Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Electric folding also helps folding while driving into tight spaces. Manual folding is not usually possible from inside.

Possible, but not convenient. When I first got my S I had to fold the mirrors to get it into my garage (until I had the garage door enlarged). Folding the driver's side mirror is easy, but leaning across to the passenger side involves putting it in park and taking off the seatbelt.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I understand your argument but the one I was arguing against was saying that only 1-2% would actually buy the car at all. Yours is saying that half won't buy but that the others will, just not right away. Or did I read it wrong?
Yes, you read wrong. You didn't read the '3-6 months time window' I put there.
mmd said:
If you do all those calculations, 1-2% of Tesla+SpaceX employees BUYING an M3 within 3-6 month tops.

also worth noting that elon himself has purchased (full retail price) his own bug-ridden beta death trap.
Elon has many cars, probably 3-4 Teslas. Which one is he driving to work?

Possible, but not convenient. When I first got my S I had to fold the mirrors to get it into my garage (until I had the garage door enlarged). Folding the driver's side mirror is easy, but leaning across to the passenger side involves putting it in park and taking off the seatbelt.

Of course. I meant, manual folding is not usually possible (in cars, in general) from manual controls inside - no lever to pull for example. You have to open a window at least..

Employees don't have to sell to family. There's a letter that went public from Tesla to its employees regarding conditions for the sale to employees. They can order for immediate family members. Don't have to "sell" it to them. This increases the number of employees who will actually order as a much wealthier parent or sibling is eligible to purchase.

They are strictly prohibited from selling to the open market for a profit. If you read the other threads, there are issues where it just isn't likely. Anyone willing to pay that much of a premium is much more likely to just go buy a S. The financials alone (who gets the tax credit, double sales tax, etc), ignoring the hoops you have to jump through to do this, make very little sense to do so. So, not only is there a risk to their job, there isn't even much of a market even if there wasn't a risk to their jobs.

Thanks codex57. I made it clear that I was just speculating ... and you clarified the situation. Good post. Thank you.

My favorite thing about the folding mirrors on my car is I can see from across the parking lot that I forgot to lock it. It folds them when you lock the car. Not a Tesla with the walk away locking, still not sure if the Model 3 has walk away locking if you are just using the card key. Would be nice if it provided the same feature of locking the doors and folding the mirrors at the same time if we don't get walk away locking.

-Randy

Electric folding also helps folding while driving into tight spaces. Manual folding is not usually possible from inside.
This is why I need powered- but not auto-folding, assuming the auto-folding is tied to putting the car in Park. I need to fold before entering my garage, and not unfold until after exiting, or they'll catch on the door frame. My Leaf is tight but the 360˚ cameras help; I've nearly broken off my wife's Tribeca's passenger mirror several times (can manually fold the driver's door through the window). I assume the auto- part can be disabled, and the power- part can be manually activated. I'd love if I could geofence them, or tie it to garage door activation.

but what is the appeal to auto-folding mirrors (aside from obviously not having to manually fold them)?
Here on the Southern California freeways at commute time (which is about 20 hours per day), some drivers fold their mirrors due to the motorcyclists lane splitting. There has been damage caused to cars where motorcycle mirrors and automobile mirrors have come in contact, ripping them off.

I plan on experimenting with my auto fold mirrors when traveling on the highways in Central California with little traffic. I would like to see what folding them does for range.

We have friends in St. George, I can see minimal need for auto fold mirrors there.

Here on the Southern California freeways at commute time (which is about 20 hours per day), some drivers fold their mirrors due to the motorcyclists lane splitting. There has been damage caused to cars where motorcycle mirrors and automobile mirrors have come in contact, ripping them off.
My state is considering legalizing lane splitting. This makes it sound like an absolutely horrible idea.

Thanks codex57. I made it clear that I was just speculating ... and you clarified the situation. Good post. Thank you.

No problem. I'm not saying that there won't be any aftermarket sales for profit. There's always some exception. I'm just saying that due to the many issues involved, it's going to be a very small number and probably won't be a big enough issue to hit the news. It's not like the S/X, which had much less restrictions on selling your "spot". There is still a big enough financial gap that I can see a theoretical buyer going for it (basically, someone who only buys new and specifically wants a smaller car and needs/wants the range of the LR M3). I just don't think there will be many who fit that category that will bother to actually go through the hoops and actually pay a premium to buy.

My favorite thing about the folding mirrors on my car is I can see from across the parking lot that I forgot to lock it. It folds them when you lock the car. Not a Tesla with the walk away locking, still not sure if the Model 3 has walk away locking if you are just using the card key. Would be nice if it provided the same feature of locking the doors and folding the mirrors at the same time if we don't get walk away locking.

-Randy

If it doesn't fold until you lock the car, how does this help with parking in a garage?

If you consider just another 4 criteria (wanting long range, PUP, afford it, not in current automotive financial obligation, etc) at a 50% probability each, it does narrow it down to 2%.

Example:
100% pre-ordered
1/2 don't follow through with order for any reason (maybe decide to wait for Model Y). down to 50%
1/2 remainder don't want LR, can't afford it, any reason - down to 25%
1/2 remainder don't wan't PUP, down to 12.5%
1/2 remainder are waiting for AWD, 6.25%
1/2 haven't saved up enough of a down payment yet, ~3%
1/2 Just aren't ready to buy it yet, still in a lease/loan/etc, 1.5% left
Too many halves because this assumes all these conditions are unique IMO. I expect employees getting a deal. I'd be shocked if number below 5%

If it doesn't fold until you lock the car, how does this help with parking in a garage?
Folding mirrors were invented on european cars for street parking on narrow streets. You should be using mirrors to navigate in and out of garage. If you don't have enough clearance for mirrors, I'll wager you are going to scrape your car at some point. That is why cats have whiskers! They don't go in anywhere whiskers don't fit.

• Funny
Reactions: atlas310 and Runt8
Status
Not open for further replies.