Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning trip to Carlsbad Caverns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit of an old thread, but it struck my interest, as I've spent some time around Carlsbad Caverns NP, and am keen for them to have EV charging facilities there, and/or in nearby Carlsbad or Roswell, NM. Unfortunately, little has improved although, as I understand, direct sales of Teslas have recently been improved in New Mexico, which may result in facilities improving, but right now there is nothing planned on the Supercharger map (Find Us | Tesla).

If heading east (reverse this if going west), using Superchargers, right now the best solution for many is to charge in El Paso, TX, drive to Carlsbad National Monument (164 miles), then drive to the supercharger at Pecos, TX (an additional 105 miles). This works marginally for long-range Teslas, but I'd want a 300+ mile range model with to be sure, and it doesn't really give a lot of room for side-trips.

A potentially interesting refinement of this is to use camper mode at the Hueco Tanks State Park, some distance east of El Paso, where they do have 16 spots with 50-amp (6 kW) hookups for $16/night that have been used by Tesla owners previously. It will reduce that first leg to 133 miles. Unfortunately none of the state parks in NM are sufficiently close to help, and even if they were there the NM park system tends to use 30-amp (2.5 kW) hookups, which are not-ideal and require a TT-30 adapter.

A final alternative it to go from El Paso TX, via the Supercharger at Van Horn, TX, which reduced the first leg to 108 miles, but is unfortunately somewhat out of the way, adding an extra hour or so. This last one is I think the only way to make it work on the shorter range models without serious range anxiety.

In summary, superchargers, or hotels with level 2 chargers, remain sorely lacking in SE New Mexico.

A bit of an old thread, but it struck my interest, as I've spent some time around Carlsbad Caverns NP, and am keen for them to have EV charging facilities there, and/or in nearby Carlsbad or Roswell, NM. Unfortunately, little has improved although, as I understand, direct sales of Teslas have recently been improved in New Mexico, which may result in facilities improving, but right now there is nothing planned on the Supercharger map (Find Us | Tesla).

If heading east (reverse this if going west), using Superchargers, right now the best solution for many is to charge in El Paso, TX, drive to Carlsbad National Monument (164 miles), then drive to the supercharger at Pecos, TX (an additional 105 miles). This works marginally for long-range Teslas, but I'd want a 300+ mile range model with to be sure, and it doesn't really give a lot of room for side-trips.

A potentially interesting refinement of this is to use camper mode at the Hueco Tanks State Park, some distance east of El Paso, where they do have 16 spots with 50-amp (6 kW) hookups for $16/night that have been used by Tesla owners previously. It will reduce that first leg to 133 miles. Unfortunately none of the state parks in NM are sufficiently close to help, and even if they were there the NM park system tends to use 30-amp (2.5 kW) hookups, which are not-ideal and require a TT-30 adapter.

A final alternative it to go from El Paso TX, via the Supercharger at Van Horn, TX, which reduced the first leg to 108 miles, but is unfortunately somewhat out of the way, adding an extra hour or so. This last one is I think the only way to make it work on the shorter range models without serious range anxiety.

In summary, superchargers, or hotels with level 2 chargers, remain sorely lacking in SE New Mexico.

Ah.... forgot about this thread. Good place for me to pitch my fundraiser.

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

Reactions: korinel
Ninja'd...

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: nwdiver
On that note, do you have any contingency plans in the event the GFM doesn't hit the $10k goal? Have you had any discussions with Tesla? I'm curious whether, say, you could get one set of stations in at $2,500, another at $5k, etc.

We're getting at least something in Roswell. I'll bridge the gap if need be. I'm still host hunting. If you know of a potential host please PM me.

Reactions: mociaf9 and Zaxxon
I made it to Carlsbad Caverns July 2018.
Stayed at KOA at far North end of town (again).
This time it was a bit larger Kabin including ensuite bathroom with shower and kitchenette, and made it to the Caverns twice.

This is NOT premium location for RV Park with Kabin accommodations, as the Caverns are 40 plus miles away from the KOA, so you need at least 90 miles for the RT.
If there is ANY other Hotel or (B&B) place to stay (closer) with 14/50 outlet, you might try that.

Charging at Van Horn on the way back took a really long time, partially because Ft. Stockton was not yet open, and needed a FULL charge.

At the Caverns:
From Late May until October the Park Rangers give a presentation at the outdoor amphitheater and permit you to observe the 400,000 or so bats emerge and depart.
It begins before dusk.
They also allow you to come and watch the next morning (4 AM to 6 AM) for the return flights.
No cameras, cellphone photos any kind of electronics allowed at the amphitheater -- The Park's Rules.
And you have to remain quiet.

There are several Great caves to explore, beside the Big Room.
Big Room takes almost an hour to wander through, it has 11 miles of wiring for all the lights. It has adequate and highlighted areas throughout the cave.

Bring your cameras, and maybe flashlights for adventuring.
Check the Tour Schedule as you probably need to advance purchase your tickets for the more interesting Caverns, or be prepared to wait for when the ranger-guided tours are scheduled (they have a list of Caverns and Tunnels, days and times).

Reactions: korinel
Looks like this project could use a little love. @nwdiver, have you had any luck reaching out to hotel chains? It seems amazing that absolutely no hotels in Carlsbad or Roswell has done so of their own initiative yet; This could provide a competitive edge for them.

I should add that Tesla will install destination chargers for free for businesses, and has sometimes helped with non-Tesla chargers too: https://electrek.co/2017/06/26/tesla-destination-charging-other-evs/

For those that like geology and/or Tesla camper mode, Bottomless Lakes State Park, just east of Roswell, has available and plentiful RV charging, both 30 and 50 amp sites: Bottomless Lakes, New Mexico - Camping Reservations & Campgrounds | ReserveAmerica

There is also Brantley Lake State Park, much closer to Carlsbad, with similar resources, but perhaps less striking for geology: Brantley Lake, New Mexico - Camping & Reservations | ReserveAmerica

In general, I've had good experiences with NM state parks, and the RV spots are also very reasonably priced (typically $10-15/night).

Last edited:
Looks like this project could use a little love. @nwdiver, have you had any luck reaching out to hotel chains? It seems amazing that absolutely no hotels in Carlsbad or Roswell has done so of their own initiative yet; This could provide a competitive edge for them.

I should add that Tesla will install destination chargers for free for businesses, and has sometimes helped with non-Tesla chargers too: https://electrek.co/2017/06/26/tesla-destination-charging-other-evs/

I believe that the free hardware program has gone the way of goodwill invoice credits at SvCs (without extra escalations and hassle. Which is to say it's toast.

Agreed that EV and in particular Tesla L2 charging is a growing differentiator. I know that I always check now after narrowing down a list of lodging options to see which ones have EV charging and which do not.

So far, my only trip to NM since getting a Tesla was really enabled by the state park system. Some locations, e.g. Rockhound State Park, only have the 30A, 110V system, which needs a special adapter and only gives about 2.5 kW charging speed, so be sure to check carefully. The 50A sites are NEMA 14-50, so about 6 kW, which is fantastic for overnight stays. For me, that's the way to go until New Mexico sorts itself out, or the gofundme initiative above takes off.

Sorry about the pause guys. I'm in WA right now so I can't meet with potential hosts in person but I have found a couple that are tepidly interested. Los Agaves in Artesia and Taste of Thai in Roswell. I'm hoping that I can get those two locations rolling after a face to face. I might need to set up some kind of payment scheme since the owners don't sound thrilled about donating electricity even if it's to customers. Still working. I'll be back in NM by the end of the month.

If you have any location ideas please PM me.

I'm unconvinced that restaurants are the way to go initially. A typical meal out is an hour or so, and that's not a big charge for that part of the country. Restauranteurs with dedicated parking lots often do not like people staying there for hours.

I personally like hotels, libraries, museums, recreational and dog parks, and shopping areas/malls. The types of coffee shops that people hang around in for hours using the wifi are also good. All have the potential to boost business.

And of course, Carlsbad Caverns makes a lot of sense, because of the sheer number of people that visit the region just because of that.

Reactions: Zaxxon and nwdiver