Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaids with 20" tires AND rear inner tire wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just swapped the arachnids for a 20" +35 square setup with 285/35/20 tires.
Is that a Plaid? When I enquired about going to a square setup with 19" tires, I was told by Discount Tire that there wasn't a square setup available that met the load requirements on the rear wheels (requires 107). I guess with the acceleration of the Plaid, it can place a great load on the rear tires. The tires you indicated only has up to a 104 load rating in the Michelin PS4 A/S.

Is that a Plaid? When I enquired about going to a square setup with 19" tires, I was told by Discount Tire that there wasn't a square setup available that met the load requirements on the rear wheels (requires 107). I guess with the acceleration of the Plaid, it can place a great load on the rear tires. The tires you indicated only has up to a 104 load rating in the Michelin PS4 A/S.
I have a square setup 20x10 +35 275/35 on my plaid with PS4 102YXL, which I believe is the correct load for the Plaid.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpeg
    IMG_0005.jpeg
    908.7 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: MSP2023
Your alignment is good enough to not have the inner wear problem.

But the only way to say your alignment has no issues or is a unicorn, you would need to do what owners of staggered wheels do, that's not rotate them.

If you have a single picture that shows all 3 treadwear indicators we can get an idea of how well your alignment is.
NOT rotating tires reduces their wear life significantly. This is due to treadblock "feathering" - uneven wear on the tread blocks themselves.
Please don't suggest this to people without acknowledging this fact - then they can decide if they still want to do it or not.

Also rotating tires is still a valid study for premature inside edge wear. If it really is a suspension/alignment issue, the differential-wear (faster-inside-than-outside) will still occur, it'll just take longer. Otherwise, If you can do a wheel rotation and mount the inside edge of the tire on the outside, you have bigger problems...

But I just posted on this elsewhere, as long as alignment is to factory-spec, minor tire pressure deviations can have a massive detriment on tire wear. Many people ignore this.

The better way to run this "test" is religiously obey the plackard-pressure on the standard tire setup (assuming alignment is in-spec). Then see where the wear gets you. Spoiler - I bet it'll be even wear, and pretty damn close to the warranty-limit...

NOT rotating tires reduces their wear life significantly. This is due to treadblock "feathering" - uneven wear on the tread blocks themselves.
Please don't suggest this to people without acknowledging this fact - then they can decide if they still want to do it or not.

Also rotating tires is still a valid study for premature inside edge wear. If it really is a suspension/alignment issue, the differential-wear (faster-inside-than-outside) will still occur, it'll just take longer. Otherwise, If you can do a wheel rotation and mount the inside edge of the tire on the outside, you have bigger problems...

But I just posted on this elsewhere, as long as alignment is to factory-spec, minor tire pressure deviations can have a massive detriment on tire wear. Many people ignore this.

The better way to run this "test" is religiously obey the plackard-pressure on the standard tire setup (assuming alignment is in-spec). Then see where the wear gets you. Spoiler - I bet it'll be even wear, and pretty damn close to the warranty-limit...

Some people have staggered tires so they can't rotate.

Inner edge wear has been a problem since the 1st Model S rolled off the assembly line over 10yrs ago.

It has already been proven that Tesla's specs are causing the inner edge wear problem and a more neutral camber setting fixes it.

Nice. Narrower in the rear! Traction ok on non prepped surface ?
It shouldn't make much of a difference honestly. I looked up the specs on tirerack and the 295 T2 has 10.8" tread width with the open market ps4s 275 at 9.5". That's not necessarily a loss of 1.3" of tread since the tires are aspect ratioed down; that 1.3" includes a reduction in both the channels and sipes of the tire. So say an even 1" of tread loss at most. 1" of tread on a street tire when you can't do a burnout to heat them up will be insignificant in pretty much any scenario...especially since he's also gaining a bit of sidewall for compression on launch. front tires are only 0.1" wider, so it's irrelevant to make a comparison with them.

Do you have any 1/4 mile numbers?
5.98@121 is moving pretty fast on the 1/8
Wanted to see if your trap is not affected due to the shorter overall diameter.
The only timslips in the 1/4 was bracket racing so I didnt use lauch mode. On the foot brake it went 9.40's @151. 6.1@120 in the 1/8.
Im sure it would be a 9.20 something at 152 or so with launch mode.

Reactions: WeaponX and ramirj2
I’m really getting attracted to the pilot sport cup 2 (240) connect tires that come in 275-35 front / 305–30 rear setup on 20” wheels. Also they seem like they have enough sipes for wet traction.

I currently run the Pirelli 265/295 PZ4 setup and have loved the first few laps after which they overheat and become jelly.

Anyone here run the 240 cups for regular summer tires?