Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Placing a Fastrak transponder in the Model X frunk: will it work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In CA hwy 680, working correctly?, so you hear 3 beeps while tag is located in driver side door pocket?

I hear beeps, but I usually have the car in 2 not 3 since it is my wife and I. We also live Pleasanton and drive up to Walnut Creek to shop. Seems to haved work OK on 580 to Tracy and the Central Valley to visit relatives. At least no tickets so far!

But it never works at SFO parking, but I think that is more an issue with SFO's parking system, than the transponder. I always end up getting a credit card out at SFO.

• Informative
Reactions: jiehan and dogldogl
As a previous poster mentioned, In SoCal transponders must be visible in specified designated places on the windshield. CHP hangs out on the 91 and also the 110 (sometimes standing outside of their vehicles) watching how many lights flash when you pass under a sensor and whether or not the transponder is visibly in the correct location.

I hear beeps, but I usually have the car in 2 not 3 since it is my wife and I. We also live Pleasanton and drive up to Walnut Creek to shop. Seems to haved work OK on 580 to Tracy and the Central Valley to visit relatives. At least no tickets so far!

But it never works at SFO parking, but I think that is more an issue with SFO's parking system, than the transponder. I always end up getting a credit card out at SFO.
I think detection thru front MX windshield is not consistent. Today I held the 3 position-switch type transponder up to windshield surface and next to the pillar, got the 3 beeps to happen. So how clean the windshield is and location of transponder on dash are factoring in for the beeps, but never am I being charged because I'm registered by license plate with Fastrak. For bridges with passengers (carpool lane), that's when it would matter to have proper detection.

Reactions: jiehan
I think detection thru front MX windshield is not consistent. Today I held the 3 position-switch type transponder up to windshield surface and next to the pillar, got the 3 beeps to happen. So how clean the windshield is and location of transponder on dash are factoring in for the beeps, but never am I being charged because I'm registered by license plate with Fastrak. For bridges with passengers (carpool lane), that's when it would matter to have proper detection.

Thanks for the info.

After reading the post that referenced the X manual's RFID info page, I just put the FastTrak transponder on the upper part of the windshield. It is by my head. I just used the little velco patches that came with the unit. I may drive out 580 east later in the week and will report if I hear the beeps.

Having it in the door did work the one time I drove through the San Mateo toll gates on the way to SFO. I am hoping it still works with the new location.

Not working for me. So far, the only way it's worked is to hold out outside the window and over the roof with my hand. 2022 MXP.

Mine seems to work placed at the center of the rear edge of the windshield glass (roughly above the driver's right shoulder). 2022 Palladium Model X Long Range.

One thing I noticed is that the newer Fastrak Flex transponders don't beep on detection, in comparison to the older ones. You can only tell if they were detected by checking on the Web site.

Bruce.

Reactions: MitchMitch
For those of you in N. California. You're required to use the FasTrak CAV toll and set it to 3. It's different from the regular Flex tag.
You need the transponder when using any of the express lanes to drive free or at a discount.
The stickers just help you not get pulled over by CHP when in the HOV lane but even then you have to have the little paper from the DMV that came with your HOV stickers in the car.

Also in my X, the transponder seems to work best in the center of the vehicle. When I have it to the left on drivers side sometimes it beeps. But when I moved it to the center, it beeps consistently. Ive been keeping it in the center console the one in front of the cup holders and it'll beep from there. But I can't say its more reliable then when I put it on the dash in the middle as I cross the bridge. And I cross the Bay Bridge and Carquinez Bridge daily.

Just my experience from owning several EVs in the Bay Area.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch