Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning trip with abetterrouteplanner.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! I'm not sure you understood any of the real issues in this thread at all.

I will say you are lucky to have bought the car in the winter. So all your future experiences will be much improved as the weather warms. I don't have any idea how you can say you arrived at your destination with 1 mile left and feel good about that. Good luck.

Why wouldn't I? It says I will arrive with 1 percent left if I drive under 60mph.... That's exactly what happened...I don't see what the problem is. If the car said I will arrive with 1 percent and my car died 20 miles prior then yes I would have been upset.

The point is the car does a fantastic job of telling you exactly what you need to do...I think it's you who is confused about issues in this thread... Aren't you the one who is trying to find a solution to getting accurate readings for this trip?

I have meetings all day everyday hence all the driving... These are not ever personal and so far with the car I have had no issues. Even if I did have to stop to charge just account for it and go.

Again how long have you had this car? I have only had it for 2 weeks I already feel no anxiety about miles and time... But this could possibly change if my battery degrades rapidly.

I'm starting to understand this other guy saying all you do is complain because I feel like all you are doing is just side stepping positive responses to complain more about your dislikes of the car. I thought you were here for solutions but if it's not about that then please say so so I don't have to comment and get insulted.

Not sure if everyone had the same thought as I had before buying this car but I did have worries about the real world miles as again I drive 240 miles per day 365 days per year including Christmas. So I really don't have time to waste at charging stations but CPA has told me I would save tremendous amounts of money driving this car instead of my other car (roughly $40k/year) so I bought the car. Before doing so I made sure I wouldn't be spending time at superchargers so I installed a hpwc at home and at my office.

I would highly suggest anyone purchasing this vehicle do the same research if you are on a time crunch and don't want to be in the same situation as op. I have not had to stop and charge at work at all and get home with a range of anywhere between 1 and 25 miles and I have had days with temps being in 20s. That is how confident I am with this system where I don't have anxiety even arriving with 1 mile left on the range. Some people may feel differently but for me so far the computer has not been off.

Why wouldn't I? It says I will arrive with 1 percent left if I drive under 60mph.... That's exactly what happened...I don't see what the problem is. If the car said I will arrive with 1 percent and my car died 20 miles prior then yes I would have been upset.

The other day when I was coming home the last 30 miles said I would have 10%, 11%, 10%, 9%... There is no reason to trust it to be that precise. In addition, anything could have happened as you were driving. It is not at all uncommon for a road to be closed and either you sit and wait or you are detoured. 1% margin is about 3 miles. I have driven my ICE enough that I can drive to within 10 miles of being empty without (much) fear of being caught short. But 3 miles??? That is simply insane. It's also not so good for the battery, but that's another discussion.

The point is the car does a fantastic job of telling you exactly what you need to do...I think it's you who is confused about issues in this thread... Aren't you the one who is trying to find a solution to getting accurate readings for this trip?

Yes, I wanted to know if I needed to plan for a stop. The car said I would have... I forget if it was 1 or 2 percent left. At the start of a trip it seems particularly negligent to blindly trust that the car would know everything that would happen. My last chance to charge was 100 miles from the end. If it still said 2% I would have stopped to charge.

I have meetings all day everyday hence all the driving... These are not ever personal and so far with the car I have had no issues. Even if I did have to stop to charge just account for it and go.

I don't know what that means, "account for it" and go. If you didn't allocate time for charging, how would you "account" for it? You mean be late to your next appointment?

Again how long have you had this car? I have only had it for 2 weeks I already feel no anxiety about miles and time... But this could possibly change if my battery degrades rapidly.

It's not a matter of anxiety. It's an issue of being able to plan a trip... specifically with abetterrouteplanner.com. I thought that was clear.

I'm starting to understand this other guy saying all you do is complain because I feel like all you are doing is just side stepping positive responses to complain more about your dislikes of the car. I thought you were here for solutions but if it's not about that then please say so so I don't have to comment and get insulted.

I was discussing the planning tools. You seem to be saying I am wrong for planning. I can't accept that. Planning is necessary.

Not sure if everyone had the same thought as I had before buying this car but I did have worries about the real world miles as again I drive 240 miles per day 365 days per year including Christmas. So I really don't have time to waste at charging stations but CPA has told me I would save tremendous amounts of money driving this car instead of my other car (roughly $40k/year) so I bought the car. Before doing so I made sure I wouldn't be spending time at superchargers so I installed a hpwc at home and at my office.

You are lucky. I guess you live someplace where it is never cold. Even charged at 100% my car won't make a 240 mile trip in freezing cold. That is a fact. Maybe you have a model 3? That's the longest range version Tesla. But if you drive here and don't plan.... you will be sitting along the highway.

I would highly suggest anyone purchasing this vehicle do the same research if you are on a time crunch and don't want to be in the same situation as op. I have not had to stop and charge at work at all and get home with a range of anywhere between 1 and 25 miles and I have had days with temps being in 20s. That is how confident I am with this system where I don't have anxiety even arriving with 1 mile left on the range. Some people may feel differently but for me so far the computer has not been off.

I'm glad you are happy. I will never plan to come in with only 1% remaining on my charge. I don't have that much confidence in any device I have.

I guess the term is new to you. When used in English the additional article is quite correct as in this example from Iolanthe:

'Twould fill with joy,
And madness stark
The oι πoλλoί!
(pi is the Greek p and the upside down y things are pronouned as L in English)

A redundant article is often used with borrowings. We speak of the algebras, the algorithms, the alcohols etc. "al" also means "the".

Anyway, what Tesla (and other EV manufacturers need) is a battery with 2 - 4 times the energy density, 2- 4 times the charging stations and a computer that doesn't crash every 20 minutes. Right now the cars are for tecchies. Not poets.

More energy density is the Holy Grail of battery makers and has been for some time. This is not likely to change any time soon. They also want to double the charging rate. What is practical is doubling the number of chargers or even quadrupling them. Yes, currently the cars are for the early adopters which does not rule out poets or anyone else, but it does mean you need to make compromises.

It doesn't mean you need to use incorrect grammar though, like "the hoi polloi". I guess using "the" with hoi polloi is acceptable to hoi polloi.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
The other day when I was coming home the last 30 miles said I would have 10%, 11%, 10%, 9%... There is no reason to trust it to be that precise. In addition, anything could have happened as you were driving. It is not at all uncommon for a road to be closed and either you sit and wait or you are detoured. 1% margin is about 3 miles. I have driven my ICE enough that I can drive to within 10 miles of being empty without (much) fear of being caught short. But 3 miles??? That is simply insane. It's also not so good for the battery, but that's another discussion.

Yes, I wanted to know if I needed to plan for a stop. The car said I would have... I forget if it was 1 or 2 percent left. At the start of a trip it seems particularly negligent to blindly trust that the car would know everything that would happen. My last chance to charge was 100 miles from the end. If it still said 2% I would have stopped to charge.

I don't know what that means, "account for it" and go. If you didn't allocate time for charging, how would you "account" for it? You mean be late to your next appointment?

It's not a matter of anxiety. It's an issue of being able to plan a trip... specifically with abetterrouteplanner.com. I thought that was clear.

I was discussing the planning tools. You seem to be saying I am wrong for planning. I can't accept that. Planning is necessary.

You are lucky. I guess you live someplace where it is never cold. Even charged at 100% my car won't make a 240 mile trip in freezing cold. That is a fact. Maybe you have a model 3? That's the longest range version Tesla. But if you drive here and don't plan.... you will be sitting along the highway.

I'm glad you are happy. I will never plan to come in with only 1% remaining on my charge. I don't have that much confidence in any device I have.

Ok so after this reply I don't think I can really have any kind of decent discussion with you as you seen to only complain about your issues and not trying to resolve anything... Also you seem to have some kind of selective reading.

I drive an x100d for the 4th time and until the car seems to be way off why would you not trust it to a degree? Obviously anyone buying this car I would hope is smart enough to not blindly trust everything 100 percent but obviously you think that is the case with me. So I'm letting you know since everything has to be explained to you word for word that you have to trust it with some thought. Yes the estimates are exactly that, estimates, but it is fairly accurate regarding trip planning (not the miles left on bottom left dash).

When I'm driving back home and put in navigation it tells you what percent you will arrive with and it must calculate temperature also. It has specifically told me that my 100 mile trip back home I would have 3 percent left if I drove under 60mph and it was like 28 degrees. When I got home after driving an average about 60mph I had roughly 7 miles left... Yes that's closer to 2 percent but I would say that is pretty accurate and it's been like that on multiple occasions. So would it be accurate to say I can trust this thing to some high degree?

