Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Plaid - Here we go again! SSDD and tires...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you seen the wear pattern of a tire that has been under inflated? The outer edges are worn out faster than the center. Underinflation causes the sidewalls to carry more weight of the vehicle than the centers. That is going to exacerbate the inner edge wear problem.

Higher pressure causes the center of the tire to support the vehicle more, reducing the wear on the outer edges.

View attachment 984301
I kept mine at 45 psi and still wore out the inner edge and delaminated at 16k miles.

I kept mine at 45 psi and still wore out the inner edge and delaminated at 16k miles.
You got longer than I did. I don't think mine were ever that high. My rears were gone in 5k miles.

FYI - since you have staggered tires, Michelin's treadwear warranty is cut in half from 30k to 15k so in reality, you did better than they guarantee in a staggered config.

Have you seen the wear pattern of a tire that has been under inflated? The outer edges are worn out faster than the center. Underinflation causes the sidewalls to carry more weight of the vehicle than the centers. That is going to exacerbate the inner edge wear problem.

Higher pressure causes the center of the tire to support the vehicle more, reducing the wear on the outer edges.

View attachment 984301
Yes, more air makes the corners stiffer (as proven by your own image) which results it the issue being focused on an even smaller strip of the inside corner.

This isn't a singular variable causing the issue, there's a combination of factors at play.

If it was underinflated you would have gotten even less miles out of them.

Yes, more air makes the corners stiffer (as proven by your own image) which results it the issue being focused on an even smaller strip of the inside corner.

This isn't a singular variable causing the issue, there's a combination of factors at play.

Overinflation increases the wear on the center, not the edges.

Yes. But underinflation would cause the edges(inner and outer sidewalls) of the tire to wear out even faster. Just like the picture shows.

But we're not talking about a situation where BOTH edges wear down, it's a single edge on the inside being scraped across the asphalt because of a bad toe setting. Inflation is not the issue here and will not resolve the problem.
Same for me.

Changed to winter/spikes a few days ago and got to look more in depth on the 21" PS4S. The outer edge has not even started wearing, and manufacturing marks still is there. On the inside the edge is starting to "blank" on the corner, this despite the complete with on the part normally facing ground is looking very nive and even worn. Toe out issue, I'd say.
I did run with the prescribed pressure at all times.

In front it is the other way around, the outside is more worn, toe in issue.

Will go to the alignment shop and get it fixed asap.

I will be back with some pictures.

Reactions: Sam1
Same for me.

Changed to winter/spikes a few days ago and got to look more in depth on the 21" PS4S. The outer edge has not even started wearing, and manufacturing marks still is there. On the inside the edge is starting to "blank" on the corner, this despite the complete with on the part normally facing ground is looking very nive and even worn. Toe out issue, I'd say.
I did run with the prescribed pressure at all times.

In front it is the other way around, the outside is more worn, toe in issue.

Will go to the alignment shop and get it fixed asap.

I will be back with some pictures.
if you don't mind post the specs before they change anything. I think most of us that have been getting alignments have installed suspension parts prior to checking, so we don't really know how bad the factory alignment is.

Reactions: AAKEE
I never said inflation was the issue nor will it solve the problem. I said underinflation would exacerbate the problem.
The opposite is true. Not going to draw up a diagram to explain it, but if you make the corner where the problem exists less stiff, it's going to spread the load across a larger area. A stiffer sidewall decreases the surface area being scrubbed, increasing the pressure on that area, and increasing the wear rate.

Put the palm of your hand on concrete, press and drag it a few inches. Then put the tip of your finger on the concrete and apply the same level of pressure and drag it across. See which one has more significant damage.

Just got the shims delivered and will get them installed soon after delivery … thanks for the info.

Thank god I didn’t buy the MSP out of ecological altruism. Between my utility sourcing my power from coal, the horrors of lithium mining, and now the amount of tire microplastics all these cars produce with this added tire wear, I probably have a greener footprint with the 8mpg Durango Hellcat I’m getting out of, lol. And so much for the idea of saving on oil changes if one has to swap tires every few thousand miles.

Hopefully these little parts will solve one of the above issues. :)

• Funny
Reactions: ginmqi and Sam1
Just got the shims delivered and will get them installed soon after delivery … thanks for the info.

Thank god I didn’t buy the MSP out of ecological altruism. Between my utility sourcing my power from coal, the horrors of lithium mining, and now the amount of tire microplastics all these cars produce with this added tire wear, I probably have a greener footprint with the 8mpg Durango Hellcat I’m getting out of, lol. And so much for the idea of saving on oil changes if one has to swap tires every few thousand miles.

Hopefully these little parts will solve one of the above issues. :)
Yeah, I spend 4-5 times more on tires than I do on electricity. And that's with ideal tire wear of about 20k miles per set!

Well, 10K later on new revision MIchelin 4S "T2" tires...

Starting another Michelin warranty claim now. Dealer is saying these tires have 70% life left. More to come...

This warrantty claim is NOT going as smoothly as the first. Mainly because Michelin took the "chat" feature off their website... or at least made it near impossible to find.

1698856010458.png

They still mention it in their canned response, so they haven't sync'd up with their support team or it's well hidden. They could have provided a link tot he chat in the canned email. :rolleyes:

As a data point, just over a year in with my 2022 Plaid and swapped out for my winter 19s. I have about 5K miles on the stock 21s. Both front and rear look fine, reading 6/32nds, with no obvious wear on the edges that I can tell.

Here's a rear:

1698857488635.jpeg

1698857500970.jpeg

1698857511312.jpeg

And here's a front, for comparison. They look the same to my eyes:

1698857534252.jpeg

1698857545751.jpeg

As a data point, just over a year in with my 2022 Plaid and swapped out for my winter 19s. I have about 5K miles on the stock 21s. Both front and rear look fine, reading 6/32nds, with no obvious wear on the edges that I can tell.

Here's a rear:

Thanks for the pictures at 5K. The "wear" can sneak up pretty quick and is usually closer to 10K. I guess next summer, post some more pictures around 10K. :D

Yeah, the front hasn't been a problem. 20K on mine and they look quite normal... even wear appropriate for 20K.

This warrantty claim is NOT going as smoothly as the first. Mainly because Michelin took the "chat" feature off their website... or at least made it near impossible to find.

View attachment 987048

They still mention it in their canned response, so they haven't sync'd up with their support team or it's well hidden. They could have provided a link tot he chat in the canned email. :rolleyes:

Okay, I managed to ferret out the chat contact page.

Used a combination of Google cached entries and Michelin Site Map.

I had a short chat with a representative who didn't seem that interested in helping me. He did give me a number for the dealer to call (not me) to inquire on the case. I already shared that with my local dealer.

Thanks for the pictures at 5K. The "wear" can sneak up pretty quick and is usually closer to 10K. I guess next summer, post some more pictures around 10K. :D

Yeah, the front hasn't been a problem. 20K on mine and they look quite normal... even wear appropriate for 20K.
Yeah certainly not counting any chickens but it's promising. I also run in Low the whole time to minimize the 40-50mph vibration that should hopefully be gone with the new TSB we'll get *soon*. So I'm running a worst-case scenario based on the findings in this forum, but so far, so good at least.

Here's a rear:

View attachment 987056
View attachment 987057
View attachment 987058

View attachment 987059
View attachment 987060
Yeah, mine looked fine like yours until at least 10 or 15k, and then delaminated at 16k miles.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG