Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plastic vibration noise inside coming from dash area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
I finally found what was causing the noise from the front dash area at higher speeds. It was hard to hear but I noticed it often and it drove me crazy. Lift the frunk lid all the way up, look down where the hinges meet the body. There are little plastic type cover that cover the hinge, they flop around loosely, not even sure what their purpose is. I used 3M double side tape and fastened them in place, noise is gone, in case anyone else has this issue.

I finally found what was causing the noise from the front dash area at higher speeds. It was hard to hear but I noticed it often and it drove me crazy. Lift the frunk lid all the way up, look down where the hinges meet the body. There are little plastic type cover that cover the hinge, they flop around loosely, not even sure what their purpose is. I used 3M double side tape and fastened them in place, noise is gone, in case anyone else has this issue.

Thanks for sharing, will have to check mine out later today. I figured it was wind related because I only hear it at higher speeds and not on uneven roads. I’m hearing something similar on the passenger side of the dash. Was yours on the passenger side as well?

I have a very similar rattle that started on the drivers side coming from the same place at speeds >35mph. Had my car for 1000 miles before this started up. I found the plastic cover on the hinges that is very loose and rattles around and doesn't seem to have any purpose. Will try the sticky tape idea and see what happens.

Hey gang, just took delivery of my M3 Standard on June 6th (a day after the $2500 California rebate cutoff) with a build date of June 3rd, and unfortunately the rattle has begun for me as well. Started on 2nd day of ownership coming from the dash area:

Dropbox - 20190610_100733.mp4 - Simplify your life

I have a service appointment on Friday (a day after return deadline, of course) so hopefully it gets sorted (along with driver side window lower trim door gap).

Keep you guys posted!

Hey gang, just took delivery of my M3 Standard on June 6th (a day after the $2500 California rebate cutoff) with a build date of June 3rd, and unfortunately the rattle has begun for me as well. Started on 2nd day of ownership coming from the dash area:

Dropbox - 20190610_100733.mp4 - Simplify your life

I have a service appointment on Friday (a day after return deadline, of course) so hopefully it gets sorted (along with driver side window lower trim door gap).

Keep you guys posted!
I had a service too. They “fixed” it by stuffing more insulation some where. It didnt touch the problem. I havent been able to go back since. It took them 3 days to do that.

Thank you for that amazing tip! Just got a quote of $195 for service center to look into it for me. Text said rattle sounds are not covered by warranty unless something it found to be broken.

Noise for me is also from the same area and under the same driving conditions. I noticed it about 1,500 mi in and it has taken till 3,500 for it to annoy me into knowing I must act.

Thanks again!

“Thank you for that amazing tip! Just got a quote of $195 for service center to look into it for me. Text said rattle sounds are not covered by warranty unless something it found to be broken.”

Seriously? They are actually refusing warranty work now? This company is sinking lower and lower by the day. I am very seriously thinking of trading my SR in and taking my losses.

Reactions: Motron3030
I’ll try it. Having same issue including multiple drives with techs. Thanks!

Same rattle here. In dash and started after ~3000 miles. When sitting in the driver's seat, it sounds like the right side of the dash. When I'm in the passenger seat, it sounds like the left side of the dash.

Has anyone had success with tieing down the frunk hinge plastic pieces? I tried using single sided packing tape (didn't feel very secure) and that didn't work. I will try jamming some paper next.

My VIN is in the 66000s. Is this a "time of manufacture" thing?

I had a similar issue on my front, driver side dash. It sounded like a washer that was clanking against a piece of metal or glass. I took it into the service center shortly after delivery and they were able to resolve it. However, about two weeks ago the issue popped up again. I contacted my service center and they told me it may not be covered by warranty, they want a pre-approval on charges. Not thrilled by their response but hoping that given it is a reoccurring issue already covered under warranty once, that it will be covered again.

I'll see if they can provide details relating to the first fix, I'm curious what they actually did to resolve it. Might be useful to others.

Edit: Heard back from Service, they noted that they had to refit the A-Pillar to resolve the noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vincent T
Similar thing happened to me a few months back, My car is an Aug 2018 build (VIN: 097730). When driving at highway speeds, I would hear what sounded like a rattle at the base of the windshield, almost as though air was coming thru from under the hood and rattling something. Thought it could have been the washer hoses that go to the wipers that was rattling on the black plastic base on the bottom of the windshield. At one point, I was just cleaning the frunk plastic trim, when I came upon those same plastic pieces attached to the hood hinges that others have talked about. Notice my passenger one was pretty loose, so I fastened it a bit tighter to the hinge. Didn't add anything to it, but the sound has been gone and hasn't come back since. Did this about 3 months ago.

--Cintoman