Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pin to Drive vs Valet Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the new update last night...is it just me or is pin to drive super disappointing?

Firstly, it's not compatible with Valet Mode. Every time I get out of my car it goes into Valet Mode. Most non-recovered stolen Teslas did not have Valet Mode enabled. I can't even comprehend why Mobile App access is even disablable at all...you might as well label it "to steal car disable this..."

When you go to Valet Mode it makes you enter the pin for pin to drive (PTD). Then it goes into Valet Mode. I can leave, come back and drive away without having to type any pin.

So it's a conundrum. In valet Mode, you can steal the car any way, but you can't lock out my access, so I have good odds of recovering it.

In PTD, you can't drive away with it, but you can flat bed it and lock out my access, thus I'll likely never see it again....which to use? I can't decide ..they both are terrible options.

It's not like I live in a bad area, I just don't want to deal with losing a $100k car, so I'd rather be cautious.

Tesla, please for the love of God, get rid of mobile app access as an UI option. That would solve so many security problems with the car. Then at least I'd feel comfortable keeping passive entry on...

Just got the new update last night...is it just me or is pin to drive super disappointing?

Firstly, it's not compatible with Valet Mode. Every time I get out of my car it goes into Valet Mode. Most non-recovered stolen Teslas did not have Valet Mode enabled. I can't even comprehend why Mobile App access is even disablable at all...you might as well label it "to steal car disable this..."

When you go to Valet Mode it makes you enter the pin for pin to drive (PTD). Then it goes into Valet Mode. I can leave, come back and drive away without having to type any pin.

So it's a conundrum. In valet Mode, you can steal the car any way, but you can't lock out my access, so I have good odds of recovering it.

In PTD, you can't drive away with it, but you can flat bed it and lock out my access, thus I'll likely never see it again....which to use? I can't decide ..they both are terrible options.

It's not like I live in a bad area, I just don't want to deal with losing a $100k car, so I'd rather be cautious.

Tesla, please for the love of God, get rid of mobile app access as an UI option. That would solve so many security problems with the car. Then at least I'd feel comfortable keeping passive entry on...

Not sure I'm following you. Why would you be locked out if the car were in PTD and flat bedded? Haven't tried to use Valet Mode with PTD, but I guess the theory there is if you are trusting the valet, you have transferred the risk to using valet, so PTD is moot. I thought you might be saying that with PTD, you couldn't use Mobile App, but I just tried, and didnt have an issue.

Not sure I'm following you. Why would you be locked out if the car were in PTD and flat bedded? Haven't tried to use Valet Mode with PTD, but I guess the theory there is if you are trusting the valet, you have transferred the risk to using valet, so PTD is moot. I thought you might be saying that with PTD, you couldn't use Mobile App, but I just tried, and didnt have an issue.
The issue is that in PTD you can still disable mobile app access. Which is really why most people use valet Mode on a regular basis. In valet Mode, you cannot disable it. First thing thieves do is disable that.

The issue is that in PTD you can still disable mobile app access. Which is really why most people use valet Mode on a regular basis. In valet Mode, you cannot disable it. First thing thieves do is disable that.

I’m not sure if this changed recently, but now you need to sign into your Tesla account to disable mobile access. That should prevent thieves from disabling while not in Valet mode.