Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 6 seat vs. LR 7 seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I just placed an order for the LR 7 seat and just wanted to get some thoughts on whether we chose the right one. We dont have kids but have 2 dogs and in our current SUV they really use the bench seat in the back. Additionally we find that we do use the fold flat feature somewhat often to fit in large items in the back. Because of these two reasons we decided on the 7 seat Long Range....but like many of you really wanted the Plaid.

Now I am wondering if we can make do with the 6 seat configuration. For our dogs we aren't going to put them in the 3rd row. We would need to make the second row work somehow. Is there an aftermarket cushion/connector (like some minivans have) that can make the two seats into a bench seat in the second row?

As for storage I'm not sure how to get over that one. Are the second row seats somewhat removable easily? Or do they fold enough to make them usable if you have a large item?

I know this topic has been discussed a lot but I'm trying to apply it to our particular scenario. I also considered the 5 seat option but do want the option at times when we have family over to be able to take them all in one car for short trips. It also seems like better resale with either a 6 seat or 7 seat option.

I believe the middle seats do not fold forward much in the 6 seater.

There are a lot of Youtube videos showing the space in a 6 seater, as well as a number of threads here discussion the pros and cons of the 6 seat configuration. Here is one.

Last edited:
If you will use the X for hauling large items, the 6 seater would not be a good option, as those middle row seats do not fold down. This is the main reason why I switched my Plaid reservation to 7-seat LR.
We are replacing a Lexus SUV which has about the same amount of cargo room as the MX. In that SUV we don't put the seat down all the time but we certainly do at times. Plus having dogs the captains chairs dont work well. I get it if you have kids the 6 seater may be more desirable. We have dogs and carry things once in a while.

Reactions: Prairie