Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires are all season tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello-

I just took my "new to me" 2016 Model X with Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires out in the few inches of snow we got today. It was the first time in the snow with my X. The tires were HORRIBLE. I couldn't believe how bad they were in just a couple of inches of snow. I had to turn around home and (gasp!) drive my kid's Prius, which did just fine in the snow with its all season tires.

I'm researching these Scorpion Zero tires and Tire Rack has them listed as all season but no way, right? I went to read the sidewall of the tire, but I couldn't even find the "M+S" stamp that I thought all season tires had to have?

Now I'm going to have to drop around a grand to replace these Scorpion Zero tires. I'm looking at the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires or the Yokohama Parada SPEC-X tires. Anyone have any thoughts on these tires? 265/35 R22 in front and 285/35 R22 in back. If anyone has any other recommendations, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
What is the tread depth? Even M+S tires are only really good in snow when new. The DWS tires have special indentations in their tread so as they wear the S disappears first, then the W, then the D so you know when they are still good in (S)now, (W)et, and (D)ry conditions.

Good tread depth. I didn't specifically measure it, but felt all 4 tires with my fingers. No unusual wear, either.

Interesting about the DWS tires and the way they wear. I didn't know that.

Hello-

I just took my "new to me" 2016 Model X with Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires out in the few inches of snow we got today. It was the first time in the snow with my X. The tires were HORRIBLE. I couldn't believe how bad they were in just a couple of inches of snow. I had to turn around home and (gasp!) drive my kid's Prius, which did just fine in the snow with its all season tires.

I'm researching these Scorpion Zero tires and Tire Rack has them listed as all season but no way, right? I went to read the sidewall of the tire, but I couldn't even find the "M+S" stamp that I thought all season tires had to have?

Now I'm going to have to drop around a grand to replace these Scorpion Zero tires. I'm looking at the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires or the Yokohama Parada SPEC-X tires. Anyone have any thoughts on these tires? 265/35 R22 in front and 285/35 R22 in back. If anyone has any other recommendations, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

The Pirelli Scorpion Zeros are all seasons, but there's a lot of different types of all seasons. It's kind of a catch all category. The DWS are much better than the Pirelli's in my opinion; especially as an all around tire that does great in the wet and snow. It's my tire of choice if I didn't swap wheels between winter and summer.

If you want even more winter capability; there's a new category of all season called "All Weather" that is geared towards snow. Nokian makes a WGR3 that fits this category; but unfortunately doesn't come in a 22. That tire would be closer to the Pirelli winter tires than it would be to a performance tire.

The Pirelli Scorpion Zeros are all seasons, but there's a lot of different types of all seasons. It's kind of a catch all category. The DWS are much better than the Pirelli's in my opinion; especially as an all around tire that does great in the wet and snow. It's my tire of choice if I didn't swap wheels between winter and summer.

If you want even more winter capability; there's a new category of all season called "All Weather" that is geared towards snow. Nokian makes a WGR3 that fits this category; but unfortunately doesn't come in a 22. That tire would be closer to the Pirelli winter tires than it would be to a performance tire.

Thanks Yinn. I just ordered a set of the DWS's yesterday. I hope they are better. I'll report back after we get another snowfall. The Pirelli Scroption Zeros were pretty much unusable in the few inches of snow we got last week out there.

Hello-

Thanks!
They are awful. For whatever ridiculous reason, Ford puts them on the luxury trucks. All those tires will do in the winter is get you into an accident. They suck in rain as well.
If they offer the size, go with Michelin Premier LTX.

On my X with 22" turbines, I just mounted Scorpion Zero All Season Plus tires (these are the generic ones, not the Tesla OE noise reduction version) and they do have the M + S markings. No clue about actual performance since I never drive in snow or mud, but so far they feel great on regular roads. $885 shipped from TireRack.com

fullsizeoutput_790f.jpeg

2C94CE15-EC18-47B1-9CC5-D3E08C18C692.jpeg
2C94CE15-EC18-47B1-9CC5-D3E08C18C692.jpeg
On my X with 22" turbines, I just mounted Scorpion Zero All Season Plus tires (these are the generic ones, not the Tesla OE noise reduction version) and they do have the M + S markings. No clue about actual performance since I never drive in snow or mud, but so far they feel great on regular roads. $885 shipped from TireRack.com

