Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 19 vs 21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very new to this forum. Please pardon if this has already been answered.

I own 2018 M3 Rear View Drive. though I absolutely love my M3, my only regret is not getting M3 performance.

I am thinking of upgrading to MS, I don’t want to repeat the same mistake, I would go for plaid.
My office commute is hardly 7 miles one way and my wife has Model X, which is more of a family car for us. This plaid is only for me to enjoy my driving with no regrets. 😊

The only thing I care about is 0-60 acceleration, not aesthetics. Any help, which would accelerate faster 19 inch or 21 inch wheel? If both are almost the same, I would go for 19 and save 4500$

I have a brand new full set of the Tesla pads from an extra set of calipers if you're interested.

I haven't ran the updated ones, but would recommend just getting the pfc street pads from unplugged because those are amazing.
You mean these?
1712981774918.png

Upvote 0
I am very new to this forum. Please pardon if this has already been answered.

I own 2018 M3 Rear View Drive. though I absolutely love my M3, my only regret is not getting M3 performance.

I am thinking of upgrading to MS, I don’t want to repeat the same mistake, I would go for plaid.
My office commute is hardly 7 miles one way and my wife has Model X, which is more of a family car for us. This plaid is only for me to enjoy my driving with no regrets. 😊

The only thing I care about is 0-60 acceleration, not aesthetics. Any help, which would accelerate faster 19 inch or 21 inch wheel? If both are almost the same, I would go for 19 and save 4500$
For 0-60 acceleration the tires are almost irrelevant.

Having multiple sets in both of those sizes, I would recommend getting the 19" if you're not worried about looks. The 19" is a much better ride, and you get more range on the highway with them.

Upvote 0
For 0-60 acceleration the tires are almost irrelevant.

Having multiple sets in both of those sizes, I would recommend getting the 19" if you're not worried about looks. The 19" is a much better ride, and you get more range on the highway with them.
Totally agree.

I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) but the slightly smaller 19" tires gives you a nearly unnoticeable edge 0-60 compared to 21"s. The 21's give you a higher end speed as fewer rotations per distance traveled are needed.

I have the 19"s and have had no issues. I put about 30k miles on annually so getting new tires every <2 years... I didn't want to spring for the 21's. I also like the extra range. I also do not plan to ever get over 160mph so the 21"s wouldn't do anything for me but look good! I can trick out the 19"s and get some new rims or something if I really want.

Upvote 0
I mean I won't lie and say I've never taken this car or any other car to the 160s... but when I do it, I have literally miles of visibility with no cars around. I wouldn't do it if there's a decent risk of *needing* the full braking capability.

That said, I never tried the older brake pads, so I can't say how much of a difference there is.
I have the old pads in both a plaid s and a plaid x and have stopped both from the very highest speeds multiple times and there was no problem. I never even triggered the brake warning light on the S after multiple stops and I did trigger the warning light on the Model x but in both cases never had any actual brake fade — the brakes were always able to trigger the ABS.

But of course on the track there is whole different level of braking needed and no OEM pads will be up to it.

But for cold panic stops the old OEM pads are perfectly fine as confirmed by me, others on this thread, the Tesla plaid channel , and Car and Driver and other third party expert testing.

Track pads trade high thermal efficacy for cold efficacy and depending on the pad, are likely WORSE for ice cold highway panic stops as they require getting up to temp before they start to work.

Reactions: WilliamG
Upvote 0
I have the old pads in both a plaid s and a plaid x and have stopped both from the very highest speeds multiple times and there was no problem. I never even triggered the brake warning light on the S after multiple stops and I did trigger the warning light on the Model x but in both cases never had any actual brake fade — the brakes were always able to trigger the ABS.

But of course on the track there is whole different level of braking needed and no OEM pads will be up to it.

But for cold panic stops the old OEM pads are perfectly fine as confirmed by me, others on this thread, the Tesla plaid channel , and Car and Driver and other third party expert testing.

Track pads trade high thermal efficacy for cold efficacy and depending on the pad, are likely WORSE for ice cold highway panic stops as they require getting up to temp before they start to work.
This. The amount of misinformation about the original stock pads is really staggering.

Reactions: bhzmark
Upvote 0

I agree, I think the stock pads are best for street use. I drive around and hardly use the brakes at all, rely on regenerative braking. Then at a light or from a roll, you wind up next to a Z06 or other performance car. If you go for it, 70 mph+ as we all know happens in no time at all. You then have to stop the car with literally ice cold brakes, stock brakes at 100+ will go into the ABS. other brakes won't stop the car faster, wider tires will.

For repeated high speed stops like more than 3 or for track us, then you need a brake compound that work at higher temps, bigger rotors for more surface area, and bigger calipers add clamping force. Stock brakes are fine for me and most people.

Reactions: bhzmark
Upvote 0