Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid acceleration shudder and half shafts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its still there yes 🥹. After 7000km, it is getting more and more noticeable. On my previous P90D X, I had fixed the problem by getting lowering links and camber arms, then having Tesla switch to the new half shafts and clevis mount. Drove the car real hard for 10000km and not once did i get any shudder. This time, Ill wait and see how bad it gets, if it stays at this level(not too annoying) Ill let it go. If not N2itive got some parts for the refresh too and will be lowering the car again and have Tesla replace the halfshafts and see how it goes from there.

Its still there yes 🥹. After 7000km, it is getting more and more noticeable. On my previous P90D X, I had fixed the problem by getting lowering links and camber arms, then having Tesla switch to the new half shafts and clevis mount. Drove the car real hard for 10000km and not once did i get any shudder. This time, Ill wait and see how bad it gets, if it stays at this level(not too annoying) Ill let it go. If not N2itive got some parts for the refresh too and will be lowering the car again and have Tesla replace the halfshafts and see how it goes from there.

What's still there? You have an MXP and you're experiencing THE shudder that has plagued the X (prior to the refresh) and the S both before and after the refresh?

If so, you'd be the first. A few have stated in other threads that they have it but it turned out it wasn't the same thing or they never responded when asked exactly what vehicle they have.

I wouldn't expect miracles from the same chassis. They're focused more on making the car dance rather than fixing a decade old issue.

No exactly. The new clevis mount lowers the front drive unit reducing the cv joint angle. Power is reduced dramatically in anything higher than the "low" setting and maximum power is not available from a complete stop unless you launch in cheetah stance which lowers the front much further then even "very low". And lastly, if you look at the g graphs of launches between Ludicrous and Plaid, the fresh Plaid doesn't launch as hard from 0 to 30 mph as Ludicrous does but still manages way faster 0-60 because the 30-60 times are MUCH faster but already out of the range of cv bendage danger.

• Informative
Reactions: jiehan
What's still there? You have an MXP and you're experiencing THE shudder that has plagued the X (prior to the refresh) and the S both before and after the refresh?

If so, you'd be the first. A few have stated in other threads that they have it but it turned out it wasn't the same thing or they never responded when asked exactly what vehicle they have.
Yes in my case it is 100% the same shudder as in previous gen X. 2022 MXP. Vibration is more pronounced on higher suspension settings. This is not the vibration felt at begining of drives, wich I also have. When I first got the car, there was no shudder. Its been progressing with mileage. Putting suspension on very low diminishes the shudder.

• Informative
Reactions: jiehan and sorka
Yes in my case it is 100% the same shudder as in previous gen X. 2022 MXP. Vibration is more pronounced on higher suspension settings. This is not the vibration felt at begining of drives, wich I also have. When I first got the car, there was no shudder. Its been progressing with mileage. Putting suspension on very low diminishes the shudder.

Congrats. You're the first confirmed case of an MXP with the shudder. Yours is not typical. I went through 4 sets of cv shafts on my P85D before I finally lowered it to reduce the angle which solved it once and for all. Haven't had even a hint it in my MXP. That said I'm always on "very low" when I launch hard from a stop.

I just took delivery of a 2021 S Plaid with 4500 miles and I have a shudder. It’s not just on acceleration. It doesn’t seem to be related to anything. Just randomly intermittent and frequent. It will be going in for service shortly.

Sad times. I may have it but unconfirmed. I have a 22' plaid X with about 10k miles. I drive pretty slow about 80% of the time. The other day making a very slight right and accelerating with somewhere between 25% and 50% throttle, I hear a clicking sound, but dull sound, not metal on metal. Sometimes I get it on a straight away, sometimes on slight right turn. Never noticed it on a left turn. Yesterday I tried it again, but couldn't reproduce it. Anyhow, I have an appointment in Jan to have it checked. Hope it's not the shudder/axles.

I had a P90D before this car and it had the shudder w/ clicking axles. SC replaced the axles and clevis and whatever other hardware that's part of that repair. It fixed the issue for a while, but still came back within 10-15k miles (just a guestimate). On the plaid, I am also aware of the vibration on the first drive ~40mph but don't think that's related to the axles.

Sad times. I may have it but unconfirmed. I have a 22' plaid X with about 10k miles. I drive pretty slow about 80% of the time. The other day making a very slight right and accelerating with somewhere between 25% and 50% throttle, I hear a clicking sound, but dull sound, not metal on metal. Sometimes I get it on a straight away, sometimes on slight right turn. Never noticed it on a left turn. Yesterday I tried it again, but couldn't reproduce it. Anyhow, I have an appointment in Jan to have it checked. Hope it's not the shudder/axles.

I had a P90D before this car and it had the shudder w/ clicking axles. SC replaced the axles and clevis and whatever other hardware that's part of that repair. It fixed the issue for a while, but still came back within 10-15k miles (just a guestimate). On the plaid, I am also aware of the vibration on the first drive ~40mph but don't think that's related to the axles.
I'm thinking about getting a MS Plaid 23' , is this something that should detract me from getting it? I drove the LR MS and truly just fell in love. I loved the car so much!

How did this go? I'm thinking about getting a MS Plaid 23', should this genuinely detract me from buying this car? I drove the MS LR and I truly just enjoyed the car so much that I wanted to order a Plaid with these new prices! Is this something that should truly make me rethink my entire decision? Vibration stuff included.