Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pirelli P7 A/S Plus 3 - Noise & efficiency coming from Uberturbines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't see much info out on these tires when I was shopping (as they are fairly new) so thought I would post some initial thoughts & observations. I just had them fitted on my M3P this week. My M3P is a 2022 model - brand new w/ 300 miles. I ran the stock Uberturbines & Pirelli's for the first 300 miles before moving to a 19" rim from Forgestar paired with the Pirelli P7 A/S Plus 3 tire.

Pirelli is saying they've altered the rubber compound in the new Plus 3 to provide less rolling resistance than in the Plus 2 & Plus; I have noticed a significant difference in efficiency coming from the brand-new 20" summer-performance Pirelli's that come stock on the M3P model - average has dropped from about 350w/h to 275w/h. Remember, both tires were brand new.

I went to a 235/40/19 tire - the stock 19" tire size for a Model 3 - and used a 19x9 Forgestar CF5V rim. The stock Uberturbine combined tire & wheel weight is 53lbs - the new combined weight is 46lbs so I'm getting a 7lb/wheel weight savings.

As far as noise & performance - these are definitely not performance tires. They're more "squishy" on turn in and don't feel as sticky through the corners - as expected. On the plus side, I live on a gravel road and this rubber compound does not throw nearly as many rocks at my car - so that's great! As for noise - they are quieter than the stock Pirelli's when commuting around town < 55mph. On the highway, I would say they are slightly louder.

Hopefully my efficiency improves over time as the tires break in - I don't expect I'll see as much efficiency gain for highway travel as the Forgestar wheels are not as aerodynamic as the turbines.

I had the original P7 Cinturato AS Plus on a Model S and loved those. Quieter, more comfortable, and better efficiency than stock Goodyears.

Our Model Y will need new tires soon and I was thinking of going with the Bridgestone QuietTrack. I used to be a Michelin guy for decades and the Pilot Sport AS 3 and 4 are popular on the forums but I prefer Grand Touring tires over performance-oriented versions. Hopefully we get more positive reviews and endorsement of the P7 AS Plus 3 by the time I have to decide.

I had these installed a couple weeks ago and have been berry happy. I had got a bulge on my factory MYP tires so I ordered The New Aero 18 inch rims and had the Quiettracks put in and the efficiency was worse (higher 280+) than factory rims and tires when I should of seen an improvement with the rims alone and how much more efficient they are. After several hundred miles the efficiency did improve to the 270’s but the tires didn’t ride well imo. I ordered the P7 AS Plus 3 and were put in 2 weeks ago and have loved them so far. Efficiency around 230 with 90+ degree days in Ohio since installed. Seen it dip below 200 a couple drives.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Thanks jmcfp for sharing your experience on the P7 AS + 3. I am not a spirit driver but after 3 sets of tires on my Model S including the OEM and 2 sets of Michelin Pilot Sport Plus, I need new tires again. I am giving up the Sport/performance tires to the touring version and leaning towards the P7 AS + 3 now based on my research. I hope this Pirelli work for me.

I installed these (P7 AS Plus 3) and replaced my OEM ProContacts (19"). Personally I was looking for a few things--better performance overall but not at the cost of efficiency.

Michelin tires are really nice but CrossClimate2s have some reports of harsh reductions in efficiency and with 19" wheels and AWD, my 2018 LR RWD brothers are destroying my mileage ratings, and I wasn't willing to take more of a reduction. Glad I found these because my efficiency is about the same. After a ~400 mile road trip and now at 1000 miles, I'm noticing my average consumption is 262 Wh/mi with the AS Plus 3s compared to 269 Wh/mi with my stock tires.

Overall I'm very happy with this choice.

• Informative
Reactions: FatherTo1 and tm1v2
Now that the weather is back to normal, I'm seeing very good efficiency from the P7 AS Plus 3 too. Despite better grip and handling, efficiency is tracking similar to OEM ProContact RX, if not slightly better. Very happy with the Pirellis.

I didn't see much info out on these tires when I was shopping (as they are fairly new) so thought I would post some initial thoughts & observations. I just had them fitted on my M3P this week. My M3P is a 2022 model - brand new w/ 300 miles. I ran the stock Uberturbines & Pirelli's for the first 300 miles before moving to a 19" rim from Forgestar paired with the Pirelli P7 A/S Plus 3 tire.

Pirelli is saying they've altered the rubber compound in the new Plus 3 to provide less rolling resistance than in the Plus 2 & Plus; I have noticed a significant difference in efficiency coming from the brand-new 20" summer-performance Pirelli's that come stock on the M3P model - average has dropped from about 350w/h to 275w/h. Remember, both tires were brand new.

I went to a 235/40/19 tire - the stock 19" tire size for a Model 3 - and used a 19x9 Forgestar CF5V rim. The stock Uberturbine combined tire & wheel weight is 53lbs - the new combined weight is 46lbs so I'm getting a 7lb/wheel weight savings.

As far as noise & performance - these are definitely not performance tires. They're more "squishy" on turn in and don't feel as sticky through the corners - as expected. On the plus side, I live on a gravel road and this rubber compound does not throw nearly as many rocks at my car - so that's great! As for noise - they are quieter than the stock Pirelli's when commuting around town < 55mph. On the highway, I would say they are slightly louder.