View attachment 377152
I have the same with 20” wheels. They are one year old with 20000 miles on them. I had no issues when I was up in Sierras last weekend.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
If you think those Scorpions handled beautifully in the snow, you should try the Extreme Contacts when your Pirellis wear out! Huge improvement in snow and ice traction
Hmmmm, I am really puzzled by the comments. I don't have those exact Pirelli tires you mentioned, but I do have other Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus on our MX 20" rims. I don't know what is the difference as I am certainly no tire expert. I just know that as a user, they have been fine in the snow here. I did have the Continental (EC) before these tires, and I haven't noticed any difference. In fact the Pirelli I got are just as quiet in normal weather and not nearly as expensive. Ok, it is just my one mouse experiment, but I'll buy another set when these wear out.

I recently looked at a wide variety of these tires and did some research. The tire companies don't make this easy with their naming schemes, but here is what I found as I researched.

Pirelli Scorpion Verde and Pirelli Scorpion Zero are 2 different lines and they come in 3 to 5 different versions each with different characteristics. The Continental [...]Contact series of tires also includes multiple lines and various versions and the DWS are specifically designed for snow so you can't just compare the DWS to "the Pirelli Scorpion somethings" as the specific model matters or you are comparing apples to oranges.

"I had Scorpion Zeros and they are trash in snow" - well that specific model is designed to be trash in snow, but there are other Scorpion Zero tires that are designed for use in snow, so be specific in what you are rating before you write off an entire model line.

Here are most, if not all, of the models in the Pirelli Scorpion line of tires.

Scorpion Verde
Scorpion Verde All Season (A/S)
Scorpion Verde A/S Plus

Scorpion Zero
Scorpion Zero A/S
Scorpion Zero A/S Plus
Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico
Scorpion Zero A/s Run Flat

Even though they are all described as "all season", I wouldn't trust the base versions without the A/S (and Plus) suffix on snow as...

The Zeros are more summer/dry oriented and are all season, but the base model doesn't appear to show an M+S rating and while the tire rack site says they can work in "very occasional light snow", the pirelli page for the tire doesn't even mention snow. I wouldn't buy the non A/S version of this tire for anywhere you might expect any snow. They also come in an A/S (All Season) version that has an M+S rating and has language that talks more about snow performance on both sites. Finally, they also come in an A/S Plus version which also has an M+S rating and talks about snow, and is basically an after-market version of the regular A/S tire that is typically sold to OEMs, but there are some sites that claim that Pirelli can tweak the Plus/Aftermarket version more because they aren't constrained by the OEM deal. That particular tire (A/S Plus) has enough consumer ratings on Tire Rack to show a light green (good) rating for snow, but that appears to only include 18 entries so it could be suspect. I'd look to the A/S (Plus) versions if you value dry/wet handling more and need to occasionally drive in snow, but don't live in a heavy snow belt. Some more anecdotal evidence of their snow performance would be nice.

The Verdes are more classic All Season tires. They do have a base version (no A/S suffix) that doesn't mention snow on the Pirelli site, but Tire Rack doesn't carry them. The A/S versions of this tire do include an M+S rating and also mention snow in much the same way as the Zero A/S tires (something like "and good in light snow"). The A/S Plus version shows a green (good) rating for snow on Tire Rack with 383 entries so it is probably a good indicator. Pirelli's ratings don't show this tire as having as good performance in dry and wet as the Scorpion Zero A/S, but it has good ratings there and better efficiency. The Verde A/S Plus version is rated 10/10 for efficiency/mileage while the Zero A/S Plus is rated 9/10.

I'd say that you should only look at the A/S versions of these tires if you care about snow and preferably the A/S Plus as that is the version that represents Pirelli's best take on an All Season tire not constrained by volume contracts. The Verde A/S Plus is more likely to have good snow traction than the Zero A/S Plus but there isn't enough data in the Tire Rack ratings to confirm this and the language about their snow capabilities is similar. The Zero A/S Plus has better wet and dry ratings than the Verde A/S Plus on both Tire Rack and the manufacturer web site.

As far as Continental DWS06 vs Scorpion Zero/Verde A/S Plus - all 3 have a light green (good) rating on snow, but numerically the DWS06 are a little higher than the Pirellis (7.8 vs 7.3/7.2) and the DWS06 have the most consumers rating it at 900. Based on the ratings I'd trust their snow capabilities more than the Pirellis, but they still lag behind dedicated snow tires.

