Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PLAID damaged by TESLA minutes before delivery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[I am a new member here, and to Tesla. I apologize if this isn’t posted in the appropriate category. If that is the case, could a moderator please relocate to the correct location.]

I am soo frustrated, irritated and upset. Literally minutes (less than an hour) before my new Tesla Model S PLAID was to be delivered to me this past Thursday -Oct 28th,Tesla called to tell me that strong wind caught the door of another car and slammed into the side of my car during them prepping the car for delivery. They sent me pics and asked if I wanted the car still delivered or if I wanted to have them keep the car repair it. I already had my PPF, ceramic coating and tint scheduled out well before the delivery date that I had to cancel. The car door hit hard enough that it went completely through the paint and caused 2 points of impact on the door according to the Tesla rep and will require both body and paint work, PDR is not possible.

So here I am now waiting on my car even longer that I have been waiting for months to receive. I’ve already purchased the car and I don’t have it and have to wait at least a week or more longer to receive. My BIGGEST issue is that I am now receiving a new car that has been damaged and will already have both body and paint work done on it post-production. This is much different than a defect from manufacturing. I basically feel like I have purchased a REFURBISHED Model S PLAID at FULL retail price. I am completely disappointed and I’m very dissatisfied at this point.

I feel like I should be offered something from Tesla in this situation. Maybe FSD (which I did not elect to purchase as most seem to think at THIS MOMENT still it’s not all that worth it at least from what I gather) or maybe the upcoming Track Pack wheels that will be coming out sometime soon for the Model S Plaid (the ones they are setting Nürburgring records with).

I just feel like I am being gipped as I’ve paid full retail price on this car just to be delivered to me essentially as a Refurbished vehicle. To add insult to injury im sure they are going to put miles on my brand new car that I had built to take back and forth from their repair facility. This is not a good first experience for me with Tesla, especially at this tier of a purchase.

Anyone else have any experience with a situation like this? Thoughts? Advice?
I’m ears open.

I haven’t officially contacted or approached Tesla yet with my dissatisfaction as I wanted to get some advice first.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 49C1FEDD-3627-4C24-9DBB-8BF9FD46495B.jpeg
    49C1FEDD-3627-4C24-9DBB-8BF9FD46495B.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 604
  • 8A2F0D1C-231F-4078-8FD7-8EC6C3D05E3A.jpeg
    8A2F0D1C-231F-4078-8FD7-8EC6C3D05E3A.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 396
Bummer, sounds like an unfortunate accident.

I understand your disappointment but can’t say I agree with the idea that Tesla owes you $5-10k in compensation for an accidental door ding. Sounds like they will fix it good as new and you’ll be on your way soon enough.
I agree here. Stuff happens. Tesla will fix it good as new. It’s factory finished and no value lost. It’s unfortunate. I feel your pain on having to reschedule appointments too, but this is common because Tesla is late all the time with deliveries. If you can afford a Plaid, well you can make other arrangements for a short time. It’s sucks. But Ok.

Bummer, sounds like an unfortunate accident.

I understand your disappointment but can’t say I agree with the idea that Tesla owes you $5-10k in compensation for an accidental door ding. Sounds like they will fix it good as new and you’ll be on your way soon enough.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. That said, the FSD would not cost them $10k, it’s basically free for them to enable it on my car. I also have to disagree that this is just a “door ding”. It completely bent into the body line of the door. That’s body work, not just paint repair.

...I feel like I should be offered something from Tesla in this situation. Maybe FSD (which I did not elect to purchase as most seem to think at THIS MOMENT still it’s not all that worth it at least from what I gather) or maybe the upcoming Track Pack wheels that will be coming out sometime soon for the Model S Plaid (the ones they are setting Nürburgring records with)...

It would be a nice gesture from Tesla but by now you should know and ask are its Customer Service and Public Relations would be that good?

That said, the FSD would not cost them $10k, it’s basically free for them to enable it on my car.
This is really immaterial, if they’re giving something away that ostensibly has a market value of $10k.

I also have to disagree that this is just a “door ding”. It completely bent into the body line of the door. That’s body work, not just paint repair.
And again, I’m sure they’ll fix it as good as new, which from my perspective is precisely what they owe you.

I think if you’re this bent about it (pun intended) you probably should have refused delivery of the car and got back in line for a new one.

This isn’t a Tesla thing this is a unfortunate accident.

It still blows my mind people don’t understand how many people are waiting from cars from every company.

Tesla’s capacity is pretty incredible if you look at it industry wide.
I can’t say I fully agree. If you were at say Lowe’s and the employee hit your car with a forklift, or even the employee collecting carts hit your car with a cart while pushing them into the store from the parking lot it would be a Lowe’s thing. Lowe’s would still be responsible for the damage as their employee cause the damage.

This car was in Tesla’s complete care, at their private facility and possession when their employee opened a door and didn’t account for the wind and allowed it to slam into the door of this car that belongs to me as I’ve purchased it.

Completely agree it was an accident but it is very much still a Tesla thing.

