Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plan: Off grid solar with a Model S battery pack at the heart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
G0025331-cropped.jpg

1/17th of my panels are now online. :D

Garage roof + test setup (12 panels, 2 controllers) (times UTC)
Currently:

Battery Voltage
45.1 V (3.76 V/cell)

Battery Amps
74 A (55.56 mA/cell)

Battery C Rate
0.0179 C

PV Voltage
127.05 V

PV Amps
27.5 A

PV Power
3354 W

Cool video. My mind is just boggling at how fiddly the installation of the racking is though. Huge labor expense there, there has to be a better way!

This is actually one of the fastest and simplest-to-install racking systems available believe it or not. I spent a good amount over top of the base cost of a generic racking setup to make sure install was as quick and smooth as possible. The least expensive setup would have involved at least 3x the labor for each mount point, which wouldn't have made sense.

Also keep in mind that my system is pretty huge compared to many grid-tied residential systems. My system is going to have something like ~70 mount points for the racks.

With any luck I'll have my roof system done by Thursday.

What's the plan for the remaining ground mount panels? are you going to the expense of trackers, or just fixed mount?
I'm also curious as to which rack system is used on your roof... I am hopeful someday my HOA will allow solar, I have a Southern exposure roof that's about 30' wide x 16' from peak to gutter, could use 16 of the same 435W panels you're using.

What is the brand of the racking?

What's the plan for the remaining ground mount panels? are you going to the expense of trackers, or just fixed mount?
I'm also curious as to which rack system is used on your roof... I am hopeful someday my HOA will allow solar, I have a Southern exposure roof that's about 30' wide x 16' from peak to gutter, could use 16 of the same 435W panels you're using.

I'm using the UNIRAC SolarMount racking system combined with the QuickMountPV mount points with integrated flashing. I'm also using the SolaDeck pass through junction boxes with integrated flashing for the wiring so that no wiring or conduit is visible.

As of right now, for the ground mount I'll probably be splitting it into three arrays of 20 to 24 panels using UNIRAC's U-LA fixed ground racking. To minimize potential eyesore from the street and to limit the height a bit I may use a softer angle than optimal. Potentially, I may put each sub-array at a slightly different angle. Design is still up in the air on the ground portion.

... I am hopeful someday my HOA will allow solar, I have a Southern exposure roof that's about 30' wide x 16' from peak to gutter, could use 16 of the same 435W panels you're using.

I was the first person in my HOA to install solar. Fortunately I had the Calfornia Solar Rights Act as a backup strategy if the HOA refused. You may have similar property owner laws in your state.

Yeah, NC has a similar law. My HOA has no rules against solar, however.

directley in the HOA "rules", we are prevented from adding or modifing the exterior of the units/houses (the complex is single family homes in a development, with a common clubhouse/pool)

This includes satellite dishes, and things like even changing an exterior light fixture or painting an exterior door a different color.
I have gotten away with the satellite dish, as it's not visible from most locations, and at least 6 other houses have them.

solar panels are a different matter though, as the condo association is responsible for the exterior maintenance of the houses/units, this includes roof replacement when it eventually needs to be done, so you can see why the old foggies might take issue with putting a bunch of holes in the asphalt shingles. The builder currently runs the HOA, and it is in the process of being turned over to the homeowners, so who knows, maybe I'll become a "condo commando" and get one of the 5 HOA board seats and advocate to add a solar exception (most likely this will affect your roof replacement warranty/etc)

Mitch,

Just a minor note, there are federal rules that removed the ability for an HOA to prevent a satellite dish from being installed in almost all cases. States are beginning the same type of curtailing of HOA's for solar and EV chargers, but those are on a state by state basis right now.

Peter
directley in the HOA "rules", we are prevented from adding or modifing the exterior of the units/houses (the complex is single family homes in a development, with a common clubhouse/pool)

This includes satellite dishes, and things like even changing an exterior light fixture or painting an exterior door a different color.
I have gotten away with the satellite dish, as it's not visible from most locations, and at least 6 other houses have them.

solar panels are a different matter though, as the condo association is responsible for the exterior maintenance of the houses/units, this includes roof replacement when it eventually needs to be done, so you can see why the old foggies might take issue with putting a bunch of holes in the asphalt shingles. The builder currently runs the HOA, and it is in the process of being turned over to the homeowners, so who knows, maybe I'll become a "condo commando" and get one of the 5 HOA board seats and advocate to add a solar exception (most likely this will affect your roof replacement warranty/etc)

If you're going on the HOA board, why not think big? Panels on ALL the roofs, storage a la WK057 in the clubhouse, free juice all round...

If you're going on the HOA board, why not think big? Panels on ALL the roofs, storage a la WK057 in the clubhouse, free juice all round...

The complex was originally a 55 and over community, and the majority of the residents are older, on fixed incomes.
Solar will not fly, unless it costs nothing to install and saves them money. Also, I doubt I could get a seat on the board, they are aware of my position on solar, etc. The other issue, as they will see it, is, not all of the houses are positioned where solar would work, so their attitude will be its not "fair", because not all structures will qualify for solar (Solar City and an independent solar contractor have aready evaluated my house, which has a great Southern roof exposure with no tree's/shading issues). More than likely, it will eventually be allowed, once enough of older, vocal old farts meet there maker)