finished Love in the Time of Cholera this afternoon. Simply smashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.