Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Drag Racing - Not such a great night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They did.

Brooks seems to think his plaids performance degraded with time but that really isn’t consistent with dragy tests people did about a year after the plaid was released. Nor is it consistent with older generation of S that maintained its performance with time. My guess is Tesla found a reliability issue that may have cost them with the 8 year warranty.

So when it Tesla going to remove the "fastest accelerating car in production today" from the site? Now it could be argued the Sapphire is not yet a production car but rather a "limited production" car based on it's numbers which is technically a different category than "production car". Also, since the only Sapphires that have actually shipped are to executives, family, and special friends of the company.

I’m pretty sure they still list the plaid as trapping 155 Eventhough it never did.

Eh, still way better than Dodge that, AFAIK, when they launched the original demon (back in 17 or 18? I forget) they claimed a factory 9 second 1/4 mile time (like 9.65 or something) and then in the real world NO one could even get into the 9s on pure factory setup. IIRC, the reason was that Dodge used a pro driver on a prepped 1/4 mile surface in perfect condition to get something like 9.65 (they may even had to use 100 octane gas, not sure on that though) where as Plaid is way way more achievable in its advertised 1/4 mile targets.

I’m convinced Tesla nerfed the plaids after 21 MY and has something to do with the startup vibration that only happens on 22+. New ones aren’t even trapping 150 anymore.
I was informed by one of the engineers at tesla that the cars had a power reduction at a certain speed some customers after reviewing data sent back had front lifted which was a major concern. If you look at the time slip from Jay leno it proved that the car was way faster . Jay lenno is not 150lb for sure and yes the track was prepped. Even his 1/8 mile time and trap was much higher than and stock full weight plaid can do. Andrews plaid has weight reduction enabling him to achieve 9.2s ( which is what the car did when jay lenno ran it with 21 inch wheels. ) . Either way the car is still stupid fast and until the plaid + or roadster comes out we just have to wait and see