Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning: Cross Country @TeslaRoadTrip to TMC Connect!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cottonwood, Stevezzzz

Thanks for the suggestions... We will take all into consideration. Still don't know how many people we are going to have - although I do like the idea of having up to 4 people per car to maximize everything. Taking an extra day (starting Friday instead of Saturday) may be difficult for most since those that are doing the round trip will already be looking at a 2 weeks vacation. Starting Friday would infringe on a 3rd business week.

If we do get large, I do like the idea of staggering the cars each day - possibly meeting up for lunch along the way or a photo op. I want to manage things as best we can but still keep the social aspect of this road trip if possible.

I'm going to have Peter (bluetinc) chime in here -- he's our charging coordinator and did an amazing job at calculating charge times & optimizations during our DC event last weekend... He made charging all the long distance attendees cars smooth as silk....

Aaron

I travel from St. Louis to Milwaukee, a 400 mile trip, quite often and the best I can do it in is 9 1/2 hours with 2 SC stops. So assuming 3 SC's and an additional 2 1/2 hour drive we are taking about around 13 hours of driving each day. With that in mind and the need to stagger starts every 1 to 1 1/2 hours to allow for people to complete charging just as others are arriving, we may have a very long day each day. So, definitely a good idea to have a co-pilot.

Also, do we know what the number of chargers is at each SC? It might be helpful in planning the number of cars per group each day. Assuming this becomes a convoy of Model S's, which I'm hoping it will.

BBQ: I'm going to make sure we have a few media here at the beginning of the bbq, to get some shots of all the electric cars ... will be quite the site to behold. And Aaron and I may have a small surprise for charging options up our sleeve for everyone. And of course, the Folsom superchargers (just an fyi) are about 13 miles from the house.

I'll have invites pulled together for the bbq, which will include what to bring (things like towels and swimsuits if you want to use the pool and/or hot tub) and I'll check out a couple of local hotel options & see if one will give a nice discount to people in the group.

BBQ: I'm going to make sure we have a few media here at the beginning of the bbq, to get some shots of all the electric cars ... will be quite the site to behold. And Aaron and I may have a small surprise for charging options up our sleeve for everyone. And of course, the Folsom superchargers (just an fyi) are about 13 miles from the house.

I'll have invites pulled together for the bbq, which will include what to bring (things like towels and swimsuits if you want to use the pool and/or hot tub) and I'll check out a couple of local hotel options & see if one will give a nice discount to people in the group.

Bonnie,

Thanks SO MUCH for your graciousness in hosting this BBQ - without a doubt, it will be one of the highlights of this exciting Cross Country Trip and Conference!

If there is *any* help you need, contributions (dollars, food, etc...), please don't hesitate to ask!

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

Liz, All -

I've done some updates to the first post in this thread and to the http://teslaroadtrip.org website...

As Liz suggested - and to make planning easier, I've added the number of Supercharger Stalls to the listing of all the charging stops along the route.

I should also note that Peter Soukup (bluetinc) has been elected as our Charging Coordinator. Peter was the Lead Charging Ambassador at our recent Washington, DC event and he has extensive knowledge of Model S and it's charging capabilities. He made the complexity of charging our long distance travelers for that event a breeze. He will likewise be a godsend to making sure the complexities of charging during this Cross Country Trip a breeze as well. So put your mind at ease... He will figure out the best way to get all of us charged!

I have also gone ahead and updated the participant list and have broken it out based upon where people will be joining up with the rest of us. Please check it for accuracy. In some cases I don't have names and I may have incorrectly listed where you will be joining us.

Rather than posting updates here in the thread, please email updates (and new participants) to our main email: [email protected]

We also could use 3-4 more volunteers to join the planning team. In addition, we could also use someone that has access to conference calling capabilities. If you're interested, please email me at the above address.

Thanks All - this is going to be an amazing trip and event! A special thanks to Bonnie for hosting the BBQ Thursday night!

Aaron

Thanks Aaron.S and Bonnie and everyone else who is getting this ball rolling!

A couple of ?'s/notes... please be sure to post info regarding car transport. Someone in our local group has suggested that perhaps the St. Louis contingent (three cars so far) investigate car transport to Denver - so if you already have a go to transport service, please let me know - I don't even know where to start looking for that.

Second thing... at this point, I will be a solo driver.. any chance of doing co-pilot signups for those who would like to make the cross country drive but can't/don't want to in their own car or who really need to fly home from Cali? Of course, this is going to mean we have to have the same taste in music, can stand each other for hours on end, etc.. but I suppose worst case, I kick you out and someone else in the group takes you? :tongue: (I kid, I am pretty easy going).

Thanks Aaron.S and Bonnie and everyone else who is getting this ball rolling!

A couple of ?'s/notes... please be sure to post info regarding car transport. Someone in our local group has suggested that perhaps the St. Louis contingent (three cars so far) investigate car transport to Denver - so if you already have a go to transport service, please let me know - I don't even know where to start looking for that.

Second thing... at this point, I will be a solo driver.. any chance of doing co-pilot signups for those who would like to make the cross country drive but can't/don't want to in their own car or who really need to fly home from Cali? Of course, this is going to mean we have to have the same taste in music, can stand each other for hours on end, etc.. but I suppose worst case, I kick you out and someone else in the group takes you? :tongue: (I kid, I am pretty easy going).

Hi Lydia,

I definitely suggest ALL CARS have at least one co-pilot since we will be doing a lot of driving each day! I will keep a list and update the first post in this thread.

All - if you're interested in being a co-pilot instead of bringing your own car (or even if you're just a Tesla fan), please let us know. As always, lets use the main email address for this: [email protected]

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

For what it's worth - if anyone wants to have their car transported all the way here to my place, I'm glad to take delivery and keep it safe til you arrive. (Serious offer, I won't be out driving it!) PM me for details.

Thanks AGAIN Bonnie... You're such the host!

Aaron

Aaron, I think we need a way to keep everyone who's signed up apprised of the details. Your website is a good place to keep a current snapshot, but unless we keep all correspondence here on this thread, you'll be the only one who's got the complete picture. How about starting a Google group for participants? It has the advantage of privacy (not that we have anything to hide), and we can still use your email address for correspondence directly with you. I'd volunteer to launch one, but I'm starting on my road trip in a few minutes and will have my hands full for ten days or so.

Steve, Robert -

Thanks! I've now created a "TMC Connect: Cross Country Drive" group here on TMC!

If you seriously intend to join the trip - please sign up! I will still keep the main thread updated, but we can get into more details in the group...

Aaron

@aaron.s

Don't know if you have gotten access to a conference line but I came across this article on free conference lines How to Start a Free Conference Call | PCWorld

Might be something to check out if no one has one already set up that we can use.

BTW: I know nothing about any of these just passing on the article.

Liz, All -

I've set up a free conference calling account -- details are posted in the "TMC Connect: Cross Country Drive" group....
If you seriously intend to join the trip - please sign up!

Thanks!

Aaron

Can locals attend and help out and donate? Sounds like fun!

For a name for this one, how about, @TeslaRoadTrip 3 "Supercharging Across America"

Lanny

2.5 maybe? If we are to make this an annual "gathering on the east coast" kinda breaking away from the annual part. haha! Could also call it @TeslaRoadTrip to TMC Connect "East meets West".

I am really considering to just tell my work, that I am going to take this week off.

Started my road trip along the Supercharger string west of Denver yesterday. I left home with a full range charge and was able to bypass the Silverthorne and go straight to Glenwood Springs. By the time I finished lunch I had almost a full charge and was able to bypass Grand Junction for Moab. Spent about 25 minutes at Moab and proceeded on to Blanding where I stopped for the night. Left home at 8am, got into Blanding at 6pm; except for about an hour spent taking photos and excercising the quadcopter along the Colorado River east of Moab, that's how long it takes from the north Denver suburbs to Blanding, driving the speed limit or 5 above. I'm on 19" wheels with Michelin Xi3 snows.

Statistics:

Denver-Glenwood: 182.6 miles, 56.1 kWh, 302 Wh/mi. Temps were in the 30's the whole way, with some major headwinds crossing the passes. I'm very happy with the 302 Wh/mi under those circumstances.

Glenwood-Moab: 191.1 miles, 53.5 kWh, 280 Wh/mi. Temps rose into the 60's, little wind; and this stretch follows the Colorado River downstream, for the most part, so it's gently downhill most of the way.

Moab-Blanding: 75.4 miles, 26.9 kWh, 357 Wh/mi. Temps low 60's, high 50's, no wind. Uphill almost 3000 feet from Moab to Monticello, then downhill almost 1000 feet to Blanding. I left Moab with 152 Rated miles and arrived in Blanding with 58 Rated miles.

Photos: Glenwood, Moab (x2), Blanding.

20140224-image_2.jpg
20140224-image_1.jpg
20140224-image.jpg
20140224-photo.jpg

Colorado River

20140224-P2240175-Edit.jpg

Quadcopter video:

http://www.stevezphoto.us/utah/h36541e58#h36541e58

Last edited:
Started my road trip along the Supercharger string west of Denver yesterday. I left home with a full range charge and was able to bypass the Silverthorne and go straight to Glenwood Springs. By the time I finished lunch I had almost a full charge and was able to bypass Grand Junction for Moab. Spent about 25 minutes at Moab and proceeded on to Blanding where I stopped for the night. Left home at 8am, got into Blanding at 6pm; except for about an hour spent taking photos and excercising the quadcopter along the Colorado River east of Moab, that's how long it takes from the north Denver suburbs to Blanding, driving the speed limit or 5 above. I'm on 19" wheels with Michelin Xi3 snows.

Statistics:

Denver-Glenwood: 182.6 miles, 56.1 kWh, 302 Wh/mi. Temps were in the 30's the whole way, with some major headwinds crossing the passes. I'm very happy with the 302 Wh/mi under those circumstances.

Glenwood-Moab: 191.1 miles, 53.5 kWh, 280 Wh/mi. Temps rose into the 60's, little wind; and this stretch follows the Colorado River downstream, for the most part, so it's gently downhill most of the way.

Moab-Blanding: 75.4 miles, 26.9 kWh, 357 Wh/mi. Temps low 60's, high 50's, no wind. Uphill almost 3000 feet from Moab to Monticello, then downhill almost 1000 feet to Blanding. I left Moab with 152 Rated miles and arrived in Blanding with 58 Rated miles.

Great work on the scouting! Beautiful photos and video!! Thanks for sharing!!!

What do you think it would have been like for you to make it on to Gouldings last night?

Statistics:

Thanks Steve!

So minus the hour you spent taking photos & video, we should be able to make it from Cheyenne to Blanding in 1 day.... Provided we stagger cars so we don't bottleneck at chargers or stagger groups to the in-between chargers if we can.

Aaron