Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plastic vibration noise inside coming from dash area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I taped those plastic hinges but it seems that it didn’t solve my issue. Granted even with the tape it wasn’t secure enough that it still wiggles slightly. I’ll redo the tape and make sure the plastic hinges are really secure. This vibration is kinda annoying to me when I don’t have the music on.

Well I double-sided taped up both of the frunk hinge rattler parts, but that didn't get rid of my rattle. I went around the front of the car tapping on all the body parts and found that the entire drivers side quarter panel and headlight assembly seem to be loose and rattling, where the passenger side seems to be tight. Will have to look again tomorrow and see if there is just a loose bolt I can tighen up, otherwise will need to make a service request.

Had the same issue and had scheduled service for it. I have the guys out there right now looking at another issue regarding the felt around the door openings and showed them. They are going to see what they can do and then I can update you all. Fingers crossed.

I have a similar issue on the driver side, but it is only audible once the dash is a bit warm after sitting in the sun. Just got it back from SC and it's still rattling. I was able to recreate it with a tech in the vehicle.

Is there any write up on dash removal? I've seen videos on how to get the wood dash piece off but I want to take the upper flat part off.

My Vin is 362K The plastic covers are a simple hinge cover so you see black plastic from outside in lieu of seeing the actual hinge. I used 3m tape to stick the tabs to the hinge itself....clean it with alcohol first.

Also have a rattle when it is hot, it is the cloth covered piece that runs across the top of the dash up against the windshield, at the very left near the vin plate it rattles there, put your finger on it and it stops, this may also happen on the passenger side too. I will figure out a way to stop it, it seems like it needs something that it should have snapped into when it was assembled.

5B8537BD-3ADD-4B74-A64F-E2849E6DC43B.jpeg
I think it’s this piece...

Last edited:
I have a vibration rattle on the passenger corner of the dash. it is NOT the plastic piece under the hood on the outside of the car. It is under the soft mesh cover at the base of the windshield. I removed that mesh cover and found the rattle. Unfortunately I don't know how to remediate it without taking apart more of the dash.

For those of you who have ruled out the plastic piece on the hood, just bang your fist (doesn't need to be too hard) on the dashboard near the rattle. You should be able to cause a bit of the vibration rattle with your fist.

To remove the mesh cover, you need to remove a small plastic panel next to the glovebox. That will allow you to remove the A-pillar cover. That will then give you pry access to the mesh. Just be careful - the dash material scratches easily.

Video for removal instructions:

start at 3:52 if that link doesn't preserve the start point.

Once the mesh cover is removed, press down on the plastic near the speaker. While doing that, bang your fist on the dash again. If your issue is the same as mine, you won't hear the vibration rattle. So.... to fix, you'll need to shim under the piece you're pushing down on. I have no clue how to get under there.

But at least SC or mobile service won't need to spend time with diagnosis....

Did you go to the dealer yet? I taped down the little plastic things under the frunk and that didnt do it. I have an appointment next week, but if i can give them any direction it would help, since they didnt fix it the first time
HVAC Duct was not connected, it's probably 95% better but if I go over a severe bump I'll hear a plastic rattle.... I guess I won't complain since I'll be having all that torn out for the FSD computer replacement

Mine only vibrates when the dash has warmed up from the sun. If I hit the dash with my first I can hear the vibration like something is loose on the driver's side. Now the passenger side seems to be vibrating as well.

In any other car, I would take it apart and look myself, but I haven't found any tutorials on disassembling the main part of the dash. The airbag is right there as well so I'm very hesitant to just start opening things up.

Reactions: brandonee916
Mine only vibrates when the dash has warmed up from the sun. If I hit the dash with my first I can hear the vibration like something is loose on the driver's side. Now the passenger side seems to be vibrating as well.

In any other car, I would take it apart and look myself, but I haven't found any tutorials on disassembling the main part of the dash. The airbag is right there as well so I'm very hesitant to just start opening things up.
This is exactly my symptoms on the passenger side, only once it's warm... I'm going to stay with the Mobile Tech so I can watch how the glovebox comes out... I think it's something with that.