I went with the Zero A/S Plus as I live in California and only get into the mountains once a year or every other year or so and wanted to stick with stock sizes and load ratings. If they ever up the load rating on the DWS06 front tires then I'd consider it as well.

I recently looked at a wide variety of these tires and did some research. The tire companies don't make this easy with their naming schemes, but here is what I found as I researched.

Pirelli Scorpion Verde and Pirelli Scorpion Zero are 2 different lines and they come in 3 to 5 different versions each with different characteristics. The Continental [...]Contact series of tires also includes multiple lines and various versions and the DWS are specifically designed for snow so you can't just compare the DWS to "the Pirelli Scorpion somethings" as the specific model matters or you are comparing apples to oranges.

"I had Scorpion Zeros and they are trash in snow" - well that specific model is designed to be trash in snow, but there are other Scorpion Zero tires that are designed for use in snow, so be specific in what you are rating before you write off an entire model line.

Here are most, if not all, of the models in the Pirelli Scorpion line of tires.

Scorpion Verde
Scorpion Verde All Season (A/S)
Scorpion Verde A/S Plus

Scorpion Zero
Scorpion Zero A/S
Scorpion Zero A/S Plus
Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico
Scorpion Zero A/s Run Flat

Even though they are all described as "all season", I wouldn't trust the base versions without the A/S (and Plus) suffix on snow as...

The Zeros are more summer/dry oriented and are all season, but the base model doesn't appear to show an M+S rating and while the tire rack site says they can work in "very occasional light snow", the pirelli page for the tire doesn't even mention snow. I wouldn't buy the non A/S version of this tire for anywhere you might expect any snow. They also come in an A/S (All Season) version that has an M+S rating and has language that talks more about snow performance on both sites. Finally, they also come in an A/S Plus version which also has an M+S rating and talks about snow, and is basically an after-market version of the regular A/S tire that is typically sold to OEMs, but there are some sites that claim that Pirelli can tweak the Plus/Aftermarket version more because they aren't constrained by the OEM deal. That particular tire (A/S Plus) has enough consumer ratings on Tire Rack to show a light green (good) rating for snow, but that appears to only include 18 entries so it could be suspect. I'd look to the A/S (Plus) versions if you value dry/wet handling more and need to occasionally drive in snow, but don't live in a heavy snow belt. Some more anecdotal evidence of their snow performance would be nice.

The Verdes are more classic All Season tires. They do have a base version (no A/S suffix) that doesn't mention snow on the Pirelli site, but Tire Rack doesn't carry them. The A/S versions of this tire do include an M+S rating and also mention snow in much the same way as the Zero A/S tires (something like "and good in light snow"). The A/S Plus version shows a green (good) rating for snow on Tire Rack with 383 entries so it is probably a good indicator. Pirelli's ratings don't show this tire as having as good performance in dry and wet as the Scorpion Zero A/S, but it has good ratings there and better efficiency. The Verde A/S Plus version is rated 10/10 for efficiency/mileage while the Zero A/S Plus is rated 9/10.

I'd say that you should only look at the A/S versions of these tires if you care about snow and preferably the A/S Plus as that is the version that represents Pirelli's best take on an All Season tire not constrained by volume contracts. The Verde A/S Plus is more likely to have good snow traction than the Zero A/S Plus but there isn't enough data in the Tire Rack ratings to confirm this and the language about their snow capabilities is similar. The Zero A/S Plus has better wet and dry ratings than the Verde A/S Plus on both Tire Rack and the manufacturer web site.

As far as Continental DWS06 vs Scorpion Zero/Verde A/S Plus - all 3 have a light green (good) rating on snow, but numerically the DWS06 are a little higher than the Pirellis (7.8 vs 7.3/7.2) and the DWS06 have the most consumers rating it at 900. Based on the ratings I'd trust their snow capabilities more than the Pirellis, but they still lag behind dedicated snow tires.

I went with the Zero A/S Plus as I live in California and only get into the mountains once a year or every other year or so and wanted to stick with stock sizes and load ratings. If they ever up the load rating on the DWS06 front tires then I'd consider it as well.

The DWS06 is significantly better in the snow than the OEM Pirelli's. The caveat is - as long as the S still shows. The treat has D W S stamped in them - Dry, Wet, Snow. Once the S disappears, they're crap in the snow as the top compound has worn.