Unless you are driving erratically every car I have driven send to be pretty accurate to their epa estimates... My other car is an s8 plus which epa estimates are 18 City and 26 highway... Obviously if I floor it everywhere I go all the time I would never get those ratings however when I'm cruising on the highway at 78mph I'm averaging 27mpg and every car has been that way for me.

Also regarding planning... No one said you should not plan and I never said you should not plan. I said you should plan with the navigation on board as that seems to be extremely accurate. And I don't see how you don't understand what accounting for something means unless English is not your first language... Yes you should account for your charging stops so you are not late for your meetings (common sense I would think).

But again this whole thing with you seems to be more about you just complaining about every little thing and not trying to lose an argument. Most people here were commenting trying to help you or I thought.

And as far as degrading battery we will see what happens but I didn't buy this car to preserve the battery and if it degrades rapidly I'm covered under the 8 year unlimited mile warranty. I bought the car hoping to get as close to 295 miles as I can as I drive a lot... Why should I have to charge less and not run the battery down? That is Tesla's problem not mine as they advertise 295 miles at 100 percent charge. If I charged to 90 percent everyday then most likely I would have to charge in between on half of the days which I would not like but luckily I have installed a hpwc at one of my stores.

Either way if you are not satisfied with the car you should definitely get rid of it.... And if you didn't do enough research buying into a new technology then that's your fault.

It doesn't mean you need to use incorrect grammar though, like "the hoi polloi". I guess using "the" with hoi polloi is acceptable to hoi polloi.

I often marvel at the willingness of people to advertise their ignorance in a public, archived forum.

From the OED
"Hoi is the Greek word for the, and the phrase hoi polloi means ‘the many.’ This has led some traditionalists to insist that hoi polloi should not be used in English with the, since that would be to state the word the twice. But, once established in English, expressions such as hoi polloi are typically treated as fixed units and are subject to the rules and conventions of English. Evidence shows that use with the has now become an accepted part of standard English usage: they kept to themselves, away from the hoi polloi (rather than away from hoi polloi)."

"Now" in the above quote is apparently any time after 1882.

• Informative
Ok so after this reply I don't think I can really have any kind of decent discussion with you as you seen to only complain about your issues and not trying to resolve anything... Also you seem to have some kind of selective reading.

I respond to what others write. The problem seems to be that I was trying to discuss the abetterrouteplanner tool and many people seemed to think that was me asking for advise in driving the car. Go back and read the thread. I think you will see this clearly if you look.

I drive an x100d for the 4th time and until the car seems to be way off why would you not trust it to a degree? Obviously anyone buying this car I would hope is smart enough to not blindly trust everything 100 percent but obviously you think that is the case with me. So I'm letting you know since everything has to be explained to you word for word that you have to trust it with some thought. Yes the estimates are exactly that, estimates, but it is fairly accurate regarding trip planning (not the miles left on bottom left dash).

See, there it is again. Nothing at all about the planning tool. Just your personal experience with the car on trips where you got lucky and the navigation prediction was close enough that you managed to arrive with only 3 miles of range left.

You could check with the personal experience of others. Bjørn Nyland had a model X quit with 14 km left on the range. The car said he could make it to the next charger but he was left stranded a few km away. While he was sitting there trying to get help the gauge changed from 14 km to 0 km. lol That's a great reason to not trust your car to give you every last mile it says you can use. But you can rely on your personal experience until you are left having to transport your car on a flatbed. Even then, if your 12 volt battery is not in good shape, you will be left with a car you can't even charge... again, check the Bjørn Nyland videos.

When I'm driving back home and put in navigation it tells you what percent you will arrive with and it must calculate temperature also. It has specifically told me that my 100 mile trip back home I would have 3 percent left if I drove under 60mph and it was like 28 degrees. When I got home after driving an average about 60mph I had roughly 7 miles left... Yes that's closer to 2 percent but I would say that is pretty accurate and it's been like that on multiple occasions. So would it be accurate to say I can trust this thing to some high degree?

Yes, it will calculate based on the current temperature. But it doesn't know what the temp will be by your trip end. It may not make a large difference, but you said you have driven home with 1%. Above you say the prediction was off by 1%!!! All this after driving the car just 2 weeks.

Unless you are driving erratically every car I have driven send to be pretty accurate to their epa estimates... My other car is an s8 plus which epa estimates are 18 City and 26 highway... Obviously if I floor it everywhere I go all the time I would never get those ratings however when I'm cruising on the highway at 78mph I'm averaging 27mpg and every car has been that way for me.

I don't know what you are trying to say here. Are you suggesting you can get the epa rated range on your typical trip in the X?

Also regarding planning... No one said you should not plan and I never said you should not plan. I said you should plan with the navigation on board as that seems to be extremely accurate. And I don't see how you don't understand what accounting for something means unless English is not your first language... Yes you should account for your charging stops so you are not late for your meetings (common sense I would think).

Perhaps it wasn't you, but someone was saying just get in the car and go! The thread started because I wanted to plan the trip the night before so I could email my arrival and set my alarm. That's part of planning. Since the car was not fully charged and I didn't want to go out in the rain doing it in the car was a bad idea. So how would that have worked exactly???

The context of "accounting" was on the fly. By definition "on the fly" means things didn't happen the way you had "accounted" for them. I don't think I am the one who needs English lessons.

But again this whole thing with you seems to be more about you just complaining about every little thing and not trying to lose an argument. Most people here were commenting trying to help you or I thought.

I think it is clear we have exceeded a point of communication. You don't seem to actually read what I post and continue to claim that it should be reasonable to plan to drive to a charger with only 1% left on the battery. Sorry, that won't work for me ever. I don't care how many times you made that work in two weeks of driving.

And as far as degrading battery we will see what happens but I didn't buy this car to preserve the battery and if it degrades rapidly I'm covered under the 8 year unlimited mile warranty. I bought the car hoping to get as close to 295 miles as I can as I drive a lot... Why should I have to charge less and not run the battery down? That is Tesla's problem not mine as they advertise 295 miles at 100 percent charge. If I charged to 90 percent everyday then most likely I would have to charge in between on half of the days which I would not like but luckily I have installed a hpwc at one of my stores.

The degradation has to get to some large number before they will replace your battery. Maybe 20%. I don't even want 5% degradation if I can easily avoid it as that makes all my trips harder to complete. Once the charger in Frederick is open I will be a lot happier with the car. Until then I will plan every trip I go on and maybe I'll be able to get some help with the abetterrouteplanner tool. That was the purpose of this thread until people started telling me I was wrong to use it.

Either way if you are not satisfied with the car you should definitely get rid of it.... And if you didn't do enough research buying into a new technology then that's your fault.

Should have known you would get to this point. lol Love it or leave it. So now I was wrong to buy the car. Ok, thanks for the advice.

I respond to what others write. The problem seems to be that I was trying to discuss the abetterrouteplanner tool and many people seemed to think that was me asking for advise in driving the car. Go back and read the thread. I think you will see this clearly if you look.

See, there it is again. Nothing at all about the planning tool. Just your personal experience with the car on trips where you got lucky and the navigation prediction was close enough that you managed to arrive with only 3 miles of range left.

You could check with the personal experience of others. Bjørn Nyland had a model X quit with 14 km left on the range. The car said he could make it to the next charger but he was left stranded a few km away. While he was sitting there trying to get help the gauge changed from 14 km to 0 km. lol That's a great reason to not trust your car to give you every last mile it says you can use. But you can rely on your personal experience until you are left having to transport your car on a flatbed. Even then, if your 12 volt battery is not in good shape, you will be left with a car you can't even charge... again, check the Bjørn Nyland videos.

Yes, it will calculate based on the current temperature. But it doesn't know what the temp will be by your trip end. It may not make a large difference, but you said you have driven home with 1%. Above you say the prediction was off by 1%!!! All this after driving the car just 2 weeks.

I don't know what you are trying to say here. Are you suggesting you can get the epa rated range on your typical trip in the X?

Perhaps it wasn't you, but someone was saying just get in the car and go! The thread started because I wanted to plan the trip the night before so I could email my arrival and set my alarm. That's part of planning. Since the car was not fully charged and I didn't want to go out in the rain doing it in the car was a bad idea. So how would that have worked exactly???

The context of "accounting" was on the fly. By definition "on the fly" means things didn't happen the way you had "accounted" for them. I don't think I am the one who needs English lessons.

I think it is clear we have exceeded a point of communication. You don't seem to actually read what I post and continue to claim that it should be reasonable to plan to drive to a charger with only 1% left on the battery. Sorry, that won't work for me ever. I don't care how many times you made that work in two weeks of driving.

The degradation has to get to some large number before they will replace your battery. Maybe 20%. I don't even want 5% degradation if I can easily avoid it as that makes all my trips harder to complete. Once the charger in Frederick is open I will be a lot happier with the car. Until then I will plan every trip I go on and maybe I'll be able to get some help with the abetterrouteplanner tool. That was the purpose of this thread until people started telling me I was wrong to use it.

Should have known you would get to this point. lol Love it or leave it. So now I was wrong to buy the car. Ok, thanks for the advice.

why is it lucky that it says I would arrive with 1 percent if I drive under 60mph and I arrive with 1 mile left? Its happened multiple times and seems pretty accurate...others have agreed in other threads that the navigation is pretty accurate. bjorn is one case and im sure there have been others that have been left stranded but there are many more that have not been stranded...also there are videos out there where people drive 5 miles past 0. Yes what I am doing is a bit risky that most others will probably not do however I am in a particular situation and willing to take that chance.

yes I can get the epa rated miles if I drive 60mph easily...there are some that have driven over 600 miles in a tesla s100d which is double that of the rated miles...obviously no one drives like this on a normal basis. again epa ratings are controlled tests and yes they can be achieved since they were achieved by the epa.

accounting is on the fly which means to account for during the event...also it was a typo obviously since I didnt use accounting in the original statement...just saying you should account for different situations when planning your trip such as rain/temp...no one here needs english lessons lol.

yes degradation needs to be probably 30% before they will replace your battery and yes it will be sort of a pain if it gets down that low, but there are plenty of people out there that have over 200k miles with only 10% degradation so we will see what happens with me.

anyway so did you make the trip? was abrp right or wrong with the power consumption and was it accurate to the point you can trust it? or is the on board navigation better? in the op you did mention that you are frustrated with this car because it is rated for 289 miles yet you cant get more than 190 miles...i hope you knew that 289 miles was if you charged to 100% and drove it to 0% but of course you knew that...i think that is where people were commenting about you not charging to 100%.

also you were assuming that you couldnt drive more than 190 miles as you at that point have not taken that trip...so let us know how the trip went as I am interested in hearing what others have done on long trips.

Gnuarm,

I bought my p90x two months ago and live in a state where the average supercharger distance is 180ish miles apart, so I can sympathize with your concerns. My take on it however is that EV cars (Tesla, others) just require more long distance trip planning and planning than ICE cars. Whether one has the interest, time, or energy to do all that I think what separates whether it makes sense to invest in the technology as a primary mode of transportation. Some people just want to ‘fill up and go’ and not think about it much. Given the less availability of superchargers compared to gas stations that’s just not a feasible approach because if your estimate of range/energy/etc are off because you’ll be on the side of the road.

An example this past weekend, I drove to a ski town. I have 22 inch rims. My 100% battery charge is 233 miles (the car was used and I think has some battery degradation that p90s had). The first supercharger distance from my home is 186 miles. It is 30 degrees outside. No snow or rain on ground. Evtripplanner gave me an estimate of anywhere from 4-8% for arrival. My Tesla navigation gave me an arrival of 4%. I warmed my car for a good hour before I left to optimize battery range. When I started driving I put the autopilot at 5 beneath the speed limit to be safe. After about half the trip my estimated navigation arrival was 12%, so I increased my speed to 5-10 above to make time. I eventually arrived at the supercharger with 7%.

On the return there happened to be a heavy snow storm for part of the trip and rain/ice on the ground. Temperature was again 30 degrees. Tesla navigation had me again arriving at 5% home. However I knew that estimation does not take into account weather (temperature and more importantly, the snow storm). Shortly after starting the trip the navigation told me to ‘drive beneath 60 to make the destination’. I drove 50 mph for first half of trip, then my arrival battery estimate rose to 9% and I drove the speed limit the rest of the way. I arrived at 6% battery. 186 miles in a snow storm, 30 degrees outside, with 22 inch rims, in a car with 100% rated range of 233 miles. That’s pretty reasonable..however it required the trip a general awareness of how much energy I was consuming, paying attention to wind data (via teslawinds app), recognizing what elements the navigation doesn’t take into account well (wind strength, temperature) then adjusting my driving habits for those different circumstances. For example, on the way way for 50 miles there was a headwind of 15 mph..I slowed my car down for that segment because I didn’t want to burn up additional energy when the overall range was marginal.

In the summer on a sunny day this same trip length segment i’ll likely be able to make driving the speed limit or a few higher without thinking about it much.

Is all that effort worthwhile to make that trip? If I got in my ICE car I’d just drive until I had a third of a tank left then start looking for gas stations along the way. I guess it depends on what things you value. For my priorities, I love the car, love the technology, drive around town 95 percent of the time without having to think about range at all because I charge it nightly. The 5% of the time they j have to ‘think about it more’ for longer trips is a small price to pay. If I drove length distance more commonly those priorities could be very different..perhaps that is the situation your in.

After reading thru this entire thread, im convinced some people visit these forums only to provoke others into arguments.

Back on topic, never had a problem with abetterrouteplanner or even the tesla trip planner in the car making me stranded anywhere.

And i've logged on average ~26,000 tesla miles in a calendar year since March 2017. The key is to use all the tools available to you, and common sense. The tesla route planner is conservative, it will always plan for u to get to the chargers with more charge than you need.

A betterrouteplanner will maximize trip time, but sometimes at the cost of efficiency. But that tool cannot get feedback on the real world performance of your car as you drive (such as weather conditions), so don't count it 100%.

While others have reported being stranded despite the energy gauge reading some range left, i've personally driven down to 2 miles no big deal. And i saw someone mention Bjorn get stranded at 14km. Theres also another video where he went down to 0km and the car kept driving, so YMMV.

But that tool cannot get feedback on the real world performance of your car as you drive (such as weather conditions)...

There is a web app called TeslaWinds (TeslaWinds.com) that pulls wind data from OpenWethermap.com. Some of the data is from forecasts and some is stale but that's got to be better than nothing. Of course I can't get it to work. Anyone else here using it?

OTOH if you see range predicted as being 20% shy of your goal just slow down 20% and turn that deficit into a surplus.

Ajdelange,

I used teslawinds on a recent trip when I had very marginal reserve on a leg of the trip (<5% battery estimated arrival). It was VERY helpful and informative to me. I think the heading/tailwind information allowed me to be more proactive in slowing my rate of speed in inclement weather when I realized I had an accompanying significant headwind. It reduces the anxiety of worrying that your 5% will turn into -2% because with that information you should be able to account for all main extra factors that the navigation does not take into account (headwind, weather, temperature). It made me confident that if I had another destination with 2-5% estimated arrival that I would be able to likely make it if I had to.

In thinking about all this I remembered (or think I remembered) the FAA rules: Load enough fuel to reach your destination, go around, proceed to an alternate and fly half an hour beyond that. I'm starting to think of the trip planning process in those terms.
Especially in places where your life depends on a car heater. In the Sierras all it takes is one event to close a road for hours. The alternatives are often an additional 50 or more miles out of the way and often have to be decided upon very early or you can get trapped in traffic. And if weather causes the event, it often means all three routes will be affected. It's not unusual for people to be stranded for 5 hours or more in traffic jams.

In thinking about all this I remembered (or think I remembered) the FAA rules: Load enough fuel to reach your destination, go around, proceed to an alternate and fly half an hour beyond that. I'm starting to think of the trip planning process in those terms.

I think that is a bit overly cautious for driving a Tesla. If everyone used that approach no one would drive between LA and Phoenix where I think you don't always have an alternate... at least not a Supercharger alternate.

I'd just like a reasonable indication of what any given trip will provide. I'm planning a trip now where I will leave Frederick, MD on my way to Crossville, TN and will have to use abetterrouteplanner since the car can't plan that for me. Not having a Supercharger in Frederick yet makes it all the harder. First stop, Hagerstown, MD to charge I expect even though it's not on the way.

and will have to use abetterrouteplanner since the car can't plan that for me.
Why would you say the car can't plan this for you?

I'm planning a trip now where I will leave Frederick, MD on my way to Crossville, TN and will have to use abetterrouteplanner since the car can't plan that for me. Not having a Supercharger in Frederick yet makes it all the harder. First stop, Hagerstown, MD to charge I expect even though it's not on the way.
This is sounding like another one of your made-up B.S. complaints against Tesla. Why would you say you have to go out of your way Northward to Hagerstown first, when you could go straight along the perfect direct route from Frederick, MD to Strasburg, VA, and it's only 68 miles? You're starting from almost empty, aren't you, and then whining and complaining that it's the car's fault, or Tesla's deficient Supercharger network's fault?

*Edit* And regarding Frederick, MD, there is a free CHAdeMO station in Frederick, where the store that hosts it even has a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter you can borrow!
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Last edited:
Why would you say the car can't plan this for you?

The car can't plan any trip that doesn't start where the car is located. The car doesn't really have a trip planner, it has a "show me the way to the next charger" planner. On my last trip I wanted to monitor the predicted state of charge at the destination and found I can't do that in any view other than the whole trip view. I don't get what's up with that. If I select the close in on the current position view it changes the destination list to hide the final charge level and if I show the final charge level it changes the map view.

This is sounding like another one of your made-up B.S. complaints against Tesla. Why would you say you have to go out of your way Northward to Hagerstown first, when you could go straight along the perfect direct route from Frederick, MD to Strasburg, VA, and it's only 68 miles? You're starting from almost empty, aren't you, and then whining and complaining that it's the car's fault, or Tesla's deficient Supercharger network's fault?

Yes, anything negative about Tesla is made up and anyone who points out the many limitations is whining.

*Edit* And regarding Frederick, MD, there is a free CHAdeMO station in Frederick, where the store that hosts it even has a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter you can borrow!
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Which has never worked on the three times I have tried it which I have posted about in several threads. Until they get the new Superchargers installed in Frederick, it is a veritable wasteland of EV charging. Even the L2 charging is much less common than in other locals.

If you don't like this thread, why do you keep posting to it?

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD
The car can't plan any trip that doesn't start where the car is located. The car doesn't really have a trip planner, it has a "show me the way to the next charger" planner.
Ah, quite valid. It is a car navigation system, after all, so planning trips from where the car isn't is not really what it's set up for, like any car navigation would be. So the car can plan that when you are there.

On my last trip I wanted to monitor the predicted state of charge at the destination and found I can't do that in any view other than the whole trip view. I don't get what's up with that. If I select the close in on the current position view it changes the destination list to hide the final charge level and if I show the final charge level it changes the map view.
That is odd; I have no problem doing that just fine in any of the three map view options. When you switch to one of the closer map views (North up or forward up), it does show the next upcoming turns, but the % estimate at destination is still always there at the bottom of the list of directions. I think you might need to scroll the list of directions up, though sometimes to see it.

Yes, anything negative about Tesla is made up and anyone who points out the many limitations is whining.
Not anything negative. Things that don't make sense and aren't true qualify, though.

Which has never worked on the three times I have tried it which I have posted about in several threads. Until they get the new Superchargers installed in Frederick, it is a veritable wasteland of EV charging. Even the L2 charging is much less common than in other locals.
OK, I didn't know you had already tried it and had problems. It is very highly rated with a lot of frequent successful checkins on Plugshare, so it seems like it gets frequent use and is really reliable.

If you don't like this thread, why do you keep posting to it?
I don't dislike the thread. I just want to make sure people aren't getting misled by things you are saying.

Reactions: KJD
Ah, quite valid. It is a car navigation system, after all, so planning trips from where the car isn't is not really what it's set up for, like any car navigation would be. So the car can plan that when you are there.

That is odd; I have no problem doing that just fine in any of the three map view options. When you switch to one of the closer map views (North up or forward up), it does show the next upcoming turns, but the % estimate at destination is still always there at the bottom of the list of directions. I think you might need to scroll the list of directions up, though sometimes to see it.

I wish you would read my posts thoroughly. I said when I scroll up so I can see the estimate the map changes to show the full trip view.

Not anything negative. Things that don't make sense and aren't true qualify, though.

Yes, indeed. It has been stated that I am obviously not even a Tesla owner because of these posts. LOL

OK, I didn't know you had already tried it and had problems. It is very highly rated with a lot of frequent successful checkins on Plugshare, so it seems like it gets frequent use and is really reliable.

It works for the Nissans I can say. I've seen them charging several times. There have been discussions about why it won't work and one person has said he would drop by to help debug the issue. But I don't really have the time and at this point I don't think the store cares. So this charger is not for Teslas.

I don't dislike the thread. I just want to make sure people aren't getting misled by things you are saying.

Yes, well thank you.

I wish you would read my posts thoroughly. I said when I scroll up so I can see the estimate the map changes to show the full trip view.
I have never heard of it switching views just from moving the directions up and down and never seen it do anything like that. There's something odd going on there that isn't normal functionality. I'll experiment with that a bit and see if I can figure out what might cause something like what you're seeing. I've only ever seen it switch views by touching the toggle button that is there to switch between those three view types.