Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Full buyback plus loan interest, registration, tax, FSD, premium connectivity, etc. They followed the NC lemon law formula. They prorated the purchase price by the mileage the problem started (2500 miles) / 120,000. https://ncdoj.gov/protecting-consumers/automobiles/lemon-law/

Total was $155k.

Maybe this is a way out of this mess. If I get a bad case of the vibes, esp at 80, I could lemon it. I'll have to check on the California Lemon laws.

If not, I'm stuck. The only thing I can afford to buy now after loosing 45% in value on the MS is a M3.

Reactions: jebinc
Maybe this is a way out of this mess. If I get a bad case of the vibes, esp at 80, I could lemon it. I'll have to check on the California Lemon laws.

If not, I'm stuck. The only thing I can afford to buy now after loosing 45% in value on the MS is a M3.
My car vibrates a little at 80mph both on my summer and winters. Feels like a wheel/tire imbalance, but I doubt it is since it feels the same on both my 21” summers and 19” winters. Meh.

So I have an appointment on Nov 17th to fix this vibration/knocking issue from the driver's left front through a software update. I wrote on the service ticket as much details as I could, and that's what they said.

Mine happens with my stock wheels and summers, and it's like a knocking sound when going over slight bumps at slow speeds, at first I thought it was a suspension issue, but I checked everything that I could, swaybars/endlinks and everything seemed tight. So I figured it's something to do with the left front driveshaft.

When swapping to my winter tires+spacers, I still hear the knocking. Seems to subside when the car and weather outside is cold, but more prominent when it's hotter or when the car is warmer. Also, I drive in low mode all the time, and driving it in medium/normal it worsens for some reason.

I'll update when I get the service done if that has anything to do with it.
Update to my issue, took the car to the SC on Friday 17th, and explained the slight knocking sound to the tech, took him for a ride and said he could hear it. 8 hours later, they said the vibration reduction TSB is not necessary in my car (2023.32 FSD), and they did some "body adjustments" per the service summary, but they didn't fix the issue.

I give up and I guess I'll have to live with this.

Update to my issue, took the car to the SC on Friday 17th, and explained the slight knocking sound to the tech, took him for a ride and said he could hear it. 8 hours later, they said the vibration reduction TSB is not necessary in my car (2023.32 FSD), and they did some "body adjustments" per the service summary, but they didn't fix the issue.

I give up and I guess I'll have to live with this.

Hope they did not break anything with the "Body Adjustments". Fingers crossed!

For my car the vibrations that was slowly increasing has decreased the last month.
Changed to winter tyres about then but there was no connection to that.
Still can be felkt but they are minor. My wife is not able to detect them.
I thought it was one-way-only with increasing vibrations.

For my car the vibrations that was slowly increasing has decreased the last month.
Changed to winter tyres about then but there was no connection to that.
Still can be felkt but they are minor. My wife is not able to detect them.
I thought it was one-way-only with increasing vibrations.
Since the last update, 2023.38.6, I'm not getting the low speed vibes. Might be a change in the weather or other factors.

Yeah, because I'm foolish enough to place another order for a base Plaid for $90k. We'll see if this one vibrates too....
In 2 days I will have owned my '23 MX Plaid for 1 month and I have all 3 of the vibration intervals. Initial drive vibration after the vehicle has been sitting for some time, the 38-52mph vibration, and the vibration at around 80mph.

Reactions: WilliamG
In 2 days I will have owned my '23 MX Plaid for 1 month and I have all 3 of the vibration intervals. Initial drive vibration after the vehicle has been sitting for some time, the 38-52mph vibration, and the vibration at around 80mph.
“Welcome back my friend to the show that never ends - step inside, step inside…”

Since the last update, 2023.38.6, I'm not getting the low speed vibes. Might be a change in the weather or other factors.
Im still at 2023.32.7, I had the car at the service center for some external fixes today, when I got it back 32.9 was waiting for install.

For me it seems to have slowly reduced. Not a gone in a second by firmware.
Maybe the low ambient makes it behave different with less vibrations? If so I can see that it matched the ambient drop when autumn got to winter…
(Higher viscosity in the grease etc.?)
At the moment about 10C in the garage and -19C outside.

C-c-c-c-c-cold? Yes, I know 😂

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
The vibrations can vary by temperature and I’m sure that’s motor related. We’ll likely see whenever 2023.44 hits. This teasing is making me mental.
I guess it it half shaft related but can be masked with front motor tuned software.

Too bad if the car gets to RWD:d because the rear wheel life and also for winter driving, somwhere around 50/50 is best and the spike tyres lives longer splitting the power even.

I guess it it half shaft related but can be masked with front motor tuned software.

Too bad if the car gets to RWD:d because the rear wheel life and also for winter driving, somwhere around 50/50 is best and the spike tyres lives longer splitting the power even.
I don’t believe it’s anything to do with half shafts. Never have, never will. I know some people have had half shafts replaced and have it be fixed temporarily (or made worse!) and I suspect that’s all to do with how the motor mates up, and the vibration transfer is felt via the shafts during the installation process, but I don’t believe the shafts are the root cause. Neither does, Tesla, seemingly.