Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid track mode imminent.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see that. Charts are plotted by time. I assume that DS mode sets preprogrammed expected traction and goes to speed earlier if traction is there. That might make it look like slightly more power on top.
For sure, but the car is visibly slower in Track Mode. Everyone that's gotten has commented such. This post may be helpful. :)
See because compare the Drag Mode to Track Mode:

Drag Mode:

Track Mode:

Especially above ~120 mph, it really slows down. I mean quite a bit. And even more past 140 mph. It's not slow at all, but it just doesn't accelerate past 130-140 with the same, urgency if you will. So my guess is they thermal de-rate power in Track Mode at high speeds to keep everything cool.

I'm still having trouble to actually see it. I see talks about feel. I see posted numbers above about maximum power in different modes. I've seen video where TM+DS give better results than DS.
I saw that stuff too, and it's close. However, especially after 140, take a closer look. The DS Mode just keeps chugging along to 163, vs. the Track Mode, which slows down after that point. And yeah, in 0-60 it may or may not be better; I don't know. But absolutely it will be slower in ET and trap speed in the 1/4 mile in Track Mode. And this makes sense. The car in Track Mode is likely not optimized for best straight line performance, and peak sustained power at high speeds. It is instead optimized for endurance and stability around turns and the track. This is why the times to get to peak performance in DS Mode vs. Track mode differ. One cools, one heats. Track Mode will cool everything to a low temperature to maximize endurance, and DS Mode optimizes for max straight line performance, with the flattest power curve, and heats the battery to around 108 F. Even in Plaid Mode vs. Track Mode, the Plaid Mode will likely be faster. :)
The Plaid has so much power that it will smack anyone even with thermal de-rating at high speeds, so I can see why they did it, although I do wish it had the full power like normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: MattMac and tm1v2
Looks like the only difference is battery cell temperature, so track mode with excessive cooling is slower somewhat. On a track it will be hot again. We already know that track and drag mode both can do the same 820kw max power, so I doubt there is an artificial mode limit.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Looks like the only difference is battery cell temperature, so track mode with excessive cooling is slower somewhat. On a track it will be hot again. We already know that track and drag mode both can do the same 820kw max power, so I doubt there is an artificial mode limit.
That may be the case. As you say when the car heats up it will likely set it up for max acceleration. :)

Reactions: Mash
Is the rollout of track mode software somewhat slow?

The number of reviews / Youtube videos have been limited and I was hoping to see many more reviews, some track based. I understand it is the winter season and getting access to tracks is possibly difficult and not everyone tracks / drive their pride-and-joy like race drivers, but even so, I’d expected more owner impressions by now.

The number of reviews / Youtube videos have been limited and I was hoping to see many more reviews, some track based. I understand it is the winter season and getting access to tracks is possibly difficult and not everyone tracks / drive their pride-and-joy like race drivers, but even so, I’d expected more owner impressions by now.
I’ll get you a review in less than 2 weeks ;)
Heading to Buttonwillow for TeslaCorsa 20 on Jan 29th!

Not sure about other owners, but I am seeing this as a very slow roll out. I have yet to receive the update, have the car connected to Wi-Fi every night, no current issues or service appointments pending. Still no FSD strikes against me. Mid last week I reached out to the FSD beta team to see why it has not been pushed to my car yet…. Of course no response. Very odd and frankly infuriating.

Not sure about other owners, but I am seeing this as a very slow roll out. I have yet to receive the update, have the car connected to Wi-Fi every night, no current issues or service appointments pending. Still no FSD strikes against me. Mid last week I reached out to the FSD beta team to see why it has not been pushed to my car yet…. Of course no response. Very odd and frankly infuriating.

If I were to guess as to what Tesla are up to ..

1. Releasing updates in batches to assess user reaction and feedback to further refine the software before wider release
2. Slow release strategy to maintain and retain interest and excitement over the feature over a number of months
3. Depending on VIN, released vehicles may have different chipsets due to the chip shortages for control systems which require phased testing and releases to cover the various implementations

All wild guesses but I’m keen to see if track mode makes the Plaid more ”Taycan like ..”!

• Informative