Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Drag Racing - Not such a great night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BS - I'll buy a Plaid and a Cayman GT4 for track use for the same price.
Yeah that's basically what it comes down to. I'm sure the Lucid has fantastic suspension, traction control, torque vectoring, etc. But at the end of the day it's still a 5400lb car. So Plaid for straight line fun and something along the lines of a GT4 or a 911 GTS for the track would be the way to go IMO.

Not only they didn't test a track package, but they also went to the 1/2 mile without using track mode and everybody talks about how worthy is the $250k price tag compared even to the $89k Plaid.
That’s exactly what dragtimes mentioned in the very first comment. There’s no way to get around the price difference

Reactions: HighPotential
Not only they didn't test a track package, but they also went to the 1/2 mile without using track mode and everybody talks about how worthy is the $250k price tag compared even to the $89k Plaid.

He was just pissed that Tesla wouldn't answer the phone so they punished Tesla, and rightfully so, for dissing them (even though there is no PR department). Even without a PR department, if Tesla can't be bothered to respond to MotorTrend, they kind of deserve what they get. At the same time, I give no credence at all to this review because it was anger biased including an uncharacteristically slow 1/4 mile time which MT already admitted, in the written article, that the Plaid is slight faster in the 1/4 because it's also faster by 0.1 seconds than the Sapphire in the 0-60.

He was just pissed that Tesla wouldn't answer the phone so they punished Tesla, and rightfully so, for dissing them (even though there is no PR department). Even without a PR department, if Tesla can't be bothered to respond to MotorTrend, they kind of deserve what they get. At the same time, I give no credence at all to this review because it was anger biased including an uncharacteristically slow 1/4 mile time which MT already admitted, in the written article, that the Plaid is slight faster in the 1/4 because it's also faster by 0.1 seconds than the Sapphire in the 0-60.
In fairness the 9.2 Motortrend pulled off was on a track of Tesla's choosing prepped with glue etc. Doesn't seem like those were the conditions they did these test runs on.

I do wish we had an option of spending say $20k on some real suspension (in fact I bet the factory bilsteins with some better software tuning would go a long way). Unfortunately Tesla just doesn't really care about performance items if they don't generate a quick sound bite.

Now I don't find my handling to be quite as bad as described in the video -- I actually found the car to have surprisingly good control for what it is. But I'm also not a motortrend test driver so our perspectives are probably skewed

Worthless review and about what I expect from MT. Track Pack is much more than big ccbs as owners have assessed. Quit complaining about the yoke when THERE IS A ROUND WHEEL AVAILABLE as standard.

I have zero delusions that the Sapphire is the superior ev performance sedan. But for double the price of a Track Pack Plaid with still a sht charging experience, hard pass.

Nevertheless, thanks for sharing.

As expected. The Plaid needs to be in Track Mode to unlock its dynamic handling, and the yoke argument is pointless in 2024 where the wheel is standard. Then again, the Sapphire is nearly 3x the price of the Plaid.
They did reach out to Tesla for a car and they ignored them. The Yoke is still an option on the car and pointing out that it's still one of the stupidest ideas the company came up with is warranted. And if the car is capable of better handling, there should be an option to access that without having to use the track mode on the street.

In fairness the 9.2 Motortrend pulled off was on a track of Tesla's choosing prepped with glue etc. Doesn't seem like those were the conditions they did these test runs on.

I do wish we had an option of spending say $20k on some real suspension (in fact I bet the factory bilsteins with some better software tuning would go a long way). Unfortunately Tesla just doesn't really care about performance items if they don't generate a quick sound bite.

Now I don't find my handling to be quite as bad as described in the video -- I actually found the car to have surprisingly good control for what it is. But I'm also not a motortrend test driver so our perspectives are probably skewed

There are videos all over youtube in the 9.2 range on unprepped streets:

Also, if I'm being honest, I also give no credence to Andrew's rematch with the Sapphire. That first matchup was very embarrassing to Lucid. If I were the CEO, there's no way I wouldn't be paying a huge amount of attention to that specific car. I'm not saying this happened, but I wouldn't be surprised if that particular car had a little help so it wouldn't lose again in a rematch.

There are videos all over youtube in the 9.2 range on unprepped streets:
Dragy is inherently going to have some degree of error compared to a direct measurement. And maybe the stretch of road they used was uphill or something I don't know. But the sapphire was tested right next to it on the same road, so the same deficiencies should apply. It also tested a slower time than what it should be capable of. The delta between the cars is more useful than the precise number IMO.

Dragy is inherently going to have some degree of error compared to a direct measurement. And maybe the stretch of road they used was uphill or something I don't know. But the sapphire was tested right next to it on the same road, so the same deficiencies should apply. It also tested a slower time than what it should be capable of. The delta between the cars is more useful than the precise number IMO.

Even a prepped track is going to have error unless you do it in both directions back to back to account for wind.

Even a prepped track is going to have error unless you do it in both directions back to back to account for wind.
Maybe, but the time is going to be more consistent than a glorified accelerometer. Again, why I think the delta of two cars is more relevant rather than the precise number. The Sapphire is faster, which is okay.

Maybe, but the time is going to be more consistent than a glorified accelerometer. Again, why I think the delta of two cars is more relevant rather than the precise number. The Sapphire is faster, which is okay.

I've watched enough of Brooks' runs where he does multiple back to backs to believe Dragy is consistent enough.

FYI, I have a VBOX Sport for sale for cheap if anyone is interested.

I don't really know or care who "Brooks" is, but again, like I said the precise number doesn't really matter. Two cars were tested at the same time on the same road in the same conditions, one was faster. That's all we need to know.

They did reach out to Tesla for a car and they ignored them. The Yoke is still an option on the car and pointing out that it's still one of the stupidest ideas the company came up with is warranted. And if the car is capable of better handling, there should be an option to access that without having to use the track mode on the street.
That argument isn't valid. They tested a 2021, end of story. It's an older car, with an older default steering mechanism. You cannot buy that as a default car today, unless you specifically spec it that way. If Motortrend really gave a crap they could go Turo one or rent one. I'm not saying that their other critiques etc about luxury aren't valid, but they clearly made very little effort. Like saying multiple times the Sapphire is twice the price of the Plaid when in reality it's just under three times the price.

Whatever, of course. I'm sure the Sapphire is faster, but Motortrend could at least make more of an effort.

ou cannot buy that as a default car today, unless you specifically spec it that way.
Hence you can buy it, and it is worthy of criticism if for no other reason to inform buyers to not buy the option. Arguably it shouldn't be offered at all because it is that bad.

I think they made plenty of effort. They're not obligated to buy a newer version of the same car when mechanically they're identical. I don't believe there are any track pack model S available for rent anyway.

Whatever, of course. I'm sure the Sapphire is faster, but Motortrend could at least make more of an effort.

I'm not even sure that's the case. This video is poisoned with bias due to Tesla's typical lack of communication. To me, it looked like the reviewer was punishing Tesla for pissing them off. I can't say I wouldn't have done the same. Now we need to wait for more reviews to really be sure. Would have been nice if this one was but the reviewer came off as insincere nearly the entire time.