Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disagree as there have been ZERO sidewall/tread failures with the OEM Pirelli tires, AFAIK.

The Michelins come apart because of poor design or construction, and they should be recalled before someone gets hurt….

Michelin WILL replace our OEM tires if you file a formal request, and please file a complaint with NHTSA.gov as well.
Is there a process to do this? I had a rear tire come apart on the inner tread in April. It happened on a Friday afternoon and was a major pain to source a new one. Ultimately the Service Center had it towed in and replaced it the next week, but given that the rest of the tread was completely fine, it seems that it was a tire problem exacerbated by Tesla's alignment specs. I assume it will happen again unless I spend some $$ on new suspension parts alignment. Given the safety risk here, it seems like this should be a recall for Tesla for the tires and the suspension.

I just bought a MSP with the 21” option.

I will drive in low all the time.

I did read the Tesla manual for wheel alignment (didnt read it in exact detail).
As I understand it tesla use a setting that is partly good in ”normal” and partly good in “low”.

I think it would be wise to make a wheel alignment on the ride height you would use, and make it perfect for this setting.

Anyone done this already?
I used the Macsboost Camber Kit to reduce the extreme negative camber. I then had the car aligned in the position I use the most (low). So far things are looking good with my 21’s.

Reactions: xEvoLveDx and AAKEE
I used the Macsboost Camber Kit to reduce the extreme negative camber. I then had the car aligned in the position I use the most (low). So far things are looking good with my 21’s.
Are they adjustable or fixed? Looked fixed when I briefly checked.

Good idea anyway, killing the 21” do not sound good.

From menory it didnt look lika the negative camber is an issue (much less than my lovered M3P)

The excessive camber and toe are killing the rear tires in as little as 5k miles and often by 10k. Macsboost makes adjustable arms similar to N2itive if you want to spend more money or their camber kit is fixed. I was fine with the fixed option. I didn’t think it was worth spending $1,000+ on the N2itive adjustable camber arms, or even $500 on the Macsboost adjustable ones if the Macsboost camber kit for about $200 would get to where I needed to be.

So far I couldn’t be happier. My rears were excessively worn to the point of being unsafe in 6k miles. My new rears have about 2k miles and look brand new. I had a complete alignment (front and rear) done as I mentioned in low after the install. The car feels a lot better to drive overall too. My overall cost was less than the price of one rear tire so it was a great outcome for me.

After reading a bit, I’m leanibg towards the N2itive kit.
Didnt notice no vibrations on the way home but lowering the car seems good for the drive shafts. Wouldnt be that bad for the looks either.
With a completey adjustable set I guess its possible to set everything straight to save the tyres.
I will drive a descent amount each year so killing tyres from bad alignment do not sound good.

I think Macsboost took the approach with their fixed solution that it should get it right for the vast majority, but not all, cars. If you have an extreme outlier, you will need someone‘s adjustable arms to get there. I liked the fixed solution as less moving parts even if I lost some flexibility or adjustability and it is a lot stealthier when going to Tesla service. They won’t touch anything modified here. YMMV.

I don’t mind spending money (dropped 15k on the track pack) but I don’t want to overpay for engineering or complexity that I don’t really need. I follow the KISS principle with respect to engineering.

Reactions: calleserra
Does anyone have this on the front tires? My rears were worn at 15K miles, but fronts were fine when checking at same time. Now at 20k miles I noticed the front inners are worn too.

I don't think I would expect as much wear on the fronts. My camber on the fronts is not so extreme. This is recently aligned with no modifications yet. My rear tires are leaking air slowly, but don't show any visible wear after 14k miles.

1688753736567.png

If you don’t use something to adjust the camber, lowering links will just make the camber problem even worse. For many people who use the links do it for looks but there are some who think it may reduce wear by improving the angle for the front halfshafts.

For me I can’t risk lowering my car at all. I have such big speed bump, huge dips in the road and basically culverts I need to cross that I can’t afford to lower the car as it is. I already have to drive very slowly in a lot of intersections due to the big dips in the road where I can easily scrape the nose of the car. I don’t want to reduce ground clearance at all.

Reactions: AAKEE
If you don’t use something to adjust the camber, lowering links will just make the camber problem even worse. For many people who use the links do it for looks but there are some who think it may reduce wear by improving the angle for the front halfshafts.
Yes, a complete alignment would of course be done, setting all the values as good as possible according to n2itive alignment information.
For me I can’t risk lowering my car at all. I have such big speed bump, huge dips in the road and basically culverts I need to cross that I can’t afford to lower the car as it is. I already have to drive very slowly in a lot of intersections due to the big dips in the road where I can easily scrape the nose of the car. I don’t want to reduce ground clearance at all.
I had my M3P lowered 4cm all around.
It looked good but I had to be carefull.

I think I could handle a slight lowering and be safe, but the point is taken. All inputs appreciated :)

Yes, a complete alignment would of course be done, setting all the values as good as possible according to n2itive alignment information.

I had my M3P lowered 4cm all around.
It looked good but I had to be carefull.

I think I could handle a slight lowering and be safe, but the point is taken. All inputs appreciated :)
The nice part about the model S is air suspension. I can run in low (lowered) 99% if the time but raise to high and make it through what ever I May find in my area (driveways, etc.). Fortunately the streets aren’t bad in my area.

The nice part about the model S is air suspension. I can run in low (lowered) 99% if the time but raise to high and make it through what ever I May find in my area (driveways, etc.). Fortunately the streets aren’t bad in my area.
Yeah, but our approach angle is terrible. I lowered mine a little bit and I still scraped the nose on driveways, even on the highest suspension setting. I think I'll have to lower it again to eliminate the half shaft vibrations, but I'll have to avoid any steep driveways completely.