Hopefully my efficiency improves over time as the tires break in - I don't expect I'll see as much efficiency gain for highway travel as the Forgestar wheels are not as aerodynamic as the turbines.

how is the tires holding up as far as the wearing for the 70k mi rating and has efficiency after few more months of driving? any updates would be good :) look forward to have them installed on my 19inch 2018 LR RWD model 3 when time comes.

how is the tires holding up as far as the wearing for the 70k mi rating and has efficiency after few more months of driving? any updates would be good :) look forward to have them installed on my 19inch 2018 LR RWD model 3 when time comes.
Thanks for the info! Bummer that you think the new Pirellis are slightly louder on the highway. A quieter ride was a main reason I was thinking of buying them. Does that still seem to be the case after another 10 days of testing? I appreciate the report! Rick Reynolds, Portland, OR

Reactions: Skateboardgolf
Who installed your Pirelli P7 A/S Plus 3 tires? I can only find them with a load index of 94. When you look at the sticker inside the door (and do the math), 94 is more than enough to support the M3. Discount Tire refused to install anything less than 98 on the M3. "All" the websites (Walmart, Big O, Amazon, etc.) say the same thing.

Who installed your Pirelli P7 A/S Plus 3 tires? I can only find them with a load index of 94. When you look at the sticker inside the door (and do the math), 94 is more than enough to support the M3. Discount Tire refused to install anything less than 98 on the M3. "All" the websites (Walmart, Big O, Amazon, etc.) say the same thing.
My P7 AS Plus 3 with 104 load rating were purchased and installed from America's Tire, the west coast counterpart of Discount Tires.

How do they ride? Are they loud?
The first few thousand miles I felt the P7 AS3 rode better than the OEM 19" Continentals. Noise is about the same to me, not any better or worse. Efficiency has also been very similar to the OEM tire despite better grip/handling, and costing less than the OEM tire.

Now the bad part. Ever since winter started, I've noticed the P7 AS3 rubber hardens quite a bit, to the point that the Y suspension bothers me for the first time. The OEM tire at 38 PSI was quite comfortable year-round to me. The Pirellis started out riding great but is noticeably stiffer in 40-50 F weather. I think I'm going to try the UHP Continental DWS06+ next time for the softer compound and added grip. On hard acceleration the P7 AS3 still exhibits some side-to-side wiggle where you have to work a little to keep things straight -- it is still better at it than the OEM tire but makes me want more grip with the next set of tires at the expense of efficiency.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and MattM24
The first few thousand miles I felt the P7 AS3 rode better than the OEM 19" Continentals. Noise is about the same to me, not any better or worse. Efficiency has also been very similar to the OEM tire despite better grip/handling, and costing less than the OEM tire.

Now the bad part. Ever since winter started, I've noticed the P7 AS3 rubber hardens quite a bit, to the point that the Y suspension bothers me for the first time. The OEM tire at 38 PSI was quite comfortable year-round to me. The Pirellis started out riding great but is noticeably stiffer in 40-50 F weather. I think I'm going to try the UHP Continental DWS06+ next time for the softer compound and added grip. On hard acceleration the P7 AS3 still exhibits some side-to-side wiggle where you have to work a little to keep things straight -- it is still better at it than the OEM tire but makes me want more grip with the next set of tires at the expense of efficiency.
Thanks so much for the follow up! The stock Contis are driving me nuts.

I installed these (P7 AS Plus 3) and replaced my OEM ProContacts (19"). Personally I was looking for a few things--better performance overall but not at the cost of efficiency.

Michelin tires are really nice but CrossClimate2s have some reports of harsh reductions in efficiency and with 19" wheels and AWD, my 2018 LR RWD brothers are destroying my mileage ratings, and I wasn't willing to take more of a reduction. Glad I found these because my efficiency is about the same. After a ~400 mile road trip and now at 1000 miles, I'm noticing my average consumption is 262 Wh/mi with the AS Plus 3s compared to 269 Wh/mi with my stock tires.

Overall I'm very happy with this choice.
Some bad news with this update, but I think it's still relevant. I reported my initial results after a lot of long distance driving. Since 2022 Summer, I've been doing a lot less trips and it's been mostly local driving commuting and some weekend nearby errands. As a result the mileage has slipped significantly.

I have recalculated based on my latest trip meter stats and after nearly 4000 miles, it seems the Pirellis are worse now. Based on this, my Pirellis are running 6% worse than stock tires (285 vs 269)

tSFl1Me.png

I have a relatively short commute but it does appear my daily trips are over 300 Wh/mi. Maybe the local roads, acceleration, etc, I'm being a little too aggressive 🤣

Thanks jmcfp for sharing your experience on the P7 AS + 3. I am not a spirit driver but after 3 sets of tires on my Model S including the OEM and 2 sets of Michelin Pilot Sport Plus, I need new tires again. I am giving up the Sport/performance tires to the touring version and leaning towards the P7 AS + 3 now based on my research. I hope this Pirelli work for me.
Hi jandkw, I'm just wondering how it's turned out with the Pirelli's? I assume they're lasting a while, but did you notice any downsides like decreased range? I only get 8k miles out of rear tires if I'm lucky on my S85 rwd. thanks