Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning for road trip from SF Bay area to LA and Vegas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
as per the route plan i wont be using Tejon Super charger in my route. i am using the below super chargers

Bakersfield
Buena Park
Yermo
Las Vegas Blvd South
Yermo
Bakersfield
Harris Ranch

Careful with your choice of Buena Park. Tesla removed it from their maps, even though the chargers are still there. You might think about one of the 2 Downey sites as an alternative. Keep an eye on this thread:

Supercharger - Buena Park (removed from car nav 31 Aug 2018 but still operational)

In any case, hope your trip is safe and fun. :)

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Went from west San Jose to Orange County to Vegas in early July. Model X P100D with 2 kids (youngest is 4). The following some of the Superchargers we used and why they were chosen:

Kettleman: Private lobby and cleanest bathroom along I-5. We either pickup food nearby or bring our own food and eat in the lobby. You can keep an eye on your Tesla while parked. Play wall in lobby for little ones to check out and everyone can stretch their feet. Tesla coffee and Tesla swag that you can check out and even try on. I clean the windshield while here and a tire air station is available. If you haven't already guessed we use this as a long lunch stop.

Santa Clarita: It looks far from I-5 but it is only 2.9 miles on a fast (minimum 50 mph) and wide road. Nice area and shopping center. We stop here to avoid the busier LA Superchargers and for a quick bathroom break. I-5 can get backed up in front of Magic Mountain so going here can help you avoid some of the traffic.

Yermo: Eddie's World can get busy from all the ICE traffic, but the most Teslas I have seen at the Superchargers is 4. This is another good stop to clean the windshield. Clean and efficient bathrooms, if you see a line don't worry it goes fast. Walk around and check out the products, the variety is crazy.

Las Vegas Blvd South: Definitely the better of the two stops in Vegas. Nice large shopping center. We went here when the car was unloaded and had dinner at Lazy Dog. Yes, it is the same Lazy Dog chain that is at the Cupertino Supercharger. There is also a Fleming's, Bonefish Grill, and Texas de Brazil that you can see from the Supercharger.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and V2sj
In practical terms, this just isn't the way it works. You don't plan a detailed route and then proceed to execute. What you do is attend to your needs and desires as they crop up, and then reroute to accommodate. So you won't actually stop at those particular chargers. You'll deal with being hungry or needing a bathroom stop when you choose to. You'll look to see what superchargers are too busy and avoid those if possible. You'll definitely stop to charge at Kettleman City because it's awesome.

You really don't need to worry about it. It all works fine.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
Went from west San Jose to Orange County to Vegas in early July. Model X P100D with 2 kids (youngest is 4). The following some of the Superchargers we used and why they were chosen:

Kettleman: Private lobby and cleanest bathroom along I-5. We either pickup food nearby or bring our own food and eat in the lobby. You can keep an eye on your Tesla while parked. Play wall in lobby for little ones to check out and everyone can stretch their feet. Tesla coffee and Tesla swag that you can check out and even try on. I clean the windshield while here and a tire air station is available. If you haven't already guessed we use this as a long lunch stop.

Santa Clarita: It looks far from I-5 but it is only 2.9 miles on a fast (minimum 50 mph) and wide road. Nice area and shopping center. We stop here to avoid the busier LA Superchargers and for a quick bathroom break. I-5 can get backed up in front of Magic Mountain so going here can help you avoid some of the traffic.

Yermo: Eddie's World can get busy from all the ICE traffic, but the most Teslas I have seen at the Superchargers is 4. This is another good stop to clean the windshield. Clean and efficient bathrooms, if you see a line don't worry it goes fast. Walk around and check out the products, the variety is crazy.

Las Vegas Blvd South: Definitely the better of the two stops in Vegas. Nice large shopping center. We went here when the car was unloaded and had dinner at Lazy Dog. Yes, it is the same Lazy Dog chain that is at the Cupertino Supercharger. There is also a Fleming's, Bonefish Grill, and Texas de Brazil that you can see from the Supercharger.

Thank you for the Tip. This will come in handy this Christmas.

Reactions: HandleX
We're planning the opposite next week. We're driving from the OC area to Monterey and San Francisco.
Do you guys think the superchargers will be packed on Mon and Thurs?
We can take an ICE car if it's going to be insane.

I am betting that EVERY year the number of people taking Thanksgiving Tesla trips will increase and shock the system. Kettleman was a response to the other chargers having long lines during previous years. Hwy 5 might not be an issue this year, but somewhere in the network there are going to be long lines, considering how many new cars are hitting the road.

-Randy

I am betting that EVERY year the number of people taking Thanksgiving Tesla trips will increase and shock the system. Kettleman was a response to the other chargers having long lines during previous years. Hwy 5 might not be an issue this year, but somewhere in the network there are going to be long lines, considering how many new cars are hitting the road.

-Randy

I share your point of view. At least Interstate 5 is chock full of spots from Santa Clarita to the 5/580/205 triangle split. Ditto Interstate 15 with Yermo and Baker added the past year. US101 is better with the addition of San Luis, but it still might be an intermittent choke point this year if people opt for the more scenic and leisurely route between LA and the Bay Area.

I always travel from home in the Central Valley to Palm Desert the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The traffic streaming back into the Greater Metropolitan Los Angeles area from Arizona is incredible on Interstate 10 by late afternoon, while the eastbound traffic is negligible. Even though Superchargers have been added in San Bernardino and Riverside this past year, I wonder if there will be some congestion at Indio and Cabazon this year. I plan to avoid Cabazon and use some L2 chargers while I am in the desert for the week.

Reactions: israndy