Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning route using the Tesla app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since updating the Tesla app to 4.20.69 I've had two attempts to plan a route in the app and then send to the car - both without success! In both cases the route has planned out fine in the app and sent to the car without issue. However, when I get to the car it is displaying an error message essentially saying that it can't find the address. To give you the actual example from yesterday, I searched for and found the "Northampton and Lamport Railway, Pitsford station" in the app and set that as destination - no problem, and sent the route to the car. The car however just displayed the "Can't find address" error. When I searched for the same address within the car it planned the route OK.

Am I missing something here?

I haven't, yet, figured out how to use the APP to plan a route (I've only succeeded in "navigate to Supercharger", not anywhere else - which is probably my incompetence)

So I've reverted to Old School which (in case you are not familiar with it) is:

Google Maps
Sort out the Destination and plan a route etc.
Press SHARE
Sideway scroll and CLICK on the TESLA APP Icon from the list of "sharable stuff"
That's it. Destination is in SatNav when I subsequently get to the car.

Only other approach I use is:

Contact in my Phone
Make sure that has an address
WHEN IN THE CAR:
Go to PHONE then CONTACTS and click on the contact to bring up the details
Press the NAVIGATE (triangle pointer icon) rather than the PHONE icon

The latter has the advantage that if that Contact is in my Calendar then the car will assume I want to navigate there (if I get in the car on that day)

Reactions: Spacemanwho
It always use to be the case that no matter what you entered in app or website, sending to car only had it being sent as a partial postcode, eg TW12-2, which would get you to the district, but no closer even if you specified a road. Not unusual for that to be several miles away from actual required address.

The other issue was that if you sent a multistop trip, ie with waypoints, it would get confused and Iirc only recognised the first waypoint (might have just errored though). Since then, Tesla in car now supports multiple leg trips so that may have changed too.

Of course, send/share to car may still just work as it always use to, and not support multistop trips and send partial postcodes.

Thanks for the reply. This is interesting. I have in the past used exactly the same procedure you describe, i.e. plan the route in Google Maps and then share to the Tesla app. The result in many cases was exactly the same error as I described when using the Tesla app - "address not found" when I get in the car. I can only conclude that I must be looking for the "wrong" address!

The result in many cases was exactly the same error as I described when using the Tesla app

Interesting, maybe I've been lucky with the addresses I've chosen - or all my mates own the whole postcode region!!

I'll use it more rigorously from now on and see if it behaves, or if I can get that error too. I've only used it for single destination, when I do more complex trip planning I use ABetterRoutePlanner (which maybe also has "send to car"??), but for those sorts of complicated trips, with alternative stops and so on, I've then put it all in a spreadsheet .

This gets more bizarre. I planned a route in the app to "Wimpole Hall car park" (it's a NT property we're visiting later) and sent to the car. When I went to the car it said it couldn't find Unnamed Road. So I tried doing the exact same route again from the app while I sat in the car, sent it to the car and.... it worked perfectly! I'm even more puzzled now!

Since updating the Tesla app to 4.20.69 I've had two attempts to plan a route in the app and then send to the car - both without success! In both cases the route has planned out fine in the app and sent to the car without issue. However, when I get to the car it is displaying an error message essentially saying that it can't find the address. To give you the actual example from yesterday, I searched for and found the "Northampton and Lamport Railway, Pitsford station" in the app and set that as destination - no problem, and sent the route to the car. The car however just displayed the "Can't find address" error. When I searched for the same address within the car it planned the route OK.

Am I missing something here?
no, did you try any other address?

no, did you try any other address?
I did, with the same result, but see my post #6 where I get different results apparently depending on whether I send to the car remotely or whether I'm sat in the car and send. I don't know what format the route is sent to the car in but it seems like the car can't find the destination that’s sent to it. The only common factor is that the routes I've sent have all been off main roads (car parks for example). But the destination is found OK in the app, so why not the car? I would have thought both use a Google Maps API don't they?

I did, with the same result, but see my post #6 where I get different results apparently depending on whether I send to the car remotely or whether I'm sat in the car and send. I don't know what format the route is sent to the car in but it seems like the car can't find the destination that’s sent to it. The only common factor is that the routes I've sent have all been off main roads (car parks for example). But the destination is found OK in the app, so why not the car? I would have thought both use a Google Maps API don't they?
Ive sent couple and it did reach the car. But I wasn’t very specific in terms of post code or street.

t always use to be the case that no matter what you entered in app or website, sending to car only had it being sent as a partial postcode, eg TW12-2, which would get you to the district, but no closer even if you specified a road. Not unusual for that to be several miles away from actual required address.
This is still an issue.

Very specific address sent to car from iPhone calendar took us over half a mile away with a torturous route to get to proper destination. Should have checked before we set off and learned from previous lessons but it was an early start to an unfamiliar part of the country…