I can’t say I fully agree. If you were at say Lowe’s and the employee hit your car with a forklift, or even the employee collecting carts hit your car with a cart while pushing them into the store from the parking lot it would be a Lowe’s thing. Lowe’s would still be responsible for the damage as their employee cause the damage.
Agreed, and Lowe’s would no doubt file a claim with their insurance company to have your car fixed as good as new. I’m sure the store manager would apologize sincerely, but they’re probably not gonna load you up with $10,000 of lumber for the inconvenience.

This is really immaterial, if they’re giving something away that ostensibly has a market value of $10k.

And again, I’m sure they’ll fix it as good as new, which from my perspective is precisely what they owe you.

I think if you’re this bent about it (pun intended) you probably should have refused delivery of the car and got back in line for a new one.
Agreed, and Lowe’s would no doubt file a claim with their insurance company to have your car fixed as good as new. I’m sure the store manager would apologize sincerely, but they’re probably not gonna load you up with $10,000 of lumber for the inconvenience.
Alright… sooo add into the fact that this was a brand new $130-150k car with close to no miles. You’re telling me that it would have no impact on value.!?

Diminished value is a real thing. I’m also pretty sure a lawyer would think so, regardless of if it shows up on a vehicle history report or not. Which honestly, at this point I’m not sure if it will or won’t reflect on the vehicle history report since Tesla isn’t even actually considered a dealer yet, here in Texas.

Adding that it is a rare and highly in demand vehicle that I would have to wait months again for another one…

Seems like the vibe I’m getting on here is that just because I can afford a Plaid, I’ll be ok. wow

Last edited:
Alright… sooo add into the fact that this was a brand new $130-150k car with close to no miles. You’re telling me that it would have no impact on value.!?
Yes, I generally think a pre-delivery door ding repair that is almost certainly not going to show up on a vehicle history report will have basically zero effect on the car’s value.

Anyway. I think I’ve sufficiently offered my opinion at this point so I’ll bow out of the conversation after this post. I understand your disappointment and frustration. I think your expectations about what you’re owed are unrealistic. Based on 5 years of experience with Tesla I’m quite certain they aren’t going to voluntarily give you what you’ve suggested they should.

So, it sounds like your options are accept that, lawyer up, or maybe pursue your own insurance company for the diminished value you think you’ve suffered.

Sincerely, best of luck with however you end up proceeding.

Do be sure to opt out of the arbitration clause in your purchase agreement if you want to make this a thing.

Diminished value is a real thing. I’m also pretty sure a lawyer would think so, regardless of if it shows up on a vehicle history report or not. Which honestly, at this point I’m not sure if it will or won’t reflect on the vehicle history report since Tesla isn’t even actually considered a dealer yet, here in Texas.

Adding that it is a rare and highly in demand vehicle that I would have to wait months again for another one…

Seems like the vibe I’m getting on here is that just because I can afford a Plaid, I’ll be ok. wow
You don’t have to accept the car. What is the problem?

It sounds like you just want a discount or a concession which you will not get from Tesla.

Yes, I generally think a pre-delivery door ding repair that is almost certainly not going to show up on a vehicle history report will have basically zero effect on the car’s value.

Anyway. I think I’ve sufficiently offered my opinion at this point so I’ll bow out of the conversation after this post. I understand your disappointment and frustration. I think your expectations about what you’re owed are unrealistic. Based on 5 years of experience with Tesla I’m quite certain they aren’t going to voluntarily give you what you’ve suggested they should.

So, it sounds like your options are accept that, lawyer up, or maybe pursue your own insurance company for the diminished value you think you’ve suffered.

Sincerely, best of luck with however you end up proceeding.

Do be sure to opt out of the arbitration clause in your purchase agreement if you want to make this a thing.
I do really appreciate the feedback and input. I do honestly feel that you might have a slightly different opinion if this were to happen to you directly versus reading it on a forum online by some dude you don’t know.

Again, I don’t mean to be obstinate or ungrateful towards your input. I know you are just providing your input, perspective and point of view. At the same time, mine may be a little skewed because I am irritated and disappointed.

Thank you all the same. =)

Last edited:
Reactions: Serayne and byeLT4
You don’t have to accept the car. What is the problem?

It sounds like you just want a discount or a concession which you will not get from Tesla.
I’m not going to explain AGAIN why I don’t won’t to reject the delivery and wait months and all the problems associated with all the words written above this post.

About the second bit… Challenge Accepted.

I agree with you. Personally I wouldn't take delivery of that car. If I'm getting a new car it better be new from the factory.

That said dealers do fix new cars that got damaged in transport and sell as new. But if I had a choice I wouldn't want to drive a refurbished car, especially one that's been fixed by a Tesla service center.

Reactions: DCEV
I agree with you. Personally I wouldn't take delivery of that car. If I'm getting a new car it better be new from the factory.

That said dealers do fix new cars that got damaged in transport and sell as new. But if I had a choice I wouldn't want to drive a refurbished car, especially one that's been fixed by a Tesla service center.
I honestly wonder IF I were to reject the vehicle… would they disclose both paint and body work done on the car to the new buyer?

I think that’s my problem. Touching up a paint scuff is one thing… doing the body work of remaking the crease in the door, then repainting it is significantly more substantial.

I really wanted to get this car… sucks.

Reactions: